Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
View Poll Results: Would you trade our 2011 1st round pick for Marcus McNeil.
Yes...definitely...He's only age 26...staple for years. 4 33.33%
No...I'm really starting to like Starks 2 16.67%
No...our first round draft pick gives me hope ...I'd hate to kill that. 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Would you give...(McNeill)

Marcus McNeil is a probowl LT.

Would you give our first round pick next year for him?

If we did we would have 2 solid Line players in Pouncy and McNeil.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Default Re: Would you give...(McNeill)

OK...I didn't want to influence the poll...As much as I like Starks and as much as our first round pick gives me hope and excitement, I'd do it because I think we are going to be good this year, finishe in the late 20s to 30s and not have a high draft pick. This year without the cap would be our best chance at signing such a player.

We could let Starks compete with Flozell for RT and also be the back up swing tackle for this year.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I voted yes cause he is a Pro bowl LT witch we haven't had in quite some time and we could move Starks to RT and Colon to RG when he comes back and that would make a pretty solid OL IMHO.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

I actually voted no and that the first round pick is more important, but the more I think about it, the more I'd rather have this guy. He's around the same size as Starks, height and weight, and they both have very quick feet, if we had both of these guys as tackles, it could be a very good O-line. Colon would be a monster on the inside as a guard, especially for run blocking.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,200 Times in 3,492 Posts

nope. starks cost too much. mcneill would cost to much. our 1st round pick is too much.

the steelers are hesitant to even switch flozell and max, plus this definitely isnt the type of move they typically make. we wouldnt even give up a 2nd for jarod gaither (or use a 4th for him when he was available in the supplimental draft).

i would just as soon use a 2nd round pick on someone like sebastian volmer (like the patriots did) and plug him in.

if there is a cap in the future, many teams are gonna get their ass kicked and dumped a ton of players. the steelers have protected themselves against that to ensure they will continue to remain competitive for years to come.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
nope. starks cost too much. mcneill would cost to much. our 1st round pick is too much.

the steelers are hesitant to even switch flozell and max, plus this definitely isnt the type of move they typically make. we wouldnt even give up a 2nd for jarod gaither (or use a 4th for him when he was available in the supplimental draft).

i would just as soon use a 2nd round pick on someone like sebastian volmer (like the patriots did) and plug him in.

if there is a cap in the future, many teams are gonna get their ass kicked and dumped a ton of players. the steelers have protected themselves against that to ensure they will continue to remain competitive for years to come.
I understand that it is not something the Steelers usually do but every once in a while, you must make a big move. The biggest aquisitions we've had are Farrior and Mwelde Moore. Every once in a while, I'd like to see them go out and bring back a top starter.

Teams will make sure that this year (uncapped) will NOT count against them. Now way will owners let them retroactively institute a cap. That would be wrong. The key then would be to put a lot of the salary in a roster bonus that gets activated this year. They can't change the rules after the fact.

The reason I would do it is he is only 26 so we could conceivably be set for 7 years or so. I'd like that.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
plus this definitely isnt the type of move they typically make.
Free agent moves too conservative. While the Bengals got TO and Ravens got Bolden and Housh we did not mae any moves to fix our O-line.

And BTW, if Randy Moss becomes available next year, we should definitly go after him and offer him a 2 year contract. It could be 2 Superbowls. Moss, Wallace and Ward. If Ward is getting tired, he can play a limited role in the slot. It would be automatic Superbowl.

And if we don't, he goes to the Ravens...just watch.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
tony hipchest

i'd rather keep woodley and draft a replacement for starks.

our "free agents" are signed from within.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Free agent moves too conservative. While the Bengals got TO and Ravens got Bolden and Housh we did not mae any moves to fix our O-line.

And BTW, if Randy Moss becomes available next year, we should definitly go after him and offer him a 2 year contract. It could be 2 Superbowls. Moss, Wallace and Ward. If Ward is getting tired, he can play a limited role in the slot. It would be automatic Superbowl.

And if we don't, he goes to the Ravens...just watch.
as a steelerfan, i am not afraid of housh, moss, TO, or boldin.

we have shut them down a hell of alot more than they have beatten us (and thats when they were younger and better).

not scared.

not scared at all.

the steelers dont operate to the beat of their drums. none of the players you listed have a ring- steelers have 2 in the past 5 years. cedric wilson and randle el have more.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
i'd rather keep woodley and draft a replacement for starks.

our "free agents" are signed from within.
ZZZZ...I've heard that but every once in a while we must recognize that there are some good players out there who are not currently on our team that can help us. Being flexible is key.

It's tough to find a starting LT through the draft unless you have a top 10 pick.

Quote:
as a steelerfan, i am not afraid of housh, moss, TO, or boldin.

we have shut them down a hell of alot more than they have beatten us (and thats when they were younger and better).

not scared.

not scared at all.

the steelers dont operate to the beat of their drums. none of the players you listed have a ring- steelers have 2 in the past 5 years. cedric wilson and randle el have more.
Moss would make the Ravens better...the point wasn't about being scared. It was about addressing needs. We need to occasionally make moves.