Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harris: Injury scuttles Dixon's big chance

Harris: Injury scuttles Dixon's big chance
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_700502.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It was only two games -- two games that may have determined Dennis Dixon's future with the Steelers.

Officially, Dixon has started three NFL games -- two this year, one last year. He has a 2-1 record, but he's probably started his last game in a black-and-gold uniform.

I always believed Dixon was playing for the 31 other NFL teams. The Steelers are Ben Roethlisberger's team, and Dixon will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Dixon's future as a starter with the Steelers is limited, to say the least.

His four-game audition while Roethlisberger serves his suspension ended abruptly when an MRI revealed he suffered torn cartilage in his left knee during Sunday's 19-11 win at Tennessee. It's the same knee he injured his senior year at Oregon that cost him a chance of winning the Heisman Trophy.

The prognosis is not good. Dixon could miss the next couple of weeks, according to NFL sources. When he returns, Roethlisberger will be back in the lineup, and Dixon will be back on the bench.

It's a terrible blow for Dixon, who completed 22 of 32 passes for 254 yards with no touchdowns and one interception this season.

Dixon's numbers were far from outstanding but weren't reason to push the panic button, as long as defense continued to dominate for the 2-0 Steelers. Unfortunately, Dixon didn't help his cause because of indecisive decision-making, a lack of defensive recognition and questionable arm strength, particularly on intermediate tosses, that trapped him in a sort of no-man's land on the depth chart.

Coach Mike Tomlin will choose between Byron Leftwich, who is recovering from a knee injury he suffered in the final preseason game, and 35-year-old Charlie Batch until Roethlisberger returns Oct. 17 against Cleveland at Heinz Field. That's a scary proposition for Tomlin -- which of his immobile quarterbacks to start against a rejuvenated Tampa Bay defense behind a beat-up offensive line that's yielded seven sacks in the first two games.

Too bad for Dixon, who still had the confidence of his teammates despite playing nowhere close to his potential.

Defensive captain James Farrior attempted to boost Dixon's spirits after the Tennessee game -- and before learning that he would no longer be the starter.

Farrior sensed Dixon was holding back his talent as a multidimensional passer/runner and wanted him to know he still believed in him.

"I told him just let it all hang out -- don't hold back. Go out there and be the athlete that you are and make plays," said Farrior, an inside linebacker. "The way our defense has been playing, he can go out there with confidence knowing that if he makes a mistake we're going to have his back.

"For a young quarterback, his first opportunity, you don't want to make mistakes and you play a little cautious. I think he might have that in his mind right now."

One explanation for Dixon not playing with confidence during his short stint as a starter could be as elementary as how the Steelers were asking him to play.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians wanted Dixon to keep his running to a minimum. Dixon is a young, inexperienced quarterback. Telling him not to run so early in his career limited his effectiveness, stunted his growth and made him a sitting duck behind the Steelers' porous line.

Sure, Dixon must improve his arm strength. He's going to have to prove he can consistently locate his second and third reads and also make those difficult throws toward the sideline that can make or break a quarterback.

But Dixon looked quite capable on a 52-yard bomb to Mike Wallace against Atlanta in the opener. And his accuracy and arm strength were in perfect sync on a 68-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Brown in a preseason game against Detroit.

Dixon displayed snippets of his dangerous running ability during a 21-yard scramble against Tennessee before injuring his knee. It was the longest run from scrimmage for either team.

Dixon's untapped potential is why Farrior said teammates still believe in the young QB.

"I don't think he's as comfortable as he would like to be. That's understandable for a young guy," Farrior said. "He's just got to get the reps and build on them."

Words to live by.

Too bad Dixon may have to get those reps with another team.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
Default Re: Harris: Injury scuttles Dixon's big chance

That story is more than a little heart breaking. I really hope that things will work out for the best for Dixon, whether in Pittsburgh or on a team six states away, the kid deserves the best. He's been dealt a bad hand so far, but I hope that in time, it will have only made him stronger!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Hi5Steeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 16852

horse pucky.

baloney.

I was a BIG fan of dixon.

last year in his second year he pulled out a ....LOSS when he started. I could give a flying rat if he didnt have the snaps with first team.

this year he had plenty of reps with first team and his first game he pulled out a WIN. great news and move on. What he didnt play well enough for other teams to want him? Imagine that we drafted a back up that played like a back up. sense some animosity in me? good. i had high hopes for choker dixon.

third start he plays like total shit then gets hurt.

yea yea o line shuffling... o line injuries ....whatever.

dennis dixon is no big ben. hell hes not even an eli manning. not even close.

dennis dixon in his THIRD year showed tentativeness...innacuracy.... and no killer instinct.

id rather have batch than dixon backing up big ben. dixons potential explosiveness...game changing talent.... has NEVER materialized.

the experiment is over. we should trade him for what we got him for. a fifth round pick.

time to move on.

we have one of the top two quarterbacks in the entire nfl. and a decent backup in batch.

draft a qb next year and trade dixon before hes too old.

next subject.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Harris: Injury scuttles Dixon's big chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi5Steeler View Post
horse pucky.

baloney.

I was a BIG fan of dixon.

last year in his second year he pulled out a ....LOSS when he started. I could give a flying rat if he didnt have the snaps with first team.

this year he had plenty of reps with first team and his first game he pulled out a WIN. great news and move on. What he didnt play well enough for other teams to want him? Imagine that we drafted a back up that played like a back up. sense some animosity in me? good. i had high hopes for choker dixon.

third start he plays like total shit then gets hurt.

yea yea o line shuffling... o line injuries ....whatever.

dennis dixon is no big ben. hell hes not even an eli manning. not even close.

dennis dixon in his THIRD year showed tentativeness...innacuracy.... and no killer instinct.

id rather have batch than dixon backing up big ben. dixons potential explosiveness...game changing talent.... has NEVER materialized.

the experiment is over. we should trade him for what we got him for. a fifth round pick.

time to move on.

we have one of the top two quarterbacks in the entire nfl. and a decent backup in batch.

draft a qb next year and trade dixon before hes too old.

next subject.
Exactly this.

Dennis Dixon was fast enough to beat out a ton of college defenses. That's... about... it.

I mean, I tried to believe in him. I really did. I had a lot of faith that he could develop his skills.

My main scare about him was, his frame. He is frail in terms of today's NFL size and stature. It was only a matter of time before he got hurt anyway. It's a good thing it wasn't more serious than it was in retrospect.

That being said, he played like a college QB in an NFL game. He was definitely hesitant and uncertain of himself. This is why his talents never materialized. Ironically enough, the game is too fast for him.

The experiment is over, indeed. Remember the last, dare I say, "black quarterback" (good thing I don't work for ESPN) experiment? Yeah. That was about 5-6 years too long. (I was all smiles when he punted though.)

By the way. Good to see you're still out in the internet, Hi5. Now fix your broken-ass banner. (see: Troy side-step, falling-backwards tackle, AFCC, Stillers victorious.)
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Take it easy on Eli....He has a ring!