Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Who will be quarterback next week? Tomlin isn't sure

Who will be quarterback next week? Tomlin isn't sure
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_700355.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 20, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Starting quarterback Dennis Dixon left with a knee injury in the second quarter Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. For a while, backup Charlie Batch, under defensive duress, appeared to be headed toward a similar fate.

Batch survived.

Amazingly, so did the Steelers' moribund offense in a 19-11 win that was the result of a stout defense and opportunistic special teams play.

"I was trying to do anything I can to help this team win,'' said Batch, who completed 5 of 11 passes for 25 yards. "That was going in there and executing the game plan.''

With Dixon sidelined, Batch was the only Steelers quarterback dressed and eligible to play, although coach Mike Tomlin said Dixon could have returned and "handed the ball off to finish the game.''

"If I had to go in the game, I would have done it,'' Dixon said.

Wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, who played quarterback at Indiana well enough to receive Heisman Trophy consideration his senior year, could have played quarterback in an emergency. He wasn't needed.

Byron Leftwich was released Saturday in a roster move, so the Steelers could sign nose tackle Steve McLendon because Casey Hampton was out with a hamstring injury.

Leftwich is expected to re-sign today, which could create a logjam to see which quarterback will start next week at Tampa Bay -- Dixon, Leftwich or Batch. Ben Roethlisberger, serving a four-game suspension, won't be eligible until after the Steelers' bye week.

"I don't know who is going to play quarterback. I know it won't be me. I'm not good enough,'' Tomlin said.

If he receives good news regarding his MRI, Dixon wants to start against the Buccaneers.

"Will I be ready next week? Yeah, I think I can. I planted wrong, it didn't feel right after that,'' said Dixon, who rushed for 28 yards on three carries and suffered the injury while running with the ball on his final series of the game. "If it's something serious, I want to be able to rehab. But I don't think it is.''

Dixon, who was 4 of 6 for 18 yards, described his afternoon this way: "It started off rocky as far as communication. But things started to slow down after that.''

The Steelers generated 127 total yards and seven first downs. Neither quarterback guided the offense to a touchdown.

"We are leaving a lot of offense on the field,'' said Batch, who also wants consideration in the quarterback derby.

"I always want to throw my hat in the ring,'' Batch said. "It's just a matter of if the opportunity presents itself. You never know when your number is going to be called.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Stanley
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16092
Default Re: Who will be quarterback next week? Tomlin isn't sure

I say start Charlie Batch.
Batch did a good job yesterday.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Leftwich, if he can go!

Watching paint dry was more exciting than Dixon and Batch. We need some sort of passing threat to keep the running game going for 2 more weeks.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

Does it really matter. I don't think so just don't turn the ball over and we will win.Our D will win the game if the offense don't loose it

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyssteelcurtain View Post
Does it really matter. I don't think so just don't turn the ball over and we will win.Our D will win the game if the offense don't loose it
Agreed. Batch or Lefty would be fine, b/c if given the chance they can pass (not sure they'll get the chance often though).

I know some will say they want Dixon b/c he can run if pressured...but that didn't seem to work out too well for us Sunday lol. Plus if there's anyone I worry about turning the ball over, it's him.

Batch or Lefty will protect the ball and handle the pressure better than he will. So either one of them is fine with me.

With that said, I'm sure the coaches will start Dixon on Sunday.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
kiuaswarrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16740

I can't see them starting Leftwich, but maybe he'll know a thing or two against his former teammates.
kiuaswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,473 Times in 2,751 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

batch was doing really well imo, just had a string of bad luck. he had one TD called back by a penalty and another that clanged off ward's hands. for the most part he was on target though.

at this point i think he's the best choice. i do worry if he can make it through 2 games though
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
kiuaswarrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
batch was doing really well imo, just had a string of bad luck. he had one TD called back by a penalty and another that clanged off ward's hands. for the most part he was on target though.

at this point i think he's the best choice. i do worry if he can make it through 2 games though
You're right, he's the most healthy QB we have right now, so why not start him?

Dixon can be 2nd and Leftwich 3rd.
kiuaswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,369 Times in 568 Posts

I don't see how it can NOT be Leftwhich. He was slated to start to begin with and this offense has been beyond pathetic with Dixon at the helm. Charlie is obviously being used as our own little emergency and we are scared to death of his durability. At this point, Leftwhich is our only hope at providing a spark and he should deserve the shot to come back and start against a team he was apart of last season. I can see the "controversy" if we were lighting it up, but now with Dixon hurting his knee in the midst of not performing well in his 2 starts, Lefty deserves his shot atleast for this game.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Batch earned the right to start next week.....Plain and simple!