Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Penguins Report: First Game at Consol

**This game is not being televised** Go here to listen to the game online...http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=57403

Penguins Report: First Game at CONSOL
Wednesday, 09.22.2010 / 8:30 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan

10:21 AM:
The Penguins did a little power play work. Letang and Malkin worked the points with Crosby, Comrie and Tangradi down low.

Letang was at the right point, with Malkin working the left. Crosby was in his usual spot along the halfwall. Comrie floated and Tangradi planted himself in front of the goaltender.

This will be the unit that works tonight with the man-advantage.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

10:14 AM:
The Penguins are on the ice for their morning skate session. Brett Sterling, the hero of Monday's scrimmage with two goals, will get a shot playing alongside Sidney Crosby. The second line of Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin has been the same since the start of camp.

Sterling-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin
Wallace-Letestu-Kennedy
Craig-Vitale-Boulerice

Orpik-Michalek
Letang-Strait
Potter-Hutchinson
__________________________________________________ _______________________

9:00 AM:
The first-ever game at CONSOL Energy Center will be played this evening between Pittsburgh and Detroit. A lot of big names will be in the lineup. Notables for Pittsburgh are Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury, Brooks Orpik, Eric Tangradi, Zbynek Michalek and Kris Letang. Notables for Detroit are Brad Stuart, Jiri Hudler, Todd Bertuzzi, Valtteri Filppula, Mike Modano and Johan Franzen.

Complete rosters for the game are below:

PENGUINS

Forwards
9 Pascal Dupuis
10 Mark Letestu
12 Brett Sterling
19 Mike Comrie
22 Tim Wallace
23 Ryan Craig
42 Eric Tangradi
46 Joe Vitale
48 Tyler Kennedy
62 Jesse Boulerice
71 Evgeni Malkin
87 Sidney Crosby

Defensemen
2 Corey Potter
4 Zbynek Michalek
8 Andrew Hutchinson
37 Brian Strait
44 Brooks Orpik
58 Kris Letang

Goaltenders
29 Marc-Andre Fleury
39 Brad Thiessen

RED WINGS

Forwards
8 Justin Abdelkader
11 Dan Cleary
17 Patrick Eaves
18 Kirk Maltby
20 Drew Miller
26 Jiri Hudler
32 Aaron Downey
42 Mattias Ritola
43 Darren Helm
44 Todd Bertuzzi
51 Valtteri Filppula
90 Mike Modano
93 Johan Franzen

Defensemen
2 Brendan Smith
4 Jakub Kindl
14 Derek Meech
23 Brad Stuart
24 Ruslan Salei
25 Brian Lashoff
37 Doug Janik
52 Jonathan Ericsson

Goaltenders
30 Chris Osgood
38 Thomas McCollum

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Re: Penguins Report: First Game at Consol

I didn't get a chance to listen to the game but it looks like the Pens kicked ass.

Just wish the first game in the new arena - although preseason - would have been televised.

Quote:
The only downer on a spectacular evening was Crosby missing the third period due to a sore hip flexor. Neither head coach Dan Bylsma nor Crosby expect the injury to be anything serious.
God please, I hope they aren't sugar coating something here and that he'll be healthy two weeks from today.

It's bad enough that Staal is still on crutches but an unheathy Crosby is a whole different dynamic.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
A Mans Part
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post

Just wish the first game in the new arena - although preseason - would have been televised.

That's crazy that it wasn't.
A Mans Part is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Yeah...I wasn't happy that this game wasn't televised either. It's the Wings, first game of preseason and first game at the Consol...come on.

Pens won 5-1 though...Sterling played an amazing game. The next game (@ Columbus I think) is going to be televised. I'll inform anyone who is interested of links to the game.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
A Mans Part
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16858

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Yeah...I wasn't happy that this game wasn't televised either. It's the Wings, first game of preseason and first game at the Consol...come on.

Pens won 5-1 though...Sterling played an amazing game. The next game (@ Columbus I think) is going to be televised. I'll inform anyone who is interested of links to the game.
<
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins 5, Red Wings 1 Wednesday, 09.22.2010 / 11:02 PM Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Sidney Crosby gave Pittsburgh Penguins fans a goal, an assist and a scare in the first hockey game at Consol Energy Center.

Crosby sat out the third period because of a sore hip flexor and Pittsburgh beat the Detroit Red Wings 5-1 on Wednesday night in preseason play.

The injury is not expected to be serious.

"No, not at all," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. "Just sore and precautionary, and no need to push it past that."

Crosby said he would not count himself out to play in the team's next preseason game, at Columbus on Friday night, should Bylsma elect to dress him.

"I think I just might have tweaked it a bit," Crosby said. "That's nothing new this time of year for me. It usually takes a couple weeks to get comfortable and feel good. It's noting that I'm too worried about."

Red Wings power forward Johan Franzen left the game with 1:43 remaining in the first period after sustaining a leg injury on a hit by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Orpik was given a major penalty for kneeing. Franzen missed 55 games last season because of a knee injury.

"We think more of his thigh, but we'll get him checked out," Red Wings coach Mike Bab**** said. "We hope he'd going to be fine."

The game was not televised, so no one had seen a replay of the hit, yet players and coaches on both sides reserved comment on whether Orpik should be disciplined. Orpik was not available for comment.

Pittsburgh's Mike Comrie scored the first goal in the new building, connecting at 1:21 of the first period. Ryan Craig had two goals, and Brett Sterling also scored for the Penguins. Ruslan Salei scored for Detroit.

Playing their first home game in Pittsburgh in the 44-year team history at a venue other than the Civic Arena, the Penguins beat the team they had met during two of the past three Stanley Cup Finals.

"The atmosphere was great," Crosby said. "I think all the guys were really excited about being in this game and playing the first one here. It's pretty easy to tell guys came here tonight ready to compete and do a lot of good things."

With a sellout crowd of 18,087 and both teams using much of their "A" lineups, the $321 million arena opened with an almost regular-season intensity.

"It looks like a beautiful building, and I imagine it's state of the art," Bab**** said. "Every new building in the league seems to outdo the one previous to it."

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...401#post847401

Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

The Columbus game will be shown on NHL Network on Saturday for anyone who might be interested.

I know I'll be watching.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Yesss....me too! I knew one of them with Columbus was televised, just couldn't remember if it was tomorrows or Saturdays. I think it's supposed to be on FSN out here too...not sure.