Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers took responsibility to pick up Dixon

Steelers took responsibility to pick up Dixon
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/09/14/stee...pick-up-dixon/
Posted: September 14th, 2010 | Charles Davis | Tags: Pittsburgh Steelers, James Farrior, Hines Ward, Charles Davis, Dennis Dixon, Josh Reed

The Pittsburgh Steelers proved in Week 1 they have Dennis Dixon’s back.

During my production meetings as part of the broadcast team for the Steelers-Falcons game, I was told seperately by two of the team’s veterans — Hines Ward and James Farrior — that they called upon their teammates to pick up the young quarterback in his second career start.
Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

The defense got together and decided they needed to take responsibility for Dixon, and the game against the Falcons was up to them. In other words, it wasn’t Dixon who had to win the game. While the term “managing” the game is fine, the defense put it upon themselves to help Dixon out.

Ward got his receivers together, and told them it was their job to take responsibility for Dixon. They told Dixon he didn’t have to be precise in his throws or be perfect against the Falcons, but that it was their job to adjust to the ball and go get it.

That’s veteran leadership. As a team, the Steelers came together. They did everything possible to take pressure off of Dixon.

We knew this would be neccessary coming in to the game, but for the Steelers to come together on their own, I thought it was big. It will only help his confidence, and now he’s 1-0 as a starter in 2010.

I thought Dixon played pretty well. His interception was an ill-advised pass. But overall, he stood in the pocket when he needed to, and moved out of the pocket well. He made one play during the third quarter where he drifted out of the pocket toward the sideline, keeping his eyes downfield. He made a nice third-down completion to Ward that didn’t result in a first down, but got the Steelers in closer range for a 36-yard field goal by Josh Reed.

Had Dixon stepped out of bounds or thrown the ball away, it would have been a 53-yard field goal. Instead, it was managable.

During the preseason, on a similar play, he threw an interception. Little things matter. Dixon has show he’s grown in a short amount of time.

– Charles Davis
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,807 Times in 2,876 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers took responsibility to pick up Dixon

josh reed? lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Just like all young QB's and new starters that have not played you don't turn the game over to them. Dixon is going to need help and I like what the Steelers Motto is and should be when Ben returns it will be a total team effort to win each week.

Dixon will get better each week but he only needs to make a play within himself and try not to make mistakes.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,370 Times in 2,620 Posts
My Mood: Brooding

The one thing that confidence of the victory will improve immediately is throwing low. He should be able to calm down enough to just throw the ball like it's practice. I hope....

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote