Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032
Default Finish Out The Game...!

One thing I cannot tolerate with Steelers football is how, when they do have a lead, they start playing soft. As is the case with today's win, I feel they do not play 60 minute football defensively like the Colts do for example. Our 'D' had their QB's so out of character that this style of pressure should've been kept up until the clock ticked to :00. Allowing them a cheap touchdown and padding Kerry Collins' stats was ridiculous. I understand the hot temperatures, but we almost gave it away. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts
Default Re: Finish Out The Game...!

"colts"

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Finish Out The Game...!

This game, no.

Historically, yes.

This game, the moment I saw Kerry Collins warming up, I went 'uh-oh. it's gonna be close.'
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
One thing I cannot tolerate with Steelers football is how, when they do have a lead, they start playing soft. As is the case with today's win, I feel they do not play 60 minute football defensively like the Colts do for example. Our 'D' had their QB's so out of character that this style of pressure should've been kept up until the clock ticked to :00. Allowing them a cheap touchdown and padding Kerry Collins' stats was ridiculous. I understand the hot temperatures, but we almost gave it away. Anyone else feel this way?
Technically if I say yes, then I'm against Lebeau and I'll get attacked and someone will blame Arians and people will argue.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
MikeHaullace
Starter

Quote:
Technically if I say yes, then I'm against Lebeau and I'll get attacked and someone will blame Arians and people will argue.

Seems to be a common thing, huh?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
"colts"

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis go after the Q and to strip fumbles until the end, not just standing the O-Line up and allowing passes to go downfield? lol... I didn't say Rams did I?

Yes it was prevent football at its finest, but to let them drive down the field so easy? We had 7 turnovers already, meaning we had an upper hand and instead of going for a knockout punch we let 'em get back up and take another swing? I don't get it. They stomped our towel, there should be no remorse lol...
Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHaullace View Post
This game, no.

Historically, yes.

This game, the moment I saw Kerry Collins warming up, I went 'uh-oh. it's gonna be close.'
really ? the game i was watching, they were up 19 - 3 with just a few minutes to go in the game .... so if they didn't let up, why did it come down to the very last play ?
i can't for the life of me figure out why coaches resort to the "prevent" D..... time and time again its proven to be a flawed concept. all mcfadden had to do was get called for interference and we could very well be trying to figure out how they lost in OT, instead of celebrating a win.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
the force is strong with this young jedi....
Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHaullace View Post

Seems to be a common thing, huh?
Anyone who wants an answer to something will get facts from somewhere to make their point. I could find reasons why Arians is amazing and why he sucks, but if you don't like him, the reasons why he sucks will stand out, if you like him you'll only see reasons why he's amazing. And if you're in the middle you'll see both and compromise.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
MikeHaullace
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
really ? the game i was watching, they were up 19 - 3 with just a few minutes to go in the game .... so if they didn't let up, why did it come down to the very last play ?
i can't for the life of me figure out why coaches resort to the "prevent" D..... time and time again its proven to be a flawed concept. all mcfadden had to do was get called for interference and we could very well be trying to figure out how they lost in OT, instead of celebrating a win.
i actually scolded a fellow brother-n-nation for saying 'this game is wrapped up' when it was 19-3.

come on. we both know the prevent d is to keep everything in front and in bounds to wind the clock.

it seemed like a logically safe decision from a coaching standpoint as there were what? 2-3 minutes left in the game and, the Oilers had to get down field, AND score a TD AND get the 2 pt. conv, AND recover the onside kick, AND drive again, AND score another TD, AND convert another 2pt conv, JUST to TIE. So yes, from a coaching perspective, it makes sense. A lot to do in a little amount of time against a D that can tackle in the open field. I think that also, chance of injury would in turn decline. i dunno though. i never studied statistics.

from a fan's perspective, i want to see a dominating D dominate until the whistle blows and the other team's offense is begging for mercy.

it's a good thing mcfadden didn't get called for interference. in fact, he didn't get called because he made a great defensive play with clark's assistance and bing... loss of down. so keep celebrating. i know i will.