Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Urbik Annoying

I was annoed to read that Urbik picked up center and now says he can play all interior positions.

The main reason he was shipped was because he couldn't beat out Kemo, Essex or Foster at guard and we needed a back up center.

Had he volunteered to learn center earlier, he could have competed ead to head with Legursky to see which one was better. Without the center skills, Legursky (even at 6'1) was the obvious choice.

I don't like Legursky's playing so too bad Urbik couldn't step up.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...0-002e5cf43d72
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416
Default Re: Urbik Annoying

Legursky is a much better player. I wouldnt mind him starting at RG.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

We get the bills reject who will be starting this week, bills get our reject who is fighting for a spot on the worst line in the nfl. don't know how to think about all of this
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by figg View Post
Legursky is a much better player. I wouldnt mind him starting at RG.
IDK about that. At center he sucks though. I remember the preseason games where the interior of the line was just getting blown apart wen he was in there. he was no better than Hartwig. I wonder who was a better guard. I think Legursky got the nod because of his center playing capabilities.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
IDK about that. At center he sucks though. I remember the preseason games where the interior of the line was just getting blown apart wen he was in there. he was no better than Hartwig. I wonder who was a better guard. I think Legursky got the nod because of his center playing capabilities.
I have to say I disagree with you. He was pretty solid at both positions.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

Urbik played a lot of center in camp and in preseason. It's not a new thing. He played LG, C, RG in preseason and did well at all 3. The Steelers told him he was good enough, but letting him go was just the unfortunate part of the business. You can't keep everybody. I think his slow start last year is why he's not here. The coaches had to go with other guys like Foster and Legursky since Urbik wasn't ready and by the time Urbik was ready this year the coaches had developed more of a trust in Foster and Legursky because of last year.

Here's an update on Urbik from Buffalo's site.

Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone's Toes View Post
Urbik played a lot of center in camp and in preseason. It's not a new thing. He played LG, C, RG in preseason and did well at all 3. The Steelers told him he was good enough, but letting him go was just the unfortunate part of the business. You can't keep everybody. I think his slow start last year is why he's not here. The coaches had to go with other guys like Foster and Legursky since Urbik wasn't ready and by the time Urbik was ready this year the coaches had developed more of a trust in Foster and Legursky because of last year.

Here's an update on Urbik from Buffalo's site.

Please post your source on Urbik playing center here at camp. That was not well talked about. They didn't give him any snaps in any games. I never heard him playing center in practice.

If he did show center capabilities then that means Legursky just straight out outplayed him.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Urbik did take snaps at center with the Steelers. Prior to camp when Hartwig was not practicing (due to injury) he ran with the second team at center.

Quote:
So Pouncey and Kraig Urbik played center Wednesday. Pouncey is a past and future center who Steelers coaches said would play right guard this season. Urbik was drafted as a guard last year, but is trying to add to his repertoire after mostly watching games in street clothes as a rookie in 2009.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10147...d=steelers.xml
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Please post your source on Urbik playing center here at camp. That was not well talked about. They didn't give him any snaps in any games. I never heard him playing center in practice.

If he did show center capabilities then that means Legursky just straight out outplayed him.
Quote:
--- In their three-deep depth chart, the Steelers do not list Kraig Urbik at guard but as the third-team center. Doug Legursky is the No. 2 center. Pouncey, listed as the No. 2 right guard, also can play center, of course. Say goodbye to Mr. Urbik, who was the Steelers second pick in the 2009 draft (they traded their second-round pick and he was their first of three third-rounders).
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-hill-to-climb

Quote:
Pittsburgh Steelers OG Kraig Urbik is seeing time at guard and center during the team's minicamp this weekend, according to Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Source: KFFL.com
Quote:
Urbik has taken up playing center this year in hopes of demonstrating added versatility (its much easier to make the active roster if you can play center and guard). But Doug Legursky is clearly ahead of him on the depth chart at both positions, Ramon Foster has more power and versatility and rookie Maurkice Pouncey is leapfrogging past all of them on the depth chart.
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/0...bly-unnoticed/

Quote:
The Steelers are working second-year OL Kraig Urbik at center during OTAs in order to increase his versatility.
A tackle at Wisconsin, Urbik was drafted to play guard but didn't come along quickly enough to even be active on game days. With C Justin Hartwig (shoulder) limited in spring practices, Urbik is getting some first-team reps.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Quote:
So Pouncey and Kraig Urbik played center Wednesday. Pouncey is a past and future center who Steelers coaches said would play right guard this season. Urbik was drafted as a guard last year, but is trying to add to his repertoire after mostly watching games in street clothes as a rookie in 2009.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10147...#ixzz0zqv9zOq1

if ya need more, let me know...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

OK OK you guys got me. He played center during OTAs when Hartwig was injured. I get it. I just didnt remember seeing reports of him playing center during training camp but if you have those sources, go ahead and post. lol