Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992
Default Re: Survival test

i got 10 of 17, but nailed the tornado questions, which is good since im moving to Kansas City.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #12
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

I guess hopping onto the sharks back was not the correct answer! Damn!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,652 Times in 2,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
If you'd have read Dune, you'd know the axiom: The best place to store water is in your body.
good point. i shouldve known that. i read the 1st 3 dune books and totally fogot about that.

while you all up north know about wind chill, we know about the heat index which is how many minutes it takes average skin to get sunburned. around here its about 20 minutes. as soon as you are thirsty outside you are already suffering the 1st signs of heat stroke. ive had skin cancer since i was 10 yrs old probably. if you call them freckles i doesnt hurt as bad. good thing baby oil is no longer recommended for getting a good tan. i used to wear that stuff like it was sunblock. little did we know back then. then again you used to be able to smoke in the hospitals and airplanes when i was a kid. my mom had a smoking room in the maternity ward of the hospital i was born in. then again women used to use lysol to dousch. how times have changed. :)

Last edited by tony hipchest; 03-07-2006 at 11:43 PM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #14
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

I got 13. Maimed as well. Its a shame that people caught in those situations don't get the benefit of multiple choice options.

I now know that I should not play dead for sharks. Like I could pull that off.

Last summer I was up in Alaska. You get a lot of crash course material on dealing with bears and what to do with a Brown/Grizzly bear vs. a black bear. When we were at Denali, the rangers kept telling this story about a recent bear encounter. This guy was hiking in the back country and stumbled in the path of a Grizzly So in that situation, you are supposed to stand your ground and make yourself look big (but don't look them in the eye). Then if they charge you are supposed to keep standing there Most of the time they will stop if you don't run. If they do get close to you, then you jsut curl up into a ball, cover your carotid arteries with your hands, and hope the bear gets bored with you after knockign you around a bit.

Well, the bear in this situation apparentyl started walking at this guy. When the bear got about 70 feet away, the man when into fetal position mode. The bear wandered up to him and then sat on him like he was a stool for a minute or so. Then the bear stood up, and in the process dragged a paw across the dude's shoulder and cut with his claws. And the bear just wandered off.

When the rangers told this story, they were all incredulous that the guy played dead when he did. They kept laughing about how he played dead way to early. My wife and I felt like we understood how a guy could pull the trigger on the fetal position a little early when a big grizzly is coming at you and you think you are about to be eaten alive.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:23 AM   #15
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

I got 14 out of 17 guess my Marine Corps training came in handy. I can not believe that I still remember these skills. Anyway thanks for the threads it was fun.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Living in Pittsburgh, I don't expect to be attacked by a Shark or caught up in a tornado or stranded in a desert. I'm not around dogs. The only questions I have to worry about are the airplane questions and I did well on those. Oh well.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #17
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Living in Pittsburgh, I don't expect to be attacked by a Shark or caught up in a tornado or stranded in a desert. I'm not around dogs. The only questions I have to worry about are the airplane questions and I did well on those. Oh well.
are you telling me there are no sharks in the Monongahela , Allegheny and Ohio rivers
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 AM   #18
radaz52
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 130

I got a 10 out of 17....I sucked at the dog questions, but rocked booty on the tornado ones!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Steeler
are you telling me there are no sharks in the Monongahela , Allegheny and Ohio rivers
Surprisingly, people have caught pirahna, but no sharks.....yet.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #20
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Hey, Hawk, when I roughed it in the lake country in Northern Minnesota for a week, the park rangers we spoke to told us about 2 little old ladies who camp there all summer long, and how they "combated" bears. Guy said they carried big bells, and when ever a bear crossed their paths, they start clanging them really hard. Because the sound is so unnatural and foreign to the bears, they get skeered and take off...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote