Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default 5 Steeler Thoughts post game 2

1. Irony -You would think with our oustanding play of our defense that we might be ranked number one. The irony is it is our play that has put Tennessee as the number 1 defense and number 1 against the pass.

2. Offense could be worse- I know you are sitting there thinking our offense couldn't be any worse. You'd be wrong. We are only 31st. Buffalo is worse. Poor Wallace. He will give Ben the biggest hug upon his return

3. This will be our year -I really feel like we can win the Super Bowl this year. Now that the defense is producing turnovers (which will help with field position) when ben comes back, he should be able to take advantage. He will be healthier and not as tired or bruised when playoffs come (will only have 36 sacks on him instead of 48).

4. Love the rotation to keep fresh concept - That was a great concept to keep the defense fresh. I know they did it because of the heat but maybe they should consider doing it once in a while when the defense is playing too much just to keep everyone fresh. In addition, they should rotate Randel El so as to keep him fresh too.

5. Timmons is beasting -Yes Harrison was back to excellent form and he deserves player of the game (Woodley and Troy right there too) but we knew that. What is a nice addition is Timmons IS having that breakout year we've been talking about. Right now, It is hard for me to imagine those 4 not making the Probowl. The whole D is beast. It sucks that we have to handle the contracts of Woodley, Ike, Troy and Timmons next off season. I want all 4 back.

Any thoughts?
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: 5 Steeler Thoughts post game 2

All 4 will be back, bank on it.....Rooney would be a fool to let Troy go. Imagine him on a division team playing against us.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Some honorable mention thoughts would probablu be:

6. I miss Starks
7. I don't hate Gay anymore -e's good as a nickel back
8. They blew the whistle Prematurely on the BMac pick. By the time the defender touched him he was on his feet but once they blew the wistle, the Titans could use that as an excuse for why they didn't tackle him.
9. That kickoff return could lead to more magic. What they could do is run it two more times. On eht next one, fake like they are giving it to him on the reverse but keep it then on the following one, fake like you are giving it to him, let them blow him off then lateral it to him (risky ...it should be ARE lateralling it to Brown)
Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
All 4 will be back, bank on it.....Rooney would be a fool to let Troy go. Imagine him on a division team playing against us.
Troy I'm sure of. Because of last year, the Steelers would never let Troy go. He will retire a Steeler (Thank God).

I'm not sure about Woodley, Timmons and Ike. I must admit I've been pusing Ike over Woodley because I thought Woodley was easier to replace but Woodley is so much of the Steelers character that I'd hate to lose him. I want Timmons too. Farrior can't play forever. Ugggghhh...I just want all 4. They should have done Ike this year so they would only have to deal with the 3. I guess they were waiting to see if Keenan Lewis stepped up. With Crezdon Butler looking good, they may let Ike walk.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
steelermania08
Water Boy

Member Number: 16871

The best part about being a Steeler fan is you know what to expect. I came into that game 100% confident CJ was not going to keep his 100 yard streak going. I remember thinking the same thing when LT had that streak a couple years ago. Yeah, he did get that 80 yd run but if it was not for the hold who knows if he would of actually got it.

Also, once the second half came around VY and CJ basically gave up. CJ was shaken up one play and after that he was hesitating once he got to the line of scrimmage rather than exploding. After that huge tackle of Vince Young he was shaken the rest of the game and just did not look like himself.

The Dennis Dixon injury did not look bad at all....is that his bad knee?

They need to keep at least 2 of the 4 right? Polamalu for sure, Timmons/Woodley , then Ike....s**t you are right. Losing any of those four would be horrible...

A little side note. If people can take 2 seconds and go to this site

http://www.woolshedbaa.com/NFL.html

and vote for the Steelers game to be played at this bar in Dublin next week. It would be greatly appreciated!
steelermania08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
[B] It sucks that we have to handle the contracts of Woodley, Ike, Troy and Timmons next off season. I want all 4 back.

Any thoughts?
Say your goodbyes to Ike and his poor ball skills. He'll be 30-something anyway, and with depth at cornerback, it looks like Ike's days in Pittsburgh are numbered.

Timmons will get a contract, I really don't think there's any question. He's only like 24 and he's entering his prime - and by the look of things he's turning into an absolute beast.

Polamalu will surely get a contract. After watching their defense struggle last year without him, why would anybody let him go. He's meant so much to the franchise, and the city loves him. The Rooneys surely want him to retire a Steeler. Plus, they lack depth at safety.

I'd say Woodley will at least get franchised, as long as that's still an option. From there, I'd say it depends on how Gibson and Worilds develop. My guess is, with Harrison getting up there, Wodley is here for the long haul.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Here's my take from yesterday's game.

The 3 most important plays of the game were.

1. Opening reverse on the KO for the TD. The Steelers needed to play with the lead, great call, great execution, great result.

2. Troy's interception.The Titans had first and 10 at our 16 down only 7-3. Score a td there and Titans seize the momentum, and the opening kickoff virtually goes for naught. We were not equippped to play from behind. You cannot underestimate the significance of this play. Also imo Troy got into Young's head with this play, and his confidence suffered as a result.

3.The offensive holding call that nullified Johnson's 85 yard TD romp. Johnson was very much a frustrated player yesterday. Stats matter to him. Losing that run and the accompyning td further added to his tanking the second half.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089

[QUOTE=cloppbeast;846421]Say your goodbyes to Ike and his poor ball skills. He'll be 30-something anyway, and with depth at cornerback, it looks like Ike's days in Pittsburgh are numbered.

Ike almost cost us the game. He has to learn to turn around. He used to be lights out. Now he scares me a little. If we have to lose one it would be him.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelermania08 View Post
The Dennis Dixon injury did not look bad at all....is that his bad knee?

They need to keep at least 2 of the 4 right? Polamalu for sure, Timmons/Woodley , then Ike....s**t you are right. Losing any of those four would be horrible...

A little side note. If people can take 2 seconds and go to this site

http://www.woolshedbaa.com/NFL.html

and vote for the Steelers game to be played at this bar in Dublin next week. It would be greatly appreciated!
That was the same knee on Dixon but different part of knee.

I really would like to keep all 4 plus Reed but it looks like Ike is out.

I did vote. I can't believe so many want to see the NE vs Buffalo game. That will be a blowout but I guess they want to see Brady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Say your goodbyes to Ike and his poor ball skills. He'll be 30-something anyway, and with depth at cornerback, it looks like Ike's days in Pittsburgh are numbered.

I'd say Woodley will at least get franchised, as long as that's still an option. From there, I'd say it depends on how Gibson and Worilds develop. My guess is, with Harrison getting up there, Wodley is here for the long haul.
Yeah...I think Ike is gone. Gay and Lewis will compete for his spot and Butler will compete for nickel. It is not really his play. I think they want to use the probable 5 million elsewhere.

With Woodley, I'm sure they would love to keep him but the question is how much? I think if it's less than 8 million, they'll pay him but if he wants more than 9 million, they'll let him walk. The buffer zone is the 8 million range (Harrison got 8.53 million per year). They can't afford to play every star defensive player 8 million per year. If his agent comes with some hoopla like "We believe Woodley is one of the top 2 OLBs in the league and he should be paid that way." ...well then he's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Here's my take from yesterday's game.

The 3 most important plays ...
2. Troy's interception.The Titans...
It appeared as though the player slightly more shallow was open but maybe Troy could have gotten there quickly enough to rattle the guy.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

With Woodley, if he is going to be forcing fumbles like Harrison and making picks, he will be too hard to replace (but also maybe too expensive). If he is just going to turn in sacks, ...that I think we can replace.