Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #21
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach
 
HburgXL06's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: HBG reppin til I die!
Posts: 1,475
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

I'm sidin wit Koopa on this one, for Suit to say rap and hip-hop ain't art doesn't give respect to the many who have made good and deep messages through the genre ain't right. I know there are many rappers (yin yang twins for example) that aren't true artists with what they say and act. However, there are different genres within the "rap" genre so there is place for even them sometimes (club music). Listen to some like Common, Tupac, Biggie, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z and the messages and they speak a lot of truth. Three 6 mafia is just one group of many that is finally getting some mainstream recognition for the work they do. I ain't tryin to start nothin, just statin my argument as a man who appreciates rap. I respect Suit for the fact that I've read his arguments on other issues and he knows what he is talkin bout, but I just wanted to argue my case for what I listen to and relate to. Peace.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
not to be an ass but it's kinda all coming together, you hate vince young, you love nascar, and now you hatin on rap. the patterns are there i just hope i'm wrong
The patterns? Oh boy...

I also hate Country music, so you can scrap the stupid redneck reference. Why do I hate rap AND country? Because I'm a white kid who grew up in the suburbs. I don't know anything about the ghetto or having "a good day because I didn't need to use my AK", nor can I relate to driving a pick-up truck, living in a trailer park, or farming. Nobody in my family ever went to jail.

When I wanted to rebel, I listened to punk and hardcore music, but at least the guys played instruments, wrote songs and sang. I've also been in a few bands, and played the drums and sang, which were the two easiest of the jobs in the band, but still takes more talent than most rappers have.

I also don't hate Vince Young...in fact, I think he's a superior athlete. I just hate him as an NFL QB...Hell, even that's not true. He can play QB in the NFL for any team, as long as it's not the Steelers. No more Kordell clones, thank you.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,113
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,469
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
When I wanted to rebel, I listened to punk and hardcore music, but at least the guys played instruments, wrote songs and sang. I've also been in a few bands, and played the drums and sang, which were the two easiest of the jobs in the band, but still takes more talent than most rappers have.

.
as a white kid who grew up in the middle of a cow town that had no suburbs i must say i relate to the punk/ thrash/ hip hop/ rap, more than country western. since my favorites include misfits/danzig and wu tang clan/method man/ rza i will say that the funny thing about "art" is that its subjective and its beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. i also include jethro tull as one of my all time favorites.

plenty of people said that van gogh and picasso werent true artists. hundereds of art museums would beg to differ.

while there is bubble gum rap you would be hard pressed to find a better or more talented lyrical writer or poet than nas. as for having an ear for producing music the likes of rza or dj premier are hard to match. listen to how the music in kill bill fits the mood of the movie. that takes true artistic talent.

some would say that frank frazetta or boris valejo arent true artists cause they do comic books and fantasy themes yet their studies and accuracy of the human form rival that of michaelangelo or leonardo. unlike alot of well known masters they are well known long before they died.

there is crap in every form of art but if you filter through and find those who are trully dedicated and skilled you will find true talent. whether or not you appreciate the specific form of art doesnt mean talent is lacking.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #24
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

I'm too old to change. I hear some country from time to time, and it sounds more and more like top 40 (which I also abhor), and I hear rap all the time...in fact, I'm nearly inundated with it. I wonder why that is?

I can appreciate a good lyric when I hear it, but, again, being a suburban kid, what appeals to me more? I'll issue a challenge. Find me a rapper who can match these couple lyric's (Neal Peart, Rush), and I'll reconsider.



"Losing It"

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door...

The writer stares with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined
And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...


"Freewill"

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance

A planet of play things
We dance on the strings
Of powers we cannot perceive
'The stars aren't aligned
Or the gods are malign...'
Blame is better to give than receive

[Chorus:]
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill

There are those who think
That they were dealt a losing hand
The cards were stacked against them
They weren't born in Lotusland

All preordained
A prisoner in chains
A victim of venomous fate
Kicked in the face
You can't pray for a place
In heaven's unearthly estate

[Chorus]

Each of us
A cell of awareness
Imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends
With uncertain ends
On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,113
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,469
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

this song is written in the form of a letter to one of his homies doin bids (locked up in prison) it does help to understand the slang and have it put to the music and sung in verse so the rhyming skills can trully be appreciated. btw rush is damn good.

"one love" by nas

Verse One:
its not funney
what up kid? i know shit is rough doing your bid
when the cops came you shoulda slid to my crib
but **** it black, no time for looking back it's done
plus congratulations you know you got a son
i heard he looks like you, why don't your lady write you?
told her she should visit, that's when she got hyper
flippin, talk about he acts too rough
he didn't listen he be riffin' while i'm telling him stuff
i was like yeah, shorty don't care, she a snake too
****ing with the niggaz from that fake crew that hate you
but yo, guess who got shot in the dome-piece?
jeromes niece, on her way home from jones beach, its bugged
plus little rob is selling drugs all the time
hanging out with young thugs that all carry 9's
and night time is more trife than ever
Whattup with Cormega, did you see 'em, are y'all together?
if so then hold the fort down, represent to the fullest
say whassup to herb, ice and bullet
I left a half a hundred in your commisary
You was my nigga when push came to shove
One what? one love

Verse Two:

dear born, you'll be out soon, stay strong
out in new york the same shit is going on
the crack-heads stalking, loud-mouths is talking
hold, check out the story yesterday when i was walking
the nigga you shot last year tried to appear like he hurtin something
word to mother, i heard him fronting
and he be pumping on your block
your man gave him your glock
and now they run together, what up son, whatever
since i'm on the streets i'm a put it to a cease
i heard you blew a nigga with he ask for the phone piece,
whylin' on the island, but now in Elmira
better chill 'cos them niggaz will put that ass on fire
last time you wrote you said they tried you in the showers
but maintain when you come home the corner's ours
on the reals, all these crab niggaz know the deal
when we start the revolution all they probably do is squeal
but chill, see you on the next v i
i gave your mom dukes loot for kicks
plus sent ya flicks
your brother's buck whylin' and four maine he wrote me
he might beat his case, 'til he come home i play it low key
so stay civilised, time flies
though incarcerated your mind [dies]
i hate it when your moms cries
it kinda wants to make me murder, for real-a
i've even got a mask and gloves to bust slugs
for one love

Verse Three:

sometimes i sit back with a budda sack
mind's in another world thinking how can we exist through the facts
written in school text books, bibles, etcetera
**** a school lecture, the lies get me vexed-a
so i be ghost from my projects
i take my pen and pad for the week and hittin' L's while i'm sleep'
on a two day stay, you may say i need the time alone
to relax my dome, no phone, left the 9 at home
you see the streets have me stressed something terrible
****ing with the corners have a nigga up in belle vue
or h.d.m., hit with numbers from 8 to 10
a future in a maximum state pen is grim
so i comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop
i roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops
he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce
he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak
i sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks
i took the L when he passed it, this little bastard
keeps me blasted he starts talking mad shit
i had to school him, told him don't let niggaz fool him
'cos when the pistol blows a shot the one that's murdered be the cool one
tough luck when niggaz are struck, families ****ed up
could've caught your man, but didn't look when you bucked up
mistakes happen, so take heed never bust up
in a crowd catch him solo, make the right man bleed
shorty's laugh was cold blooded as he spoke so foul
only twelve trying to tell me that he liked my style
then i rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes
then froze only the blow the herb smoke through my nose
and told my little man that i'm a go cyprose
there's some jewels in the skull that he can sell if he chose
words of wisdom from nas try to rise up above
keep an eye out for jake shorty wop
one love
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #26
3 to be 4
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: a delightful Kansas City Suburb
Posts: 2,642
Gender: Male
Member Number: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
this song is written in the form of a letter to one of his homies doin bids (locked up in prison) it does help to understand the slang and have it put to the music and sung in verse so the rhyming skills can trully be appreciated. btw rush is damn good.

"one love" by nas

Verse One:
its not funney
what up kid? i know shit is rough doing your bid
when the cops came you shoulda slid to my crib
but **** it black, no time for looking back it's done
plus congratulations you know you got a son
i heard he looks like you, why don't your lady write you?
told her she should visit, that's when she got hyper
flippin, talk about he acts too rough
he didn't listen he be riffin' while i'm telling him stuff
i was like yeah, shorty don't care, she a snake too
****ing with the niggaz from that fake crew that hate you
but yo, guess who got shot in the dome-piece?
jeromes niece, on her way home from jones beach, its bugged
plus little rob is selling drugs all the time
hanging out with young thugs that all carry 9's
and night time is more trife than ever
Whattup with Cormega, did you see 'em, are y'all together?
if so then hold the fort down, represent to the fullest
say whassup to herb, ice and bullet
I left a half a hundred in your commisary
You was my nigga when push came to shove
One what? one love

Verse Two:

dear born, you'll be out soon, stay strong
out in new york the same shit is going on
the crack-heads stalking, loud-mouths is talking
hold, check out the story yesterday when i was walking
the nigga you shot last year tried to appear like he hurtin something
word to mother, i heard him fronting
and he be pumping on your block
your man gave him your glock
and now they run together, what up son, whatever
since i'm on the streets i'm a put it to a cease
i heard you blew a nigga with he ask for the phone piece,
whylin' on the island, but now in Elmira
better chill 'cos them niggaz will put that ass on fire
last time you wrote you said they tried you in the showers
but maintain when you come home the corner's ours
on the reals, all these crab niggaz know the deal
when we start the revolution all they probably do is squeal
but chill, see you on the next v i
i gave your mom dukes loot for kicks
plus sent ya flicks
your brother's buck whylin' and four maine he wrote me
he might beat his case, 'til he come home i play it low key
so stay civilised, time flies
though incarcerated your mind [dies]
i hate it when your moms cries
it kinda wants to make me murder, for real-a
i've even got a mask and gloves to bust slugs
for one love

Verse Three:

sometimes i sit back with a budda sack
mind's in another world thinking how can we exist through the facts
written in school text books, bibles, etcetera
**** a school lecture, the lies get me vexed-a
so i be ghost from my projects
i take my pen and pad for the week and hittin' L's while i'm sleep'
on a two day stay, you may say i need the time alone
to relax my dome, no phone, left the 9 at home
you see the streets have me stressed something terrible
****ing with the corners have a nigga up in belle vue
or h.d.m., hit with numbers from 8 to 10
a future in a maximum state pen is grim
so i comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop
i roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops
he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce
he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak
i sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks
i took the L when he passed it, this little bastard
keeps me blasted he starts talking mad shit
i had to school him, told him don't let niggaz fool him
'cos when the pistol blows a shot the one that's murdered be the cool one
tough luck when niggaz are struck, families ****ed up
could've caught your man, but didn't look when you bucked up
mistakes happen, so take heed never bust up
in a crowd catch him solo, make the right man bleed
shorty's laugh was cold blooded as he spoke so foul
only twelve trying to tell me that he liked my style
then i rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes
then froze only the blow the herb smoke through my nose
and told my little man that i'm a go cyprose
there's some jewels in the skull that he can sell if he chose
words of wisdom from nas try to rise up above
keep an eye out for jake shorty wop
one love

Um, i think i speak for a whole lot of people when I say:

WHAT?????
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #27
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach
 
HburgXL06's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: HBG reppin til I die!
Posts: 1,475
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
Um, i think i speak for a whole lot of people when I say:

WHAT?????
You're kidding me. You don't get it at all? What is there not to get? I listened to the song again while reading the lyrics tony posted and they are pretty exact. What do you need explained?

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #28
3 to be 4
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: a delightful Kansas City Suburb
Posts: 2,642
Gender: Male
Member Number: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
You're kidding me. You don't get it at all? What is there not to get? I listened to the song again while reading the lyrics tony posted and they are pretty exact. What do you need explained?

BuFu

so i comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop
i roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops
he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce
he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak
i sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks


i know im an old fart... But I have NO idea what in tarnation any of that means.

But, hey, you say tomato, i say tom-ah-toe
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #29
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach
 
HburgXL06's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: HBG reppin til I die!
Posts: 1,475
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
so i comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop
i roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops
he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce
he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak
i sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks


i know im an old fart... But I have NO idea what in tarnation any of that means.

But, hey, you say tomato, i say tom-ah-toe
I'll break it down to you. He's talking about being alone on the block without his boy for one. Here's the break down line by line. If anyone thinks I am wrong or I forgot something let me know.

"So I comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop" (In the context before this line in the song NAS is talking about walking around his hood by himself without protection and how what he sees and who he sees is enough to drive him insane or to get him caught and sent to prison. So he returns home. "nobody's helping shorty doowop" mean's no one is helping him do his thing in the daily grind.)

"I roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops" (He takes two phillies blunt cigars to smoke weed and in prison there are called "oops" cigars but he rhythmically extends the word to go better with the lyrics)

"he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce"
(He's talkin either back in the day with his boy or with another person while smoking a blunt and how people who don't like them (rival gangs/drugs/etc.) could shoot them from a nearby rooftop. They must be smoking outside. So NAS wears a bulletproof vest and carries a gun with him to protect himself.)



"he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak"
(The other man takes a hit of the blunt so long and hard that he shuts his eyes to help him hold in the smoke. NAS changes persons now to refer to himself which makes you wonder if maybe he is just looking at himself in the mirror literally or figuratively with his actions. Either way as he opens his eyes he coughs from all the smoke he had inhaled when he looked to watch himself speak.)

"I sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks"
(He relaxes and leans back in the seat comparitively as he does with his gun. He talks about wearing black as camoflauge in his hood at night so he cannot be seen. They are relaxing smoking and talking on benches that his boy at one time probably sold drugs from.)

I may be wrong in some of what I interpret or may be off on the terms and if I am I apologize and am open to corrections. The lyrics that you referred to seem to be a memory of when NAS and his boy used to chill out on the benches smoking weed together and how now his best friend is gone. The whole song refers to how rough and hard it is in the ghetto where he is from and how things change but stay the same. It is all put together in a poetic style that takes interpretation and understanding of the artist's verbiage to completely comprehend and appreciate. It may seem in poor taste to refer to guns, drugs, prison, prison rape, etc. as a form of art but the authors are only trying to get the word out of what is it like. What has happened and what they do and have done and what goes on where they are from. I hope this helped. If not.....oh well. So you know I'm from right outside the city limits in my city (Harrisburg, PA) so I'm not attempting to acknowledge that I know everything about or goes on in the ghetto. I do have friends back home from there and have grown up listening to rap and hip-hop so for me to listen to the same verse that you don't understand for me just makes perfect sense in what he is saying. Peace.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:47 AM   #30
3 to be 4
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: a delightful Kansas City Suburb
Posts: 2,642
Gender: Male
Member Number: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

ok, thanks. Very impressive. Its obviously all right there.

for me, it comes down to one thing and its just my personal understanding and preference and frame of reference of sensibility and all that:

I DONT &*^$%*(%$ GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE $^**(^$R IS EVERYBODY SAYING!!!!!!
WHY CANT THEY SPEAK ENGLISH FOR &**%% SAKES??????????? IT SOUNDS LIKE GIBBERISH TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


there. but its ok if everybody else likes. except for the cop killing, and girls as Ho's and bitches, the the swearing, and the violence and intmidation and stuff. Buts its ok if everybody else likes it. I like Switchfoot or Casting Crowns myself, but...........
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts