Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917
Default What crap is this?!?

Not that it really means anything but the ESPN power rankings are a joke
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

How can teams that lost be ranked higher than the teams that beat them? What a joke!!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: What crap is this?!?

Vikings, Colts and Cowboys are still the sexy picks. They can lose a couple games and still stay on top of the rankings. If they lose a few in a row though, watch them drop down.

And I agree with you....the ESPN rankings are a complete joke.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

In my estimation, Prisco's at CBS are the worst. His teeny little boner for the Bungholes is always peeking out of his fly. ESPN's are bad. I stopped following all of that stuff, but as I recall PFW's tended to be reasonable, somewhat well thought out.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,035 Times in 2,579 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

lol i haven't seen a list this inaccurate in my life. i mean for ****s sake.

san francisco rated higher than seattle after they just lost to them like 31-6? not only a loss but a total blowout?
chiefs still ranked much lower than SD who they just beat
redskins beat the cowboys, and are still ranked 6 slots below them lol
colts ahead of the texans?

yeah, it's not an accurate list it's a suck-off fest lol. he's going mainly by reputation and last year's trends forgetting that this is a different season.

texans and chiefs are 2 teams on the up and will probably surprise many
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

We'll see come playoff time whos what in the NFL= which stands for ( Not For Long) if they keep pickin like this.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,195 Times in 500 Posts

Here's my top 10 picks I just got done putting together:

StainlessStill's Week 1 power rankings:

1. New Orleans Saints: Givin the level of competition vs other teams, New Orleans got the job done against a tough Vikings defense in a close game that could have gone either way. It wasn't the shootout New Orleans fans had hoped, but winning on defense is even prettier sometimes.

2. Houston Texans: The Texans FINALLY made a statement against the team that tormented their division and themselves since their existence. Beating Peyton Manning and Indy was a week 1 must and now it's time to respond the rest of the season rather than winning a game that they treated like a Super Bowl victory. Funny how every team won in the South BUT the Colts.

3. New England Patriots: Granted, it was the Cincinnati Bengals, who I thinks terrible, but Brady looked in mid-season form and Wes Welker got his feet wet early. Jury is still out on their young defense when their challenged but their huge margin of victory can't go unnoticed, esp in Foxboro, which the Pats are pretty much unbeatable.

4. Green Bay Packers: The Pack got off to a rough start but it looks like their defense is finally warming up to a 3-4 defense and they'll only get better. Going on the road to Philly is no easy task and even though Rodgers had a mediocre day, they still found a way to get it done. If they can't keep Rodgers upright, they might stumble later on in the season.

5. Minnesota Vikings: Tough game all around for Minnesota. 3 weeks ago, Brett Favre wasn't even sure his ankle was even 60% healthy and he was riding his lawn mowers on his farm. Going into New Orleans in that environment with no work with the offense whatsoever was so much to ask from Favre, but they brought him back for a reason. Once the season goes on, they'll get back in sync. Their offense misses Sydney Rice badly, but they still have a top 3 defense.

6. Baltimore Ravens: Baltimore has a nice team on paper and their defense played very well and stingy last night against the Jets. Still, as bad as the Jets offense was and the kind of weapons the Ravens have on offense, they still could only manage 10 overall points and got lucky with a running into the kicker penalty for the games only touchdown. That defense was barely challenged so we'll wait until Baltimore faces an offense that could spread them out. Big game next week in Cincy in an AFC North showdown.

7. Indianapolis Colts: Losing a divisional game on the road against a team that is so determined to beat you is tough. Manning and the Colts have been here before and always seem to start off lazy like the Chargers in the WEST. There's no doubt in my mind Manning and company will bounce back from this, but without Peyton, how good are the Colts? Answer: Not good at all.

8. N.Y Jets: What an embarrassing performance offensively. If the Jets want to be taking seriously, then they might want to start getting serious on offense and that's putting more stock into their franchise quarterback. Not gaining 1 single 3rd down until their last ditch effort drive is a major concern for the Jets, who have New England coming up NEXT WEEK. You figure their defense can't be on the field for 50 minutes EVERY game, esp against the hated Patriots.

9. Tennessee Titans: It was the Raiders, but Chris Johnson is such a freak that there's no doubt defensive coordinators hide in a dark corner leading up to game day against this guy. He is on a great start and on pace for his 2,000 yard predicted season. Play action could be huge for this team and TENN could make noise in the AFC this season. They have a tough task against a very tough Pittsburgh defense Sunday at home.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers will be in survival mode until Ben Roethlisberger gets back. That's exactly what they did against a TOUGH Atlanta Falcons team with weaponry. It wasn't pretty, but they sure did survive, playing the kind of defense that stems back to the 70's. If they can ride their defensive coattails and if Mendenhall is up for the task of a heavy workload, then the seat will be warm for Roethlisberger to return.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On the BRINK

11. N.Y Giants: The Giants are the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFC. Out to prove that last season was a fluke after starting the '08 season with a bang then failing to make the playoffs. They made a statement that they can't be overlooked hanging over 30 points on a tough opponent in Carolina. If this team could get it together, watch out.

12. Washington Redskins: The Skins are a completley different team with McNabb under center, but they could be better. Going up against a "powerhouse" like Dallas in the season opener in a rivalry game is a tough task to over come, but they had the home crowd behind them and a little luck in between. Washington will be an interesting team to watch over the coarse of the season in a very tough division.

Up for grabs:

Seattle Seahawks , Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles

Turning some heads:

Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions

Disappointing efforts:

Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49'ers, Oakland Raiders

Work in progress:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, St.Louis Rams, Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos
Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by California-Steel View Post
Not that it really means anything but the ESPN power rankings are a joke
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

How can teams that lost be ranked higher than the teams that beat them? What a joke!!
Because it's all percentages. You must take into consideration by where they started before week one, whether they were high or low, then act accordingly on that certain team of that week's result. For instance, your pre-season rankings could have New England at # 1, but if they lose a close game, they may only drop a certain spots while say a team like the Packers who were #8 but won big, will only move up 2-3 spots but won't be enough to overtake New England just yet because of percentages of how a ranking works. That's how I see it and how I've always put together my ranks.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Here's my top 10 picks I just got done putting together:

StainlessStill's Week 1 power rankings:

1. New Orleans Saints: Givin the level of competition vs other teams, New Orleans got the job done against a tough Vikings defense in a close game that could have gone either way. It wasn't the shootout New Orleans fans had hoped, but winning on defense is even prettier sometimes.

2. Houston Texans: The Texans FINALLY made a statement against the team that tormented their division and themselves since their existence. Beating Peyton Manning and Indy was a week 1 must and now it's time to respond the rest of the season rather than winning a game that they treated like a Super Bowl victory. Funny how every team won in the South BUT the Colts.

3. New England Patriots: Granted, it was the Cincinnati Bengals, who I thinks terrible, but Brady looked in mid-season form and Wes Welker got his feet wet early. Jury is still out on their young defense when their challenged but their huge margin of victory can't go unnoticed, esp in Foxboro, which the Pats are pretty much unbeatable.

4. Green Bay Packers: The Pack got off to a rough start but it looks like their defense is finally warming up to a 3-4 defense and they'll only get better. Going on the road to Philly is no easy task and even though Rodgers had a mediocre day, they still found a way to get it done. If they can't keep Rodgers upright, they might stumble later on in the season.

5. Minnesota Vikings: Tough game all around for Minnesota. 3 weeks ago, Brett Favre wasn't even sure his ankle was even 60% healthy and he was riding his lawn mowers on his farm. Going into New Orleans in that environment with no work with the offense whatsoever was so much to ask from Favre, but they brought him back for a reason. Once the season goes on, they'll get back in sync. Their offense misses Sydney Rice badly, but they still have a top 3 defense.

6. Baltimore Ravens: Baltimore has a nice team on paper and their defense played very well and stingy last night against the Jets. Still, as bad as the Jets offense was and the kind of weapons the Ravens have on offense, they still could only manage 10 overall points and got lucky with a running into the kicker penalty for the games only touchdown. That defense was barely challenged so we'll wait until Baltimore faces an offense that could spread them out. Big game next week in Cincy in an AFC North showdown.

7. Indianapolis Colts: Losing a divisional game on the road against a team that is so determined to beat you is tough. Manning and the Colts have been here before and always seem to start off lazy like the Chargers in the WEST. There's no doubt in my mind Manning and company will bounce back from this, but without Peyton, how good are the Colts? Answer: Not good at all.

8. N.Y Jets: What an embarrassing performance offensively. If the Jets want to be taking seriously, then they might want to start getting serious on offense and that's putting more stock into their franchise quarterback. Not gaining 1 single 3rd down until their last ditch effort drive is a major concern for the Jets, who have New England coming up NEXT WEEK. You figure their defense can't be on the field for 50 minutes EVERY game, esp against the hated Patriots.

9. Tennessee Titans: It was the Raiders, but Chris Johnson is such a freak that there's no doubt defensive coordinators hide in a dark corner leading up to game day against this guy. He is on a great start and on pace for his 2,000 yard predicted season. Play action could be huge for this team and TENN could make noise in the AFC this season. They have a tough task against a very tough Pittsburgh defense Sunday at home.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers will be in survival mode until Ben Roethlisberger gets back. That's exactly what they did against a TOUGH Atlanta Falcons team with weaponry. It wasn't pretty, but they sure did survive, playing the kind of defense that stems back to the 70's. If they can ride their defensive coattails and if Mendenhall is up for the task of a heavy workload, then the seat will be warm for Roethlisberger to return.

On the BRINK

11. N.Y Giants: The Giants are the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFC. Out to prove that last season was a fluke after starting the '08 season with a bang then failing to make the playoffs. They made a statement that they can't be overlooked hanging over 30 points on a tough opponent in Carolina. If this team could get it together, watch out.

12. Washington Redskins: The Skins are a completley different team with McNabb under center, but they could be better. Going up against a "powerhouse" like Dallas in the season opener in a rivalry game is a tough task to over come, but they had the home crowd behind them and a little luck in between. Washington will be an interesting team to watch over the coarse of the season in a very tough division.

Up for grabs:

Seattle Seahawks , Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles

Turning some heads:

Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions

Disappointing efforts:

Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49'ers, Oakland Raiders

Work in progress:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, St.Louis Rams, Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos
I agree with most of your rankings but, DUDE you have us at 10......LoL kidding. I expect us to go higher every year!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
I agree with most of your rankings but, DUDE you have us at 10......LoL kidding. I expect us to go higher every year!
Trust me my man, they have plenty of time to move up the rank ;) They just need to prove that winning at home was no fluke. We must now go on the road, where a place Dixon's never seen, with that crowd noise and make it happen.

This game is monumental for our team. If we win this, then I say we could be a top 5 team and possibly in the top 3 when Ben comes back. We could be THAT good. Tennessee is a big test and we must show who we are going into a hostile environment and to a place where we don't have much success.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

With Timmons coming of age and Pouncey working the front line, we'll be making the grade soon.