Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,109 Posts
Default who to watch at las vegas 400

no race gets more betting action in vegas than the daimler chrysler 400 at none other than las vegas motor speedway. but if youre into betting the longshots this may not be the race for you. no other race in recent memory seems to be as much of a coinflip as this one. i usually like to wait till final practice to make predictions but at this track i dont think it matters too much (final practice may be rained out anyways.

moreso than last weekend, this track is owned by roush drivers with hendrick picking up the slack. other than sterling marlin, no car other than one owned by roush (5 wins) or hendrick(2) has won in the tracks 9 year history. zzzzzzz you say?

while we have just covered 9 potential winners in the race you cant leave out defending champion t. stewart or hometown favorite k. busch.

while i usually like to try and pick a darkorse of the race, in this one a darkhorse really has no shot (freak accidents and amazing pit strategy guffaws do happen though)

my darkhorse would have to be k. kahne. added to that, an up and comer like the wreckless kyle bush or vickers, or someone with a new but great team like j. mcmurray or kurt bush. jeff burton used to own this track and has a great qualifying position and can be considered a darkhorse. ryan newman could win any race and noone should be suprised.

i really dont know how to sort my top 5 other than the fact that if i had to put money on any driver to win the cup right now it would be matt kenseth. im getting a great feeling from this team this year. one like the one where he tore off 2 wins in his 1st 3 races in his defense of his only championship. that tear began at vegas where he won the following year. after his lucky preformance and win last weekend, i am looking at him to show his skill on sunday. picking who is most likely to finish in the top 5 is easy. sorting it out is a crapshoot (fitting for a vegas race)

1. m. kenseth riding a huge wave of momentum and has had strong car last 2 races
2. t. stewart defending series champion who can win anywhere, any week
3. j. johnson defending race winner and this points leader has been running up front for years it seems.
4. g. biffle like kenseth last week, really needs to rebound and this is the type of race he can easilly dominate, plus he has his 2nd career pole
5. kurt busch wants to win this race almost more than any other. the hometown favorite has many intangibles going into this race (he has outqualified ryan newman in the last 2 races and has rustys great equipment.)

while not quite a bold prediction dont expect a race with alot of lead changes or alot of wrecks. follow the leader will be in order. probably not to many engine failures or debris cautions on a 400 mile race. i am banking on jeff green and scott riggs to have impressive runs. a top 15 for me qualifies as impressive but a top 10 for either of them isnt out of the question. b. labonte could crack the top 15 and terry would have an excellent day with a top 20. i dont think 1 driver leads 50% of the laps on sunday.

pick your winner/ top 5

Last edited by tony hipchest; 03-11-2006 at 12:52 AM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:32 AM   #2
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Re: who to watch at las vegas 400

1.J. Johnson
2.Matt Kenseth
3.Greg Biffle
4.Elliot Sadler
5.Mark Martin

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

To tell you the truth, I can't wait for them to get off these cookie cutters and onto some real tracks like Bristol and Martinsville...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
tony hipchest

what sucks is after all the build up and anticipation for the daytona 500 it takes 4 weeks to get to a real track like atlanta, which usually puts on a great race every year and side by side racing used to be the norm. 5 weeks is way too long to wait to get to a non downforce track like bristol. it was much better when rockingham was the 2nd race of the season and atlanta the 3rd, with no bye week.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Well, I think weather has a lot ot do with it...LV and CA are both pretty dry and warm that early on, so it makes some sense...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Well, I think weather has a lot ot do with it...LV and CA are both pretty dry and warm that early on, so it makes some sense...
ironically enough vegas has had a little snow in the air, freakishly cold weather, and rain showers this weekend while nyc is having a heat wave. california wouldnt be so bad if it lived up to some of the races its sister track in michigan has put on (even michigan has turned into a bore lately) and las vegas has unveiled plans to make it less wide and increase the banking to 20 degrees. this should help alot as far as creating side by side racing.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
tony hipchest

after thinking about it i dont really think stewart will finish 2nd. he may not even get a top 5 especially with kyle bush posting the fastest time in the final practice. in fact im thinking, barring any mistakes, kule bush may finish ahead of his teammate j. johnson. but as of now, im bumping stewart down to 6th and kyle behind his brother kurt.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Jimmie's gonna win. I put a voodoo curse on Kenseth...tehehe.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Yeeehawww! How 'bout that finish for Jimmie there, boys!

I love him! LOL
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
tony hipchest

great picks deiselman #1 and #2 ill have to hit you twice (and great pick steelerzgirl)