Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-05-2006, 02:09 AM   #11
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Goodbye Tommy........

Batch is the only veteran QB we need.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
and thank you for everything you have done to make the team better. For starters:

Because of Tommy Maddox, Kordell was shown the door, because of Tommy Maddox Ben was ushered in the door. I will always remember when Ben was forced to start his first pro game. A lot of us fans were scared that week. The rookie qb who was such an unknown was being fed to a good Miami D. Tommy had the grace to never complain and help Ben. Tommy taught Ben some lessons that Ben will use for a very long time. That is per Ben.

I'll never forget the day Tommy got hit and lay on the ground unmoving. He was temporarily paralyzed. Thank goodness he surrived and came back to finish one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory. I'd say it was the first taste of success for the current team that lead to the Super bowl win. I am not sure Tommy ever fully recovered after that injury.

I have seen the Steeler's play alot of football and many good games. But the greatest game I have ever witnessed was definitely the Wildcard game against the Cleveland Browns. It was one awesome game and Tommy Gun brought it home. That game was the most exciting Steeler game I have seen and I will never forget it nor will I forget Tommy Gun in a most positive manner.
I wish him the very best of the best, no matter what his future endeavors may be.
Good bless you, Mr. Maddox and you have a superbowl ring! You deserve it.
I was in Baltimore the day Tommy got injured and Ben had to step in, I was there listening to all the ratbird fans chomping at the bit to get at Ben and saying how we're done now, no way we can do anything w/ a rookie QB. I told them, just wait and see...well that and plethera of 4 letter words that would make blackbeard roll over in his grave..

and we have the last laugh as the ratbirds are pathetic and we're World Champs !!!

as far as Tommy, yes he did have some good times with us but when he was called upon the last 2 years to produce, he couldnt do it, his time was over.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #13
pittsburgh$teelersfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1466

forget all this good stuff about tommy let me get this off my chest.Tommy it wasn't the o-line,it wasnot the other teams defense but it was just you suck.There I said it yep you suck.You suck by george I got it you suck tommy thank the Lord you are release from the steelers I have been waiting for this news for along time.
pittsburgh$teelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445

Some of these kids are foolish. Bashing Tommy Maddox for no ****ing reason. Give yourselves a few more years to develop into real Steeler fans (if you stay on the bandwagon that long) or at least know what you're talking about for shits sake.

Tommy Maddox was a great stepping stone for us. Real Steeler fans knew Tommy Maddox wasnt our anwser; he was more like a sigh of relief. He saved us from putting up with another horrible season with Kordell Stewart at the helm. For that we all thank him.

Tommy Maddox was never a leader for us though; all he did was go out there and play and try to not **** it up (note the word try). I mean he did go to work week in and week out playing to the best of his ability and never gave any grief which is 1 characteristic we want out of our QB, but he didnt have the spark and the leadership capabilities to take us that extra mile, but we all knew that. He was a par QB, but it sure was better seeing him there and Kordell.

It sucks to see Tommy Maddox go, but his time here was worth it. No real Steeler fan is happy to see him go because of what he gave us and the doors he opened up. He was a great team player and a great friend to the team. Im sure everyone will miss him.

Last edited by shutdown; 03-06-2006 at 05:22 PM.
shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

"He was a great player"?

That's news to me. Then again, I'm just one of those notorious bandwagon fans that pays for season tickets every year and helps pay the team salary.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-06-2006 at 05:07 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #16
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445

I ment to say great team player. But if thats the only sentence you were able to comprehend I shouldnt have even pointed that out.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #17
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown
Some of these kids are foolish. Bashing Tommy Maddox for no ****ing reason. Give yourselves a few more years to develop into real Steeler fans (if you stay on the bandwagon that long) or at least know what you're talking about for shits sake.

Tommy Maddox was a great stepping stone for us. Real Steeler fans knew Tommy Maddox wasnt our anwser; he was more like a sigh of relief. He saved us from putting up with another horrible season with Kordell Stewart at the helm. For that we all thank him.

Tommy Maddox was never a leader for us though; all he did was go out there and play and try to not **** it up (note the word try). I mean he did go to work week in and week out playing to the best of his ability and never gave any grief which is 1 characteristic we want out of our QB, but he didnt have the spark and the leadership capabilities to take us that extra mile, but we all knew that. He was a par QB, but it sure was better seeing him there and Kordell.

It sucks to see Tommy Maddox go, but his time here was worth it. No real Steeler fan is happy to see him go because of what he gave us and the doors he opened up. He was a great team player and a great friend to the team. Im sure everyone will miss him.
Truer words were never spoken. I am also a hardcore Steeler fan and have been for many years. When I hear these people say stuff like "leave Tommy just go" I know they are new steeler fans who aren't into the history end of the organization. Positive reputation for you.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #18
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Tommy Maddox stepping in when he did gave the Steelers something NO team with a playbook on them suspected--- a VERY contemporary passing game that was a legitimate threat. No longer could teams stack the box early then drop into soft coverage with minimal blitzing & expect to befuddle the way they could with Kordel.

Tommy could hurt teams with the passing game, often 3-deep in his looks, but the KEY was always having a legitimate running game. The combination of Bettis getting banged up and Tommy getting hurt exposed his passing game to a lot more zone coverages and blitzes, lots of different looks he wasn't equipped to handle.

The element of surprise wore off in the playoffs against good coaching (Belicek) and there's really no surprise there. Tommy Maddox was a decent QB with all the other pieces of the puzzle. Ben Roethlisberger is a great young QB with all those same pieces, and IMHO better ones than Tommy had.

I wish Tommy the best and honestly think during his tenure as QB Cowher learned more about passing offensive options than any other time during his career. I credit Tommy with being integral in broadening the coach's understanding of the game.

Big Ben is already entrenched in Steelers history in his 2nd year, after going 15 - 1 in his first season?! Like someone for the Broncos said after the AFC Championship Game, "If you are going to come this far & lose, you want it to be to a team like that." I'll bet Tommy Maddox can relate quite well, but in a different sense.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown
I ment to say great team player. But if thats the only sentence you were able to comprehend I shouldnt have even pointed that out.
Well, what you "ment"? to say and what you did say are two different things. I kept nodding off when your little "bandwagon rants" came into play. Here's a "Steelers #1 Fan" sticker and some ridalin If it makes you feel any better. Hopefully someday I can become a true fan like yourself instead of being one of those notorious "fake" ones.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-06-2006 at 07:40 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #20
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

GOOD BYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE MADDOX. GO **** UP SOME OTHER TEAM!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote