Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,152
Member Number: 5792
Thanks: 7
Thanked 322 Times in 155 Posts
Default 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

If the Steelers defense continues on the way it has started they have major issues trying to get everybody signed.

With Woodley, Timmons, Polamalu, and Taylor all needing deals it will be near impossible to sign them all.

1. Timmons looks like he has finally reached his potential and will have his breakout year just in time to break the bank.

2. I was convinced the Steelers may let Harrison and the 3 years left on his huge contract walk to make room to resign Woodley. I thought they may let one of the new rookies take that spot next year. (Worilds, Gibson) But, James' play in the first 2 games is looking every bit as good as the last 2 years and maybe better. He may be irreplaceable.

3. Ike gets a bad rap for bad hands. But he does a pretty darn good job of taking away other teams #1 receivers. He rarely gets beat deep and almost never gives up a big day to a receiver.

4. Polamalu can't go anywhere. He may be the most valuable defensive player in the league. You can't let this guy walk.

Next offseason could be tough, but for this season it could be a nice problem to have.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
DanRooney
Head Coach
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,799
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
If the Steelers defense continues on the way it has started they have major issues trying to get everybody signed.

With Woodley, Timmons, Polamalu, and Taylor all needing deals it will be near impossible to sign them all.

1. Timmons looks like he has finally reached his potential and will have his breakout year just in time to break the bank.

2. I was convinced the Steelers may let Harrison and the 3 years left on his huge contract walk to make room to resign Woodley. I thought they may let one of the new rookies take that spot next year. (Worilds, Gibson) But, James' play in the first 2 games is looking every bit as good as the last 2 years and maybe better. He may be irreplaceable.

3. Ike gets a bad rap for bad hands. But he does a pretty darn good job of taking away other teams #1 receivers. He rarely gets beat deep and almost never gives up a big day to a receiver.

4. Polamalu can't go anywhere. He may be the most valuable defensive player in the league. You can't let this guy walk.

Next offseason could be tough, but for this season it could be a nice problem to have.
I believe I was the one of the only people who called that.

Harrison was dinged up for the last half of the season last year and was still playing like a top tier OLB. He's a monster and will be playing at this level for years to come. There has not been a drop off in his game whatsoever.
__________________
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
PhantomJB93
Head Coach
 
PhantomJB93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 1,996
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13907
Thanks: 377
Thanked 880 Times in 437 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

Please, Steelers, just give up the "self imposed cap" and get all these guys signed...I dont think we can afford to let any of them walk without seeing a MAJOR dropoff in defensive production...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 9,805
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 1,538
Thanked 5,653 Times in 2,404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I believe I was the one of the only people who called that.

Harrison was dinged up for the last half of the season last year and was still playing like a top tier OLB. He's a monster and will be playing at this level for years to come. There has not been a drop off in his game whatsoever.
he's 32 but he started his career late, so his body doesn't have the same wear and tear an average 32 year old linebacker in the NFL would have. he still has a lot of mileage left, the age number can be deceiving in this case (same reason why marcus allen was able to play running back until age 37)

i agree with you all though, i was also worried about this. we have too many good players especially on defense to sign them all.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 13,901
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 809
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,422 Posts
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

don't forget about colon ... he's only on a 1 year deal.
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,014
Member Number: 15679
Thanks: 0
Thanked 162 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

Out of all the potential FA you listed Taylor will be the easiest to keep. He has always been a Steeler and realistically isn't going to get any better than he is right now, his last contract would have been the chance to sign for big money.

As for the rest, Polamalu is the most irreplaceable, the Steelers will spare no expense in letting him go, that's something I'm certain of.

I think Woodley would be nice to resign but is the most likely to be let go, which is just the way of the business, he's played good enough to get a big contract and the Steelers may or may not have the resources to give it to him. It would be sad to see him go, he has quickly become an excellent OLB, but we will overcome his loss if it happens.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steeltheone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa.
Posts: 3,282
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6351
Thanks: 199
Thanked 292 Times in 179 Posts
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

Keyaron fox contract is up also. They need to see if he will be ready to take over for Farrior.
__________________
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

And everyone said I was crazy when I said an uncapped year wont change anything...

The big 4 players on defense are in the spotlight, but there are many players who's contracts expire this year.
I would say some people would take a "hometown" pay cut, like Suggs did for the Ravens, but Lewis refused to do it, and I always thought he was someone who was dedicated to his city, he clearly could care less. I'm having doubts about some Steeler plays and their "hometown" glory.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,148
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,488
Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,677 Posts
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
And everyone said I was crazy when I said an uncapped year wont change anything...

The big 4 players on defense are in the spotlight, but there are many players who's contracts expire this year.
I would say some people would take a "hometown" pay cut, like Suggs did for the Ravens, but Lewis refused to do it, and I always thought he was someone who was dedicated to his city, he clearly could care less. I'm having doubts about some Steeler plays and their "hometown" glory.
im gonna need direct links of "everybody" saying you were crazy, in order to believe it, otherwise i think you are greatly exaggerating for melodramatic effect.

however this figment of your imagination may not be too far off base.

the salary cap really changes nothing. we had a cap in 05, 08, and the steelers are operating as if there were a cap in place today.

this situation is really no different from when big ben, faneca, and polamalu were all up for contracts in the same year.

most will stay, 1 or 2 will go.

if there is a cap it will go up. players like smith and ward may retire (or be asked to "give to the cause").
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im gonna need direct links of "everybody" saying you were crazy, in order to believe it, otherwise i think you are greatly exaggerating for melodramatic effect.

however this figment of your imagination may not be too far off base.

the salary cap really changes nothing. we had a cap in 05, 08, and the steelers are operating as if there were a cap in place today.

this situation is really no different from when big ben, faneca, and polamalu were all up for contracts in the same year.

most will stay, 1 or 2 will go.

if there is a cap it will go up. players like smith and ward may retire (or be asked to "give to the cause").
Yea thanks I'm crazy. The site keeps freezing when I attempt to search for posts so just take my word on that a couple big posters here had a heated arguement with me about the salary cap, and then when I had the idea that the Steelers would set their own Salary cap (which they later did), I was bombarded with "you're a retard" and similar comments, I left the forum for a good 6 months, occasionally stopping by.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts