Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,249 Times in 523 Posts
Default My week 3 Power Rankings:

Some teams mixing and matching this week as well as teams cracking the top 10 while overlapping and stepping over some teams in the ranking process while some fall out of the top 10 due to poor- mediocre performances in week 3 against bad ball clubs that are up in the air.

StainlessStill's week 3 Power Rankings:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (5): I can't pin-point a better OVERALL team at this point in time. Everyone now knows of the return of the suffocating Steelers defense is instilling fear across the league and everyone is now taking notice. In 3 games, the Steelers D only gave up 2 lousy touchdowns, which both came in garbage time. They finally broke out on offense scoring 38 points with Charlie Batch leading the way and now have a huge divisional test with Baltimore coming into town for an AFC North showdown. Hines Ward said it best: "Noone wants us to be 4-0 with a mad Ben coming back."

2. Indianapolis Colts (4): How good is Peyton Manning? Answer: Damn good. The way he takes over a game is special to watch and watching him play pitch and catch with his supporting cast is a treat as well. The way Manning can manipulate a defense is amazing and if he can keep this up, which he will, then the Colts will be back on their way to another 12 win season and could possibly duke it out with Pittsburgh all season for early home field competition. A legit contender, even with Bob Sanders out of the defensive lineup.

3. NY Jets (6): What a difference a two week swing can make for this offense to show up. Mark Sanchez is proving to the league that he got the good and has matured way past his years dating back from a week ago. If he can limit his mistakes and take care of the football the way he's been doing in recent weeks (0 interceptions) and with Santonio Holmes coming back soon, the Jets will now have the balance they are looking for to go along with that mean defense on the other side of the ball. Winning on the road in Miami signified the arrival of putting their bite where their mouth is in the EAST.

4. New Orleans Saints (1): Tough break for this New Orleans team against a team that is poised to make some noise in their division. Missing a "gimmie" 20 some yard field goal in overtime surely is a letdown, esp in a big divisional matchup. Now New Orleans is down 1 to Atlanta in the division and now has to go to Atlanta down the road to which should set up some NFC South fireworks. 2 weeks in a row they caught the breaks to eek out wins against Minny and San Fran. This was bound to happen to the champs sooner or later but they should rebound fairly quickly. No panic in Nawlins.

5. Philadelphia Eagles (9): Michael Vick is completley shredding defense's this year, and to the horror of his opponents, it's not with his legs. Vick is playing like the Pro-Bowl quarterback he once was but is looking impressively accurate in doing so in going downfield with the football. He made atleast 6-7 throws last week that not many QB's could have made. I'm still holding off and personally not jumping on the Vick bandwagon just yet. He's started against 2 pathetic defense's in Detroit and Jacksonville and will now have a tough test this week with a aggressive defense against Washington, who's should be out to prove something after losing 2 in a row.

6. Green Bay Packers (3): Green Bay and Chicago matchups are always a hard nosed football game, but the Packers committed 17 penalties on Monday Night and 2 straight personal foul penalties back to back on the Bears game winning drive to seal their bad fortune. They played Chicago tough on the road and should have came up with turnovers, but their undisciplined nature cost them in a close divisional game. A bright spot though was Aaron Rodgers pin-point accuracy and that O-line keeping his jersey spotless.

7. Chicago Bears (N/A): The Bears, not the Packers OR Vikings, are the ones sitting atop the NFC North. They have a record of 3-0 and are 2 up in the division early. Jay Cutler had a okay game and got lucky on some Packer penalties, but through the most part, he got through the night and only threw one interception after throwing 6 last year in the season opener.Cutler got some breaks, but it was the Bears defense that allowed Chicago to pull away with the W forcing a late game turnover. The tandem of Urlacher, Peppers, and Briggs is looking mighty good.

8. Atlanta Falcons (N/A): The Falcons now have the early tiebreaker against the Saints, went into the Dome and punched Bree's and the Champions of the South in the mouth. Matt Ryan is starting to get into sync and Tony Gonzalez is still a valuable weapon in the passing game. If Atlanta can hold off the rest of the league for the time being and beat New Orleans at home weeks down the road, then could be poised to be the upset winner in the NFC South. Solid football team.

9. Houston Texans (2): The Texans, sitting at 2-0 coming back home after a thrilling come from behind victory in OT in Washington the week before, seemed to be out of gas against a fired up Dallas Cowboys team looking for their first win of the season. A tough task for any team to come home to but if they would of took it to Dallas to go to 3-0, then Houston could of been well on their way. Now, they must rebound and show the world they can come back and win after being defeated in convincing fashion.

10. Baltimore Ravens (10): Baltimore needed a breakout performance from Joe Flacco and Anquan Boldin to beat the hapless Cleveland Browns by only a 7 point margin at home (Cleveland ALMOST answered my upset call this week.) Baltimore now has to limp into Pittsburgh this week for the game of the week, and they could be without their starting tailback in Ray Rice. Their defense is still playing tough ball, but they can be exploited this week with a revved up Pittsburgh team and the surging legs of Rashard Mendenhall on the radar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the brink:

New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs, Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up for grabs:

Tennessee Titans, Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Turning some heads:

St.Louis Rams, Detroit Lions

Disappointing efforts:

San Diego Chargers, Washington Redskins, San Francisco 49'ers, N.Y Giants

Work in progress:

Jacksonville Jaguars, Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers
Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: My week 3 Power Rankings:

Colts are always the team to beat in the regular season, they haven't had season under 12-4 since 2002.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Colts are always the team to beat in the regular season, they haven't had season under 12-4 since 2002.
Amazing, isn't it? As long as Manning is playing, the Colts could be playing in January year in and year out. Yes, anyone can argue that they peak too early and that Manning has a terrible W-L playoff record, but it is what it is: Peyton Manning is the best QB in this era.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
kiuaswarrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16740

Seems like a good top 10 to me. Good job.
kiuaswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

You have the Jets too high, otherwise it's pretty good.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
bigchuck
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16933

not sure how the steelers are the best overall team when we are 26th in ypg. best defense by far and a very good special teams, def a top 3 team right now but the offense is still very scary to me
bigchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuck View Post
not sure how the steelers are the best overall team when we are 26th in ypg. best defense by far and a very good special teams, def a top 3 team right now but the offense is still very scary to me
I just look at the team landscape and substitute in that we are putting up a controlled time of possession /conservative offense that is limiting its mistakes with pretty much no game-plan to go by with the multiple injuries at not only the QB position, but the offensive line as well.

Arians has nothing to work with, we know this and being down to our last healthy QB on the roster, it's amazing the kind of team effort this offense is mustering up, esp in T.O.P and Mendenhall has really been turning his legs into explosiveness. He rushed for over 100 in week 1 against Atlanta and tore Tampa's defense apart with a performance close to 150 yards. We also have won the time of possession battle with little to work with offesnviley:

T.O.P
-------
Week 1:
Steelers 32:06
Falcons 30:29

Week 2:
Steelers 33:40
Titans 26:20

Week 3:
Steelers 26:54
Buccaneers: 33:06
(Due to quick scoring and a marginal win as well as a defensive TD, Buccaneers handled the possession game to catch up.)

What other team can be down to their last QB, limit the mistakes but yet still be good enough to control the time of possession? Even though the defense is carrying us 90% right now, the offense is doing it's job as well, even if the yardage states that it's ugly.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

I do know this, i dont feel so bad knowing the Falcons gave us a run for the money knowing they gave the Saints a hard time. So i agree Stainless on your #1 as of right now......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Here's mine: (didn't know we could post on Steelers so I had put it on NFL board)

1. Pittsburgh - When Ben comes back this team could really be something special. They may have the offense to match their superior D. (up 1 spot)
2. Green Bay -Even though they lost, they really beat themselves. If they can learn not to choke, they can be the real deal. (up 2 spots)
3. New Orleans-even though they lost, they should find a new kicker soon. They are formidable but not dominant. (no change)
4.New England - they had more trouble with the Bills than they should have had. Last I checked though, they still have bellicheck, Brady, moss and Welker. (down 3 spots).
5. NY Jets -They are showing they could be the real deal when Santonio comes back. They did it without Revis too. (up one spot)
6. Indianapolis -Manning will throw to whoever he has. They did not get worse but the Jets play moved them down a spot. (down 1 spot)
7. Chargers -Even though they lost, they go up a spot because of the terrible play of teams around them. They have potential but need to finish. (up one spot)
8. Atlanta - Nice job taking care of the SB champs (up 3 spots)
9. Baltimore - Cleveland gave them more trouble than they should have. The Benless Steelers will be a good test this week (down 1 spot).
10. Minesota - Even with a win, they are still showing they are rusty. It will be tough for them to win it all but if they can just make the playoffs and get Sidney Rice back, they could be dangerous come playoff time. Tey have a tough 4 game stretch after the bye. They better hope Rice come back for week 7.(no change)
11. Philidelphia - Vick has played well but some of those passes are in tight windows that might result in INTs against better teams. Can he keep up this precision? I don't think so. (up one spot)
12. Cowboys -They finally get a win after two close loses. If they can find a way to make the playoffs, they have a chance to get to the Superbowl. (up 2 spots)
13. Houston -too inconsistent. Even in the win against Washington, they looked poorly at times. Getting shut down by Dallas is not impressive. (down 6 spots)
14. Chicago- Even tough they won and are undefeated, Cutler is a liability right now. They are a work in progress and have an easy next 4 games so they may be 7-0 but they have the look of a one and done playoff team...if they can make it. If they can learn to gel as an offense, they have a shot. (up one spot)
15. Cincinnatti -Wow Palmer looks terrible. Their defense can only carry them so far. Their second half schedule is much tougher so they may start out with a good record. If palmer can BECOME sharp, they have a chance. Of note, Batman and Robbin have only 1 combined TD in 3 games. (down 1 spot)

Just Missed
Tennessee -I don't see how they make the playoffs.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Here's mine: (didn't know we could post on Steelers so I had put it on NFL board)

1. Pittsburgh - When Ben comes back this team could really be something special. They may have the offense to match their superior D. (up 1 spot)
2. Green Bay -Even though they lost, they really beat themselves. If they can learn not to choke, they can be the real deal. (up 2 spots)
3. New Orleans-even though they lost, they should find a new kicker soon. They are formidable but not dominant. (no change)
4.New England - they had more trouble with the Bills than they should have had. Last I checked though, they still have bellicheck, Brady, moss and Welker. (down 3 spots).
5. NY Jets -They are showing they could be the real deal when Santonio comes back. They did it without Revis too. (up one spot)
6. Indianapolis -Manning will throw to whoever he has. They did not get worse but the Jets play moved them down a spot. (down 1 spot)
7. Chargers -Even though they lost, they go up a spot because of the terrible play of teams around them. They have potential but need to finish. (up one spot)
8. Atlanta - Nice job taking care of the SB champs (up 3 spots)
9. Baltimore - Cleveland gave them more trouble than they should have. The Benless Steelers will be a good test this week (down 1 spot).
10. Minesota - Even with a win, they are still showing they are rusty. It will be tough for them to win it all but if they can just make the playoffs and get Sidney Rice back, they could be dangerous come playoff time. Tey have a tough 4 game stretch after the bye. They better hope Rice come back for week 7.(no change)
11. Philidelphia - Vick has played well but some of those passes are in tight windows that might result in INTs against better teams. Can he keep up this precision? I don't think so. (up one spot)
12. Cowboys -They finally get a win after two close loses. If they can find a way to make the playoffs, they have a chance to get to the Superbowl. (up 2 spots)
13. Houston -too inconsistent. Even in the win against Washington, they looked poorly at times. Getting shut down by Dallas is not impressive. (down 6 spots)
14. Chicago- Even tough they won and are undefeated, Cutler is a liability right now. They are a work in progress and have an easy next 4 games so they may be 7-0 but they have the look of a one and done playoff team...if they can make it. If they can learn to gel as an offense, they have a shot. (up one spot)
15. Cincinnatti -Wow Palmer looks terrible. Their defense can only carry them so far. Their second half schedule is much tougher so they may start out with a good record. If palmer can BECOME sharp, they have a chance. Of note, Batman and Robbin have only 1 combined TD in 3 games. (down 1 spot)

Just Missed
Tennessee -I don't see how they make the playoffs.
Little iffy IMHO.

New England WAY, WAY too high, and the Jets below them? The Jets outscored New England 18-0 in the second half in Week 2 without Revis and beat New England at home convincingly. The Jets then went into undefeated Miami and took it to them on the road as well and is 2-0 in the AFC EAST.

New England has a young defense who are completley struggling and found them in a street fight/shootout against Ryan Fitzpatrick and the 0-3 Bills in Foxboro.

I'd also make a case about San Diego being too high, losing to KC in the opener and losing to an inconsistent Seahawks team. San Diego's special teams are absolutley atrocious and they have virtually no run defense. Rivers had the chance to show he's elite with having the ball last against KC & Seattle but failed to put his team in the endzone inside the redzone.

Vikes are ranked too high as well. Teams are starting to get some leverage in the running game and Favre has virtually noone to throw to and the results are showing. Favre has only 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions while only throwing a total of 7 INTS in 16 games in 2009.

Ranked too low: Colts & Eagles, who have very, very solid football teams on all fronts.