Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Brown unleashes big-play potential

Brown unleashes big-play potential
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_701222.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 25, 2010

From one young wide receiver to another, Mike Wallace expects big things from rookie Antonio Brown.

The first time he touched the ball in an NFL regular-season game, Brown scored on a 89-yard kickoff return in the Steelers' 19-11 win over Tennessee. During the preseason, Brown caught a 68-yard touchdown pass and displayed explosive moves as a punt returner.

Wallace believes Brown is ready to make an impact as a playmaking receiver.

"I told him to seize the moment. When they put you in, don't let them take you out," Wallace said. "That's the approach I took. I was like, 'Once I get in, I ain't coming out.' "

Wallace, a third-round draft pick from Mississippi, dazzled with his blazing speed and started five games in 2009. He finished with 39 receptions and tied for the team lead with six touchdown catches. His 19.4-yard average led the league.

Wallace attempted to compare his first season in the league with that of Brown, a sixth-round pick from Central Michigan who also has blazing speed and a knack for finding holes in the defense.

"He's waiting his turn. I truly believe as soon as he gets in, I don't think he's coming out," Wallace said about Brown, who may see action at wide receiver Sunday against Tampa Bay along with his return duties. "He goes hard at practice every day. He runs everything full speed. He has a lot of talent and a real high ceiling."

A late-round pick, Brown entered the league with a chip on his shoulder. He thought he should have been drafted higher, and he took great satisfaction in scoring a touchdown on the opening kickoff against the Titans, whom he met with prior to the draft.

"We knew we were going to sell (the kickoff return) the right way and get me on the edge. The team doesn't know who I am, they've never seen me. That was a great call by the coach and great blocks by the guys," Brown said. "That's what drives me. That's what keeps me hungry. That's why guys respect me, because they know I started at the bottom."

Wallace said Brown's teammates respect his willingness to accept coaching, even from teammates.

"He takes it all in. That's the main thing, you've got to be willing to learn and know that you don't know everything," Wallace said. "He's real humble and he's grounded."

And a willing pupil. Brown is still learning the nuances of the offense and how he fits in as a receiver. He knows it takes more than being fast and elusive to get on the field.

Being patient helps.

"You've got to have patience," Brown said. "The first week, I don't dress. I come back the next week, the first time I touch the ball I go the distance.

"I've been preparing, running my routes, getting extra catches, learning my plays, studying with Mike (Wallace), going over the protections," Brown said. "I think I'm ready, but the coach is taking it slow. He's got a common-sense approach. I'm waiting on coach. I'm going to keep working, and the rest will take care of itself."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Brown unleashes big-play potential

What makes me the saddest is, Ben doesn't have a "Big" enough arm to hit either Brown or Wallace in stride for that homerun ball. Too many come-backer-quackers.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
btaylor
Water Boy

Member Number: 16829
Default Re: Brown unleashes big-play potential

i totally agree about the comebackers
btaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

Yeah, Ben is more of a touch passer. Byron is more of a deep thrower. Too bad we can't combine them. Very few QB's combine both attributes through. Maybe Peyton Manning and a few others, but not many more.

Anyway, Brown is just a playmaker. I want the ball in this guys hands. Coaches gotta find a way.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone's Toes View Post
Yeah, Ben is more of a touch passer. Byron is more of a deep thrower. Too bad we can't combine them. Very few QB's combine both attributes through. Maybe Peyton Manning and a few others, but not many more.

Anyway, Brown is just a playmaker. I want the ball in this guys hands. Coaches gotta find a way.
I will take Ben's style over Bryon's anyday.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I was so happy when they kept Brown and got rid of the one trick pony Stephan Logan. There is no way Logan comes anywhere close to the speed of Brown or Sanders. I am excited that we have three WRs who have the speed that Wallace, Brown and Sanders have. You cannot teach speed. If they can all learn to run their routes correctly, there will be no stopping this team because other teams have to respect their speed and double team them or a double move will come that will blow their doors off.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I was so happy when they kept Brown and got rid of the one trick pony Stephan Logan. There is no way Logan comes anywhere close to the speed of Brown or Sanders. I am excited that we have three WRs who have the speed that Wallace, Brown and Sanders have. You cannot teach speed. If they can all learn to run their routes correctly, there will be no stopping this team because other teams have to respect their speed and double team them or a double move will come that will blow their doors off.
Better have a one trick pony back there than the no-trick pony Randle El.

And to all of you saying Ben doesn't have a big enough arm...please. Ben is very capable of throwing the long ball and has done it many times. Do me a favor, go outside, run sideways, and try to throw the ball as far as you can. It doesn't really work out too well.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I think once the coaching staff trusts Brown enough, el will no longer be returning punts. Joshua Cribbs returns kickoffs and punts. No reason Brown shouldn't be doing the same. Moore is pretty pathetic in that role as well.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHaullace View Post
What makes me the saddest is, Ben doesn't have a "Big" enough arm to hit either Brown or Wallace in stride for that homerun ball. Too many come-backer-quackers.
I think Ben's arm is not the problem, he just needs to release it a half a sec sooner.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

It would be nice to see Brown and Sanders pan out for this team, along with Sweed.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote