Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Steelers last 5 drafts

Not including this year, here is a look at the previous 5 drafts.

2005 -8 picks
4 NFL Starters (Miller, McFadden, Essex, Kemoatu)
4 Still with Steelers (Miller, McFadden, Essex, Kemoatu)
0 nonstarter 53 man roster players

2006 9 picks
3 NFL Starters (Holmes, Anthony Smith, Colon)
1 Still with Steelers (Colon)
0 nonstarter 53 man roster players

2007 8 picks
4 NFL Starters (Timmons, Woodley, Sepulveda, McBean)
5 Still with Steelers (Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, Sepulveda, Gay)
2 nonstarter 53 man roster contributors (Spaeth, Gay)

2008 7 picks
1 NFL Starter (Mendenhall)
5 Still with Steelers (Mendenhall, Sweed, Hills, Dixon, Mundy)
3 nonstarter 53 man roster contributors (Hills, Dixon, Mundy)

2009 9 picks
1 Starter (Wallace)
4 Still with Steelers (Hood, Wallace, Lewis, Johnson) ...PS doesn't count
4 nonstarter 53 man roster contributors (Hood, Urbik, Lewis, Johnson)

They say it takes 3 years to properly evaluate a draft so some later players may become starters. Of note, we kept 8 of the 10 2010 draft picks already on what might in the future be considered our best draft in recent times. There is still a chance that a 9th may make the team (Chris Scott)...though unlikely.

2005 and 2007 are impressive with 4 Starters from each.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
BlackAndGold4Ever
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 8179
Default Re: Steelers last 5 drafts

Steelers always draft well. We consistantly fill the needed holes most other teams in the NFL fill with free agents. Minus Sweed I believe that every player listed is crutial to the current and future sucess of the orginization

www.steelersinhoboken.com
BlackAndGold4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAndGold4Ever View Post
Steelers always draft well. We consistantly fill the needed holes most other teams in the NFL fill with free agents. Minus Sweed I believe that every player listed is crutial to the current and future sucess of the orginization
Yeah...pretty good. What inspired me to write this was when I noticed Anthony Smith had finally become a starter. He would have still been on the bench had we kept him. Kareyon Fox, Chris Hoke, Ziggy Hood, Matt Spaeth, Iaasac Redman, Larry Foote and Ramon Foster are all players I think would have a CHANCE to start other places.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,629 Times in 2,398 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

hopefully limas peed, who peed the bed as a toddler, and still does, can redeem himself. but i doubt it
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Yeah...pretty good. What inspired me to write this was when I noticed Anthony Smith had finally become a starter. He would have still been on the bench had we kept him. Kareyon Fox, Chris Hoke, Ziggy Hood, Matt Spaeth, Iaasac Redman, Larry Foote and Ramon Foster are all players I think would have a CHANCE to start other places.
Good point, except we didn't draft any of these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAndGold4Ever View Post
Meh... not always, as the 2008 draft can attest. 2004 was not great (except Ben) as I recall. What we do better than most is have regularly spaced-out überdrafts that keep our rosters well stocked, and let us weather the bad draft years. There are teams out there that draft much better than we do, but do nothing to develop or properly utilize those players, or allow them all to leave in four years. Arizona and Philly come to mind, and Cincy almost always gets high marks it seems.

Also, I'd say Baltimore has probably done consistently better than us the past ten or fifteen years. What Ozzie Newsome has never been able to do is draft their franchise QB, which they may or may not have done now. We'll see in two or three years. Until then they can just flaccoff.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Some people say picking up undrafted players who turn out to be very good players is still part of the drafting process. Because more than likely you have had a scout to view these players at one time and know they have some ability but didn't want to risk a draft pick on them.
Fox was the only person you picked out that was on another NFL team before the Steelers.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:

Meh... not always, as the 2008 draft can attest. 2004 was not great (except Ben) as I recall. What we do better than most is have regularly spaced-out überdrafts that keep our rosters well stocked, and let us weather the bad draft years. There are teams out there that draft much better than we do, but do nothing to develop or properly utilize those players, or allow them all to leave in four years. Arizona and Philly come to mind, and Cincy almost always gets high marks it seems.

Also, I'd say Baltimore has probably done consistently better than us the past ten or fifteen years. What Ozzie Newsome has never been able to do is draft their franchise QB, which they may or may not have done now. We'll see in two or three years. Until then they can just flaccoff.
I went off on a small tangent on players who could start from our bench.

Batimore really is great at drafting...no doubt.

Cinci sucks at drafting.

Our number one picks have been excellent. No recent busts at #1. In 2004 we got our franchise QB and starting LT. Those might be 2 of the most important positions in football. Coke was a bust ...or Coke was busted (for DUI...not for coke) but honestly there was not much talent there that we missed that round after our pick (except the oft injured Bob Sanders).

Raiders...lol Stupid...they passed on Ben, Rivers, Fitzgerald...all for Robert Gallery.
Jason Campbell? lol
Old 09-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

There are lots of other aspects to the front office, including signing FAs the next day, coaching, resigning veterans, etc. I alluded to some of those in my previous post. But this thread is about our drafts - the last five to be precise. And we didn't draft any of those guys, that's all.

Edit:
Quote:
I went off on a small tangent on players who could start from our bench.

Batimore really is great at drafting...no doubt.

Cinci sucks at drafting.

Our number one picks have been excellent. No recent busts at #1. In 2004 we got our franchise QB and starting LT. Those might be 2 of the most important positions in football. Coke was a bust ...or Coke was busted (for DUI...not for coke) but honestly there was not much talent there that we missed that round after our pick (except the oft injured Bob Sanders).

Raiders...lol Stupid...they passed on Ben, Rivers, Fitzgerald...all for Robert Gallery.
Jason Campbell? lol
Gotcha. And yes, our number ones have been phenomenal to say the least since Troy Edwards, who probably single-handedly sank Tom Donohoe.

The Raiders personify Draft Day ineptitude. They overdrafted and overpaid Heyward-Bey simply because of his 40-time. Had they waited two rounds they could have had the receiver with the 2nd fastest 40 at the Combine: Mike Wallace. Mind you, Heyward-Bey might still have been available in the 3rd round, and they still would have picked the wrong guy.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
There are lots of other aspects to the front office, including signing FAs the next day, coaching, resigning veterans, etc. I alluded to some of those in my previous post. But this thread is about our drafts - the last five to be precise. And we didn't draft any of those guys, that's all.

Edit:

Gotcha. And yes, our number ones have been phenomenal to say the least since Troy Edwards, who probably single-handedly sank Tom Donohoe.

The Raiders personify Draft Day ineptitude. They overdrafted and overpaid Heyward-Bey simply because of his 40-time. Had they waited two rounds they could have had the receiver with the 2nd fastest 40 at the Combine: Mike Wallace. Mind you, Heyward-Bey might still have been available in the 3rd round, and they still would have picked the wrong guy.

Raiders need to offer Ozzie Newsome a killer deal once his contract is up...I guess the Raven will never let him get there.

The Gallery thing is such a shame...lol It's like they are cursed. Then to miss on Peterson, Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Darelle Revis, Timmons (yes,..he'll be a beast) and Patrick Willis ...poor Davis.

Finally this year they went with convention and took McClain.

Ziggy Hood is the only number 1 not to start. Maybe next year he will replace Keisel.
You feel lucky if you can get 2 starters and one good back up out of each class. The only one where I can't say that is 2008. It's all Sweed's fault. lol
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
It's all Sweed's fault. lol
Translation: It's Arians' fault.