Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Hoke injury will likely force Steelers hand on Dixon.

The news was not all good Sunday for the Steelers despite the 38-13 beating they gave the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. Veteran nose tackle Chris Hoke sprained his knee toward the end of the game, coach Mike Tomlin said. Hoke, who started last week against the Tennessee Titans and played extensively yesterday in place of Casey Hampton, is likely out for Sunday's game against the visiting Baltimore Ravens. If Hoke doesn't play, the Steelers may have to sign defensive tackle Steve McLendon from their practice squad to add depth.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_701461.html

I think Hoke's injury will force the Steelers hand on Dixon, I expect he'll either be put on IR or released by Friday. I suppose there's an outside chance he could get traded, but for who, for what? I really don't think there's any market for him. that's not to say DD wont get another chance in the NFL, but no one is going to give any value for him.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Hoke injury will likely force Steelers hand on Dixon.

that sucks.. Hoke is a great backup and could probably be starting on some teams. McLendon actually played well from what I saw at Tennessee. i didn't even realize he was on the roster before that game, but i noticed him a few times.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
that sucks.. Hoke is a great backup and could probably be starting on some teams. McLendon actually played well from what I saw at Tennessee. i didn't even realize he was on the roster before that game, but i noticed him a few times.
I agree Hoke could be starting on some teams. It's no biggie though. he should be back after the bye.

The Dixon question looms large. I think 3 good fits for him are Buffalo, Washington and Carolina. Another team that would not be a great fit but which is desperate is Oakland.

I just don't want him to end up on Cleveland. The Jets could even release Kellen Clemans and pick him up.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Correct me if I am wrong but, if Mclendon does comeback to the roster, don't they have to keep him on the 53 man roster the rest of the season ? Cause I don't think they are allowed to place him on the Practice squad twice in the same season.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but, if Mclendon does comeback to the roster, don't they have to keep him on the 53 man roster the rest of the season ? Cause I don't think they are allowed to place him on the Practice squad twice in the same season.
Not sure? But i do know they have to create a roster spot if they want him to play and suit up against the Ravens. ( which they will) Of course one thing I didn't consider when I made this thread, that there is another player they could possibly release over Dixon, that being Tony Hills who was again deactivated for the Bucs game.

So I'd amend my opinion to say it's about 60% they'll release Hill's, 30 % they put dixon on IR, and 10% they outright release Dixon.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
whatdoiknow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Not sure? But i do know they have to create a roster spot if they want him to play and suit up against the Ravens. ( which they will) Of course one thing I didn't consider when I made this thread, that there is another player they could possibly release over Dixon, that being Tony Hills who was again deactivated for the Bucs game.

So I'd amend my opinion to say it's about 60% they'll release Hill's, 30 % they put dixon on IR, and 10% they outright release Dixon.

From everything I have heard, Tony Hills has looked great. I doubt they would cut Hills when he is finally 100 % healthy. And not without seeing what he can turn into.
How about releasing WR Battle ? If anything it would allow the Steelers to activate BOTH Antonio Brown AND E.Sanders
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

There is no way they are going to release Dixon. It will be one of those ST players if it is anyone. Or perhaps the guy from Buffalo whose name I can't remember right now. But Dixon goes nowhere. He is the only young backup QB on the team. That would leave the Steelers with long in the tooth Batch or Leftoversandwich. I don't know enough about Hills to be able to comment if he might be the one.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
whatdoiknow
Banned

Jonathan Scott is whom you are talking about.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
There is no way they are going to release Dixon. It will be one of those ST players if it is anyone. Or perhaps the guy from Buffalo whose name I can't remember right now. But Dixon goes nowhere. He is the only young backup QB on the team. That would leave the Steelers with long in the tooth Batch or Leftoversandwich. I don't know enough about Hills to be able to comment if he might be the one.
Regardless dixon wont be a Steeler opening day 2011. He's not an NFL qb.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

I just have this feeling that the Steeler's coaching staff think he has potential. Not every young QB comes out and wins like Ben did right off the bat. That happens once in a blue moon. I could see him getting put on IR to protect him before I would ever see him being released or traded. Lefty is not a long term answer at backup and Charlie Batch sure isn't. If they release Dixon they are going to have to draft a QB in next year's draft. Ben has been prone to concussions and may not be here as many years as we would hope he will be.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote