Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Post Wk 3 Steelers Fever Power Rankings

Post your updated Power rankings in this thread (if you want).

Here's mine:

1. Pittsburgh - When Ben comes back this team could really be something special. They may have the offense to match their superior D. (up 1 spot)
2. Green Bay -Even though they lost, they really beat themselves. If they can learn not to choke, they can be the real deal. (up 2 spots)
3. New Orleans-even though they lost, they should find a new kicker soon. They are formidable but not dominant. (no change)
4.New England - they had more trouble with the Bills than they should have had. Last I checked though, they still have bellicheck, Brady, moss and Welker. (down 3 spots).
5. NY Jets -They are showing they could be the real deal when Santonio comes back. They did it without Revis too. (up one spot)
6. Indianapolis -Manning will throw to whoever he has. They did not get worse but the Jets play moved them down a spot. (down 1 spot)
7. Chargers -Even though they lost, they go up a spot because of the terrible play of teams around them. They have potential but need to finish. (up one spot)
8. Atlanta - Nice job taking care of the SB champs (up 3 spots)
9. Baltimore - Cleveland gave them more trouble than they should have. The Benless Steelers will be a good test this week (down 1 spot).
10. Minesota - Even with a win, they are still showing they are rusty. It will be tough for them to win it all but if they can just make the playoffs and get Sidney Rice back, they could be dangerous come playoff time. Tey have a tough 4 game stretch after the bye. They better hope Rice come back for week 7.(no change)
11. Philidelphia - Vick has played well but some of those passes are in tight windows that might result in INTs against better teams. Can he keep up this precision? I don't think so. (up one spot)
12. Cowboys -They finally get a win after two close loses. If they can find a way to make the playoffs, they have a chance to get to the Superbowl. (up 2 spots)
13. Houston -too inconsistent. Even in the win against Washington, they looked poorly at times. Getting shut down by Dallas is not impressive. (down 6 spots)
14. Chicago- Even tough they won and are undefeated, Cutler is a liability right now. They are a work in progress and have an easy next 4 games so they may be 7-0 but they have the look of a one and done playoff team...if they can make it. If they can learn to gel as an offense, they have a shot. (up one spot)
15. Cincinnatti -Wow Palmer looks terrible. Their defense can only carry them so far. Their second half schedule is much tougher so they may start out with a good record. If palmer can BECOME sharp, they have a chance. Of note, Batman and Robbin have only 1 combined TD in 3 games. (down 1 spot)

Just Missed
Tennessee -I don't see how they make the playoffs.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Post Wk 3 Steelers Fever Power Rankings

Teams lose and move up, win and move down. 1-2 teams ranked high, 3-0 teams not at all... I'm clearly not terribly bright, because I don't get it.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Teams lose and move up, win and move down. 1-2 teams ranked high, 3-0 teams not at all... I'm clearly not terribly bright, because I don't get it.
Teams who won move down because teams they lost to lost. Like the Colts were shut down by the texans for a good bit of the game they lost to them. And then the Texans were man handled by the 0-2 Cowboys. So on paper, the Colts are worse than the Texans and the Cowboys despite their record.
Thats just one example, I'm sure you can figure the rest out

Also some 3-0 teams haven't prove themselves against good teams yet, so their records could be flawed.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Teams who won move down because teams they lost to lost. Like the Colts were shut down by the texans for a good bit of the game they lost to them. And then the Texans were man handled by the 0-2 Cowboys. So on paper, the Colts are worse than the Texans and the Cowboys despite their record.
Thats just one example, I'm sure you can figure the rest out

Also some 3-0 teams haven't prove themselves against good teams yet, so their records could be flawed.
Exactly. Sometimes it has to do with what the teams around them are doing or even how they looked in the win against a bad team (or a loss to a good team).

The question that governs my power rankings is "Who is most likely to win the Superbowl?".
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

But 3-0 Kansas City beat the Chargers, whom SteelKnight thinks are a good team (#7 in fact)... and yet they are not on his list. The Chargers lost to a highly suspect Seahawks team and moved up a spot.

"Who is most likely to win the Superbowl" entails who is going to make the playoffs, or am I missing something? Right now the Chargers and Cowboys don't look to me like they are going to make it. But SK has a boner for the both of them and so they are on his list.

I guess that's what's bugging me. Just call your list "My Favorite Teams" or something like that. No offense, but despite your best efforts here, this is quite simply not a Power Ranking.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,770 Posts

i thought a weekly power rankings were based on what a team has done to that point . not what you think where they'll be in the future.

Quote:
example
12. Cowboys -They finally get a win after two close loses. If they can find a way to make the playoffs, they have a chance to get to the Superbowl. (up 2 spots)
was the cowboys 1 win against a team thats never done shit in their history really that impressive ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
But 3-0 Kansas City beat the Chargers, whom SteelKnight thinks are a good team (#7 in fact)... and yet they are not on his list. The Chargers lost to a highly suspect Seahawks team and moved up a spot.

"Who is most likely to win the Superbowl" entails who is going to make the playoffs, or am I missing something? Right now the Chargers and Cowboys don't look to me like they are going to make it. But SK has a boner for the both of them and so they are on his list.

I guess that's what's bugging me. Just call your list "My Favorite Teams" or something like that. No offense, but despite your best efforts here, this is quite simply not a Power Ranking.
Looking at the first 3 weeks of this season and see who's beating who and who's losing, a lot of teams are really inconsistant.

Chargers be the Jags who beat Denver who beat Seatle who beat the Chargers. So in essence the Chargers beat themselves

Raiders be St. Louis who beat the Redskins who beat Dallas who beat the Texans who beat the Colts. So the Raiders are better than the Colts.

Power rankings tend to fail when you actually look into all the teams lol. Chargers are a good team, but how they've been playing, they shouldn't be 7.
Cheifs did beat San Fran who almost beat the Saints. But they did almost lose to the Browns. Bearly in the top 15.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Looking at the first 3 weeks of this season and see who's beating who and who's losing, a lot of teams are really inconsistant.

Chargers be the Jags who beat Denver who beat Seatle who beat the Chargers. So in essence the Chargers beat themselves

Raiders be St. Louis who beat the Redskins who beat Dallas who beat the Texans who beat the Colts. So the Raiders are better than the Colts.

Power rankings tend to fail when you actually look into all the teams lol. Chargers are a good team, but how they've been playing, they shouldn't be 7.
Cheifs did beat San Fran who almost beat the Saints. But they did almost lose to the Browns. Bearly in the top 15.
There's a certain amount of that sort of addition and subtraction... unless you win all of your games, then there shouldn't be any subtraction. I can understand not putting a shitty team from last year onto your Top 15 after only three weeks, even if they are 3-0. However, putting a 1-2 team at #7 who lost to the shitty team from last year...? Huh? Two 1-2 teams in the top 10? And yet Tennessee, who spanked their other two opponents are absent. Chicago is undefeated and 12 spots below the team they just beat, the Packers, who moved up two spots by losing.

Look, there's no way to rationalize Power Rankings, period. Way too much speculation. But SteelKnight's lists aren't even speculation. They are based on pure whim, so far as I can tell. I suspect that Minnesota, Dallas and the Chargers could go 1-3 or 1-4 and he'd still put them up there, maybe even move them up five spots. I'm ashamed to be commenting on this, to tell you the truth.

I'm moving on. Sorry to have wasted your time (and mine).
Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
BlackNGold88
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15725

Chiefs not even in the Top 15
BlackNGold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold88 View Post
Chiefs not even in the Top 15
The Chiefs have really surprised me so far, but we will have to wait n see how this strong start goes to their heads. I love the way that defense is playing and their special teams. But their QB is Shaky at best and thats not a good sign in the Very Tough AFC.

My Top 5 Looks like this :

1. New Orleans Saints
Until Someone Knocks them out of the playoffs, they are the team to beat in my opinion.
2. Baltimore Ravens
This team is still very talented and as soon as the coaches figure out they must return to their running game to lead that team, they Should be the team to beat in the AFC.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
The Defense can Win Championships and hopefuly number 7 is on the Horizon for this Beloved Org.
4. Green Bay Packers
If the Running Game Doesnt Step up By Postseason Time, they will Not win NFC.
5. Indianapolis Colts
Manning is always gonna have a great chance of taking that team to the promised land.