Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Goodbye Tommy........

and thank you for everything you have done to make the team better. For starters:

Because of Tommy Maddox, Kordell was shown the door, because of Tommy Maddox Ben was ushered in the door. I will always remember when Ben was forced to start his first pro game. A lot of us fans were scared that week. The rookie qb who was such an unknown was being fed to a good Miami D. Tommy had the grace to never complain and help Ben. Tommy taught Ben some lessons that Ben will use for a very long time. That is per Ben.

I'll never forget the day Tommy got hit and lay on the ground unmoving. He was temporarily paralyzed. Thank goodness he surrived and came back to finish one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory. I'd say it was the first taste of success for the current team that lead to the Super bowl win. I am not sure Tommy ever fully recovered after that injury.

I have seen the Steeler's play alot of football and many good games. But the greatest game I have ever witnessed was definitely the Wildcard game against the Cleveland Browns. It was one awesome game and Tommy Gun brought it home. That game was the most exciting Steeler game I have seen and I will never forget it nor will I forget Tommy Gun in a most positive manner.
I wish him the very best of the best, no matter what his future endeavors may be.
Good bless you, Mr. Maddox and you have a superbowl ring! You deserve it.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Goodbye Tommy........

Well, conversely, Maddox should thank Christ every day for the rest of his life that the Steelers answered his call.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Tommy did some good things for the Steelers and yes he was a nice temporary stepping stone from Kordell to Ben.

Enjoy the Superbowl Ring Tommy.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

while i didnt see it i got to hear myron cope call it, and even though it ended in a tie the game vs. atlanta and the then hot superstar mike vick will be my 2nd favorite tommy preformance and definitely my favorite plax preformance. inches away from a win. that was dramatic as hell.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
SmashMouthSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
I have seen the Steeler's play alot of football and many good games. But the greatest game I have ever witnessed was definitely the Wildcard game against the Cleveland Browns. It was one awesome game and Tommy Gun brought it home. That game was the most exciting Steeler game I have seen and I will never forget it nor will I forget Tommy Gun in a most positive manner.
I wish him the very best of the best, no matter what his future endeavors may be.
Good bless you, Mr. Maddox and you have a superbowl ring! You deserve it.
I have to agree! That wildcard game against the Clowns, a couple of years ago WAS a classic. I still wish I had a copy of that game! I still remember like it was yesterday, when Jerome went into the endzone with a minute or so to go in the game!!! I was exctatic!!! Tommy has definitly seen some highs and lows (with probably more lows than highs) but he is an alright guy and I know he loved the city of Pittsburgh! Good Luck Tommy!

SmashMouthSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

I understand why they did it, but I kinda worry that without a veteran QB Ben (who is still developing) won't have someone to show him the way anymore. Tommy knows the offence backwords and forwords. Doesnt he meet Ben in the middle of the field to answer some of his questions? Whose gunna do that now?

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss
I understand why they did it, but I kinda worry that without a veteran QB Ben (who is still developing) won't have someone to show him the way anymore. Tommy knows the offence backwords and forwords. Doesnt he meet Ben in the middle of the field to answer some of his questions? Whose gunna do that now?
1) We have Charlie Batch.

2) Ben won the Super Bowl. Not Tommy Maddox. Ben is capable.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss
Charlie Batch has more NFL starts than Maddox, and Batch wasn't ever that bad...he just played for Detroit.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Charlie Batch has more NFL starts than Maddox, and Batch wasn't ever that bad...he just played for Detroit.

Yes he certainly did play for Detriot. I live in MI so I heard nothing but negative press on Batch throught the local media. Batch was horizontal most of his Lions career. When the Steeler's picked him up I thought...............OMG!

But when I saw Batch play for Pittsburgh, I was amazed, he was pretty damn good. I guess the supporting cast is everything. He surely did look like a different quarterback than the one I saw in Detriot. I was impressed with Batch.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I'm sorry I'm going to have to disagree with most of the posters here. I, for one, am glad to see Tommy gone. He had his moment, and it's gone. You can't honestly sit there and can tell me that when Tommy was in there this year you felt confident in his abilities.
2 games that will always stay in the back of my mind when his name is mentiond
1) Houston 2002-I know it was his 1st game after a pretty scary injury, but Houston had I think 49 yrd and 3 offensive points and we lost because of Tommy turn overs....I was at that game and it had to be one of the worst things I have ever sat through.
2) Jacksonville 2005-OVERTIME do I need to say more???? Absolutely disgusted again!
After that I never wanted to see him in the black and gold again!!! Ben is in his third year...he has been to the playoffs twice and won a world championship!!! He doesn't need Tommy "Gun" to help him!
I do, howevver, wish him the best in life!

Last edited by bigbensgirl7; 03-04-2006 at 11:28 PM.
bigbensgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote