Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Black and Heat

So the Bucs plan to make us wear our black jerseys just like the Titans did last week...probably because of the heat.

I'm not sure it will make much of a difference.

I'm not sure whether on a hot day I feel particularly hotter in black.

It clearly makes a difference with metal and cement/tar. I remember in high school there was a team whose colors were black and gold so they had every other metal bench painted black and yellow. The yellow ones were slightly warm. The black ones would burn you seriously.

It probably makes a slight difference but not one that our brain can fully process. Hot is hot. Just like if you have a white and a black person outside on a hot day, they will probably both just say "This is HOT." LOL

Last edited by SteelKnight; 09-22-2010 at 06:04 PM.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
#1LambertFan
Starter

Member Number: 5489
Default Re: Black and Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
So the Ttitans plan to make us wear our black jerseys just like the Titans did last week...probably because of the heat.

I'm not sure it will make much of a difference.

I'm not sure whether on a hot day I feel particularly hotter in black.

It clearly makes a difference with metal and cement/tar. I remember in high school there was a team whose colors were black and gold so they had every other metal bench painted black and yellow. The yellow ones were slightly warm. The black ones would burn you seriously.

It probably makes a slight difference but not one that our brain can fully process. Hot is hot. Just like if you have a white and a black person outside on a hot day, they will probably both just say "This is HOT." LOL
You mean the Bucs? Thats a Florida thing. Visiting teams usually wear their darker uniforms for away games. Yes it is much hotter in black jerseys... Trust me. It is about a 10-15 degree difference in direct sunlight.
#1LambertFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Yeah, I imagine it will affect them the same way in Tampa that it did in Tenn. Only thing you can hope for at that point is that it rains some (which it might Sunday). They dealt with it pretty well last week though, so I figure it will be much of the same. Just keep guys hydrated and rotate them often.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Tomlin coached there, so hopefully hes got some insight to minimize the impact as best they can

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LambertFan View Post
You mean the Bucs? Thats a Florida thing. Visiting teams usually wear their darker uniforms for away games. Yes it is much hotter in black jerseys... Trust me. It is about a 10-15 degree difference in direct sunlight.
IDK. As someone with a science background, it would be an interesting experiment. Certainly the actually body wouldn't vary that much in temperature (15 degrees) but the question is how much work would the body have to do to keep temperature regulation? (probably more in black)

Like I said, I've clearly noticed it with metal/cement etc.

Maybe tomorrow if it is hot like it was today, I'll go out in two different shirts (white and black) and see if I notice a difference. I believe there would be a slight difference but not enough for your brain to process. I could be wrong.

If you are right, maybe that's why they chose Batch...he is lighter than Lefty...lol

The best test would be on a less hot day in direct sunlight to see if the black will make the person hot while the white does not. When it is super hot, it will probably feel hot anyway.

Besides, a lot of the heat we feel in the direct sunlight will be from the sun hitting our face/head. Now that one I will believe that if you had a black skimask and a white skimask you would notice a difference...but shirt or pants...eh...we'll see.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

If its as hot there as it is here today, wouldnt want to be in that game....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
Tomlin coached there, so hopefully hes got some insight to minimize the impact as best they can
They did a great job rotating players last week on the D-line. Hopefully they will do that again and keep everyone fresh and hydrated. They should be drinking everytime they get to the sideline.

Hey...is there a portable potty there? lol It would suck to have to go into the lockeroom to pee. There must be. I've never heard of anyone having to take a pee break. lol
Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
IDK. As someone with a science background, it would be an interesting experiment. Certainly the actually body wouldn't vary that much in temperature (15 degrees) but the question is how much work would the body have to do to keep temperature regulation? (probably more in black)

Maybe tomorrow if it is hot like it was today, I'll go out in two different shirts (white and black) and see if I notice a difference. I believe there would be a slight difference but not enough for your brain to process. I could be wrong.

If you are right, maybe that's why they chose Batch...he is lighter than Lefty...lol

The best test would be on a less hot day in direct sunlight to see if the black will make the person hot while the white does not. When it is super hot, it will probably feel hot anyway.

Besides, a lot of the heat we feel in the direct sunlight will be from the sun hitting our face/head. Now that one I will believe that if you had a black skimask and a white skimask you would notice a difference...but shirt or pants...eh...we'll see.
Its a proven fact darker colors absorbs light quicker and more efficiant than lighter colors. I've seen people do this experiment atleast 1000 times in my life time and I'm only 19. I've even see Bill Nye the science guy do it.
The more light a color absorbs, the hotter it is. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the color spectrum and how White is all colors, and black is no colors, so it absorbs all colors of light. Lighter colors are also more reflectant than darker colors, which also plays a role in it
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

I raced MX and still off road on mountain bikes often and YES,ive been cought off guard at times wearing black on hot days and it is much hotter,I now always wear lighter colors!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,017 Times in 407 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:

vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote