Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,561 Times in 3,985 Posts
Default Re: Collective Bargaining Agreement..How it affects the Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
This wouldn't hurt NE, Blitz. You don't want to compete against Kraft in an open market. This guy put up their new stadium with nothing but private money. How many other owners have done that?

The bottom line is that this will hurt professional football. Simple as that.

to kraft being able to spend freely. all kraft would have to do is keep adding 6,7,and 8 blades to his razors to field a winning team. all the rooneys really own is the steelers.

advantage: r. kraft.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
in a nutshell-

dan snyder makes more $$$ by naming the redskins stadium "fed ex field". this money isnt shared with all the other teams like tv revenue and ticket sales are.

on the other hand, his stadium has atleast 15,000 more seats than indiannapolis. all the teams ticket sales $$$ are put into a pool and divided equally.

we saw how steeler games got some of the highest ratings this year. a steeler game is much more likely to be watched than a cardinals game, however all tv revenue $$$$ is put into a pot and divided equally. the richest owners dont want to put the extra money they make like advertizing dollars into this pot.

kind of like the owner of the yankees has a deal with cable tv to broadcast yankees games. since pirate games arent in such high demand (people dont pay to see them on tv). the yankees are a richer club than the pirates. a-rod, jeter, and riviera make about as much money as the whole pirates roster.
So in this argument which way is which? It confuses me to no end and I feel like an idiot trying to understand it. Also, what does "Collective Bargaining Agreement" mean? If I sound like an idiot I'm sorry. I just never knew the inner workings of football or even heard about them until this past year. Thanks.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #13
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:

to kraft being able to spend freely. all kraft would have to do is keep adding 6,7,and 8 blades to his razors to field a winning team. all the rooneys really own is the steelers.

advantage: r. kraft.

You're not under the impression that Kraft owns Gillette are you?
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
tony hipchest

Quote:
You're not under the impression that Kraft owns Gillette are you?
i guess i was. maybe im thinking of the past owner and his vaccuums. what is krafts buisiness? maybe its proctor and gamble that owns gillette. actually no, im pretty sure theyre their own publicly traded company.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #15
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
i guess i was. maybe im thinking of the past owner and his vaccuums. what is krafts buisiness? maybe its proctor and gamble that owns gillette. actually no, im pretty sure theyre their own publicly traded company.
Yeah, Procter & Gamble owns Gillette. I don't believe the Krafts every had anything to do with Gillette. But you're right we had a shaving guy who owned the team for a year or so. I think he was the CEO or perhaps CEO/owner of Remington or some other electric razor company. But Gillette did buy the nameing rights to the stadium before Procter & Gamble took them over.

Last edited by hardwork; 03-05-2006 at 09:49 PM.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
tony hipchest

Quote:
Yeah, Procter & Gamble owns Gillette. I don't believe the Krafts every had anything to do with Gillette. But you're right we had a shaving guy who owned the team for a year or so. I think he was the CEO or perhaps CEO/owner of Remington or some other electric razor company. But Gillette did buy the nameing rights to the stadium before Procter & Gamble took them over.
it was remington. i think his last name starts with an 'm'. he didnt do too much for the team. i remember his corny vaccuum commercials. oreck maybe. i now remember p&g buying out gillette. it was when i dabbled in the stock market and i wished i owned gillette at the time.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #17
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I dont know. Is New England classed as small market?

They were right near the top of every category in that Forbes article a while back.

I am pretty sure that Robert Kraft is against the revenue sharing aspect of the proposed CBA.

NM

The Steelers are too, right up there with the best of them.. but teams like us and the Pats are careful with their money no matter how much they actually bring in..as opposed to the Daniel Snyders of the NFL who just spend money for the sake of spending it. Our cities could be considered small market I would imagine but we've definately made more headway towards the big boys in recent years.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
it was remington. i think his last name starts with an 'm'. he didnt do too much for the team. i remember his corny vaccuum commercials. oreck maybe. i now remember p&g buying out gillette. it was when i dabbled in the stock market and i wished i owned gillette at the time.
The man in question was the perma-tanned Victor Kiam.

Im sure he used to be on the adverts for the razors - looked like a used car salesman from what I remember.

"I loved the company so much - I bought the company" was his catchphrase.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 AM   #19
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
So in this argument which way is which? It confuses me to no end and I feel like an idiot trying to understand it. Also, what does "Collective Bargaining Agreement" mean? If I sound like an idiot I'm sorry. I just never knew the inner workings of football or even heard about them until this past year. Thanks.

BuFu
Here ya go.

http://www.patsfans.com/miguel/capsources.html

This is an old page that has been run by a guy who does alot of work for patfans.com - it includes a definition at the bottom and explains what the CBA is and various different scenarios.

Another link

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/10-3-04cba2.htm

Very basically, it is an agreement made between the NFL, the players (through the players union), and the team owners.

It covers all issues from lengths of rookie contracts to minimum vet salaries - the idea is to try and keep the NFL competitive, therefore enjoyable for the viewer...therefore profitable for the NFL, the players and the team owners.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #20
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,191 Times in 598 Posts

Looking at the senerio, it looks like the NFL wants to have a deal. They wouldnt have delayed it twice if they didnt want something to be done. I have always had the feeling they would make a deal one way or the other. A deal being done is HUGE for the Steelers. They are under the cap right now without even restructuring Okobi and Hartings contracts. So lets just say that the steelers are able to finish those two and get 4 million more off the books. If a deal is done, the cap may go up to 115 million. That would put us at 25 million under the cap.

I havent seen this reiterated so unless I am confused or wrong about the numbers, how the heck are we not going to be able to sign everyone. I know other teams will have more money to throw around as well but history has told all Steeler players that when the steelers give contracts out, 90% of them see all of it until the end of the contract. I think this is why El stated a week ago that he wouldnt let a million dollars set him apart from pittsburgh. Because maybe El sees that getting a 6 year 18 million contract from pitt as apose to a 6 year 24 million from somewhere else, with the way he is used in Pitt, he does take a chance going somewhere else and never seeing the last 2 or 3 years of that contract. However in pitt, if he is productive, the steelers always pay. And if they keep running this offense the way they are, he will always stay productive if he doesnt get injuried.

Hope is another guy who can really set himself apart from others. He knows that Troy the best SS in the league, he knows that Troy allows him to roam the secondary easier then he would with anyone else. Does he also want to take a chance and go somewhere where if he isnt playing a high level of ball, will he see the entire contract.

Keisel I think is the only guy out of the free agents that can go either way. He can go to cleveland and start right away and get big money. The great thing about pass rushers is it doesnt matter the sceme or defensive set, a pass rusher can flurish anywhere if he can rush the QB. Its an interesting time for the Steelers, I think if a deal is done, I truly believe we at least keep 2/3 of our big 3 free agents.

Its been so much fun being the champion in the off season. It allows us as fans to fantaize about the future. With out QB being as young as he is and already winning a ring, it adds even more to it. There are so many senerios that could happen, but here is my ultimate hope mixed in with a realistic view going into the 2006 season:

-El takes the money and goes home, ultimatly leaving for the money playing at home, cant blame him if he does.
-Sign Hope
-Sign Keisel
-Restructure Kimo, plays one more year
-Restructure Hartings and Okobi, Hartings plays one more year and Okobi takes over in 2007
-Draft Bobby Carpenter with 32nd pick
-Trade the 3 comp picks for a mid second pick and get Manny Lawson
-Draft Martin Nance with the 64th pick

Carpenter takes over Farriors spot in 2 years, Lawson takes Porters in 2 years, our linebacker factory continues.

Nance catches TD's and has a history with Ben. Love him as a player and love his work ethic. Tore his knee up in 2004 and came back and caught 14tds. Nance and Ward, 1 and 2 eventually with cedrick as the slot reciever. Wilson was brought to Pitt to replace EL, not Plax, so if you have been paying attention, the steelers will be looking for a big time reciever and im pretty positive if Nance is lurking in the late 2nd, Big Ben will suggest getting his old buddy.

If this is close to the future senerio, our chances of being a dominant team are very high and I really see the Steelers not only winning but destroying teams for a while.....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote