Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
dcperrong
Water Boy

Member Number: 2127
Default Collective Bargaining Agreement..How it affects the Steelers

SO what is going to be the main fallout if this stuff doesnt get done for the Steelers?
dcperrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Collective Bargaining Agreement..How it affects the Steelers

I edit'd the title of your thread so members know we're talking about the Steelers in this thread

The Steelers have already released Tommy and Willie Williams to make sure they are under the cap..they continue to renegoiate contracts with other players to make more room. What it means other than that is a wait and see now. How much will Hope and El be willing to take to come back, how much of a signing bonus will it take. In the future it means the teams like the Cowboys, the Skins, the Raiders, the Dolphins, all the big market teams will eat up all the good players while all the successful teams even though they are small market ones like the steelers, indy, NE, bengals, etc..will have a MUCH harder time signing players becuz we just cant afford to give them as much as somebody else. Players will want to come play of us because we're a successful team..but in this day and age with young players.. money talks !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
I edit'd the title of your thread so members know we're talking about the Steelers in this thread

The Steelers have already released Tommy and Willie Williams to make sure they are under the cap..they continue to renegoiate contracts with other players to make more room. What it means other than that is a wait and see now. How much will Hope and El be willing to take to come back, how much of a signing bonus will it take. In the future it means the teams like the Cowboys, the Skins, the Raiders, the Dolphins, all the big market teams will eat up all the good players while all the successful teams even though they are small market ones like the steelers, indy, NE, bengals, etc..will have a MUCH harder time signing players becuz we just cant afford to give them as much as somebody else. Players will want to come play of us because we're a successful team..but in this day and age with young players.. money talks !
I dont know. Is New England classed as small market?

They were right near the top of every category in that Forbes article a while back.

I am pretty sure that Robert Kraft is against the revenue sharing aspect of the proposed CBA.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
dcperrong
Water Boy

Member Number: 2127

Yea they showed Kraft storming out of some meeting. what a jerk.
dcperrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts

noone has more to gain by NOT sharing than the patriots. redskins have pretty much operated around the cap since dan snyder has taken over and it hasnt translated into a championship. jerry jones could write all the checks he wants and that wouldnt necessarily lead them to the promised land. kraft has won 3 times within the parameters of the cap and would freeley spend to keep his team up front for the remainder of the bilechick/brady era. you think he would let vinatieri go in an uncapped system? after years of the redsox playing 2nd fiddle to the yankees nothing would please the boston market more than to dominate in another sport. this would give kraft the ability to raise ticket prices. extra money he would be able to spend after next year would lead to increased revenues in the long run. he knows this.

these 9 richest owners are preparing for the worst. budgeting that extra money they may have to share. if they dont have to share it they (if smart and dedicated to winning) they will gladly drop it into their own team to try and gain a competitive edge. patriots right now already have the competitive edge of the continuity and ability to recruit players on the cheap.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

If the elimination of a salary cap means that big teams can just buy up all the good players than I am in no way supportive of that. It eliminates any competitiveness and the NFL will descend into baseball where the same teams win year after year. What does the rest have to do with it? I'm still trying to understand the sharing of profits. If someone can explain it to me I would be very grateful. Peace.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
If the elimination of a salary cap means that big teams can just buy up all the good players than I am in no way supportive of that. It eliminates any competitiveness and the NFL will descend into baseball where the same teams win year after year. What does the rest have to do with it? I'm still trying to understand the sharing of profits. If someone can explain it to me I would be very grateful. Peace.

BuFu
in a nutshell-

dan snyder makes more $$$ by naming the redskins stadium "fed ex field". this money isnt shared with all the other teams like tv revenue and ticket sales are.

on the other hand, his stadium has atleast 15,000 more seats than indiannapolis. all the teams ticket sales $$$ are put into a pool and divided equally.

we saw how steeler games got some of the highest ratings this year. a steeler game is much more likely to be watched than a cardinals game, however all tv revenue $$$$ is put into a pot and divided equally. the richest owners dont want to put the extra money they make like advertizing dollars into this pot.

kind of like the owner of the yankees has a deal with cable tv to broadcast yankees games. since pirate games arent in such high demand (people dont pay to see them on tv). the yankees are a richer club than the pirates. a-rod, jeter, and riviera make about as much money as the whole pirates roster.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Don't assume that when and if the CBA negotiations finally expire the players will placidly wait to play out 2006 and then, in an "uncapped" 2007, figure they will cash in.

Three groups of players are getting major financial hits by no renewal of the CBA: this year's crop of FAs, who will be getting bonuses that can be amortized over less time within a lower cap; top draft choices in this year's draft; and, since the FA years of service requirement goes from 4 to 6 years in 2007 with no new CBA, FAs who will have 4 or 5 years of service but not be eligible for FA status in 2007. What brought Upshaw back to the bargaining table was screaming by those players and their agents.

Gene Upshaw has been attending recent press conferences with his anti-trust lawyer.
What you will next probably see is a move to decertify the NFLPA as the players' union, followed by an anti-trust suit that, among other matters, would challenge the legality of the draft. At that point, you also get the NCAA having a stake in this, since Maurice Clarett's atttempt to leave Ohio State before he played 3 years of college ball was defeated because the CBA between the NFLPA and NFL, which requires the 3 years in college, defeated the argument that keeping Clarett from leaving for the NFL whenever he wanted was illegal. That defense against early departures by college players dies with the death of the CBA.

So, no new CBA could mean: no draft and college football facing the same mess college basketball currently faces with early departures.

A CBA will get done before this gets to the courts or the NFL as we know it will be done. The investments of Jerry Jones, Danny Snyder, and Bob Kraft will not maintain their current value if the NFL loses an anti-trust suit and the draft expires, so no CBA is not an unmixed blessing to them either.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

This wouldn't hurt NE, Blitz. You don't want to compete against Kraft in an open market. This guy put up their new stadium with nothing but private money. How many other owners have done that?

The bottom line is that this will hurt professional football. Simple as that.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Don't assume that when and if the CBA negotiations finally expire the players will placidly wait to play out 2006 and then, in an "uncapped" 2007, figure they will cash in.
great point atl. dan. this deal will really only benefit the pro bowlers and superstars. the impression is given that ALL players will benefit. maybe there would be a little bump in the vet minimum or something, but most players would be unaffected. the extra 10 mil or so added to the cap would essentially be spent on players like ben when it came to offering him a $110 million contract vs. someone else who offers him $100 mil.

thanks for helping keep us up to speed on alot of these issues.