Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Stink Bugs

Most people who live in pittsburgh know these jerkwads :P
I hate them... I have Entomophobia, I'm scared of all bugs, but these guys are the worst because they stink if you kill them, plus blood and guts end up everywhere, you can't put them outside, because they come right back in. None of my cats will eat them. They crawl around all slow and on everything. If you leave your hand still, they will crawl on it. I'm afraid to wake up and have a bunch crawling on my body for heat.

lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Stink Bugs

We have tons of them here too...I can deal with moths, spiders and mosquitos...but stinkbugs are just a pain in the ass.

Here's some tips on how to prevent infestations and deal with occurring infestations.

For insecticides that are good against stink bugs, I've found Talstar Pro works fairly well. You have to make sure to spray regularly though, because sunlight weakens it. http://shop.asktheexterminator.com/talstar-pro.html

Other tips:

-During the summer months, make an effort to seal up all cracks around the outside of your house to keep the stink bugs out. Any weep holes should be plugged using wire mesh. Foundation or attic vents should be equipped with tight-fitting screens to keep insects out. At the same time, you should make an effort to seal up the inside of your house as well. As long as it's done in the summer, sealing up the outside of your home is going to be the best way to keep stink bugs out of your house.

-Large concentrations of stink bugs in basements and attics should be removed with a vacuum cleaner, like a shop vac or something you can clean. The stink bugs will make it stinky, so you may not want to use your household vacuum cleaner. Also, make sure to dump the contents of your vacuum immediately into a bag that can be tied shut. And get rid of it immediately.

-Consider installing light traps in basements, attics and crawl spaces to attract and capture stink bugs. Since stink bugs are attracted to light, these devices can catch most of the insects before they have the opportunity to enter living spaces. Empty the light traps daily. And move them to a new spot once they seem to stop working; it just means the bugs have moved. (I want to get at least 2 or three of these)

-Discreetly placed sticky traps can capture some stink bugs. The best place for these sticky traps will be in windowsills, as stink bugs are attracted to the light. If no stink bugs appear to be in that location, move the trap to a different spot. These traps will also help you to find and monitor the primary hideouts of the stink bugs.

If it's really bad already, you might have to call an exterminator to get rid of them before taking these steps...hopefully it doesn't get that bad though.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
A Mans Part
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16858

I've heard that making a soapy water mix, putting it in a windex bottle, and squirting the ****ers. Something about dehydrating/clogging their pores and they die. Science.

Apparently they're too busy dehydrating to release the stink too.

Might be an urban myth though.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mans Part View Post
I've heard that making a soapy water mix, putting it in a windex bottle, and squirting the ****ers. Something about dehydrating/clogging their pores and they die. Science.

Apparently they're too busy dehydrating to release the stink too.

Might be an urban myth though.
Heard that doesn't work. Plus I'm against killing bugs... I hate them, but I refuse to kill them because of my personal beliefs. So its worse for me. Like if my cats ate them, I wouldn't care, circle of life.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
A Mans Part
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16858

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Heard that doesn't work. Plus I'm against killing bugs... I hate them, but I refuse to kill them because of my personal beliefs. So its worse for me. Like if my cats ate them, I wouldn't care, circle of life.
heh heh, ironic given your nickname.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mans Part View Post
heh heh, ironic given your nickname.
Elephants are scared of mice, I rest my case.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote:
Elephants are scared of mice, I rest my case.
cartoons are not a good source of education.....

Quote:
The urban legend about the largest animals on land (eg. elephants) being afraid of one of the smallest (mice) has been perpetuated in cartoons, as well as popular animated films, such as Disney's 'Dumbo'. It's not clear where the idea came from, but many people have theorized that elephants might be afraid of mice because they fear that the tiny creatures will crawl inside their trunks, irritating or blocking them. Elephants in captivity have been exposed to mice because they are frequently found in and around the elephants' feed (hay). Many caretakers have observed mice crawling on the trunks and faces of (awake) elephants and observed that the elephants take absolutely no notice of the mice, much less express fear or anxiety in their presence. Based on observations of interactions between elephants and mice, and the apparent peaceful coexistence, it's unclear where the myth may have originated.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
cartoons are not a good source of education.....
Mythbusters... I rest my case again ... And 100 years of studying elephants. Its a proven fact they are scared of mice. Okay not just mice, but they notice small animals on the ground and actually move back and take a much longer route around the animal. If you move a rock or anything in front of them, they actually know its not an animal, smart elephants are yes.

Picture is just a one of a kind. Humans are afraid of death, but about a million of them commit suicide every year... and succeed anyways, I think like 5 million commit it, just they get saved :P
Old 09-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,477 Times in 2,387 Posts

Quote:
Most people who live in pittsburgh know these jerkwads :P
I hate them... I have Entomophobia, I'm scared of all bugs, but these guys are the worst because they stink if you kill them, plus blood and guts end up everywhere, you can't put them outside, because they come right back in. None of my cats will eat them. They crawl around all slow and on everything. If you leave your hand still, they will crawl on it. I'm afraid to wake up and have a bunch crawling on my body for heat.

You call that little thing a stink bug.

This is a stink bug and they spray.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #10
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I don't get any funky insects inside my house just an occasional spider.

And as soon as I see them, they are instantly just a second or two away from being smeared remnants of what they were.

I respect your stance on not killing them Lion, but I'm so not ever going to be there. Yet I do apologize to those creepy ass F'ers afterwards.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote