Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,910 Times in 730 Posts
Default Can the Steelers beat...

Can the Steelers beat the Patriots, Colts and Packers in their current state? They've been ranked #1 by many analysts.

Quote:
Analysis: I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I've remained a couple of steps behind ESPN.com's panel on the Steelers' vote. I really like this team's toughness and character, and once Roethlisberger returns Oct. 17, the Steelers will be a complete team. But I don't agree that Pittsburgh, right now, is the best team in the NFL. I voted Pittsburgh No. 4 behind the Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers. I don't believe Pittsburgh can beat all of those clubs right now without Roethlisberger. But apparently I'm on my own Power Rankings island with that one. ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton and AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky both voted the Steelers as the NFL's best team, while NFC West blogger Mike Sando voted Pittsburgh No. 2.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ngs-analysis-4
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
billym99
Water Boy

Member Number: 11477
Default Re: Can the Steelers beat...

The only team I would question the Steelers against right now is the Packers... I think we could run all over the other two, not to mention beat them up on the defensive side of the ball. If Buffalo can put up 30 on the Pats a broken Steelers offense can do the same, and Brady and Co. are not putting 38 up on this D. The Colts go lit up by Houston, plain and simple. And I'm not putting much stock in either of their wins... Giants are a train wreck in the making and Denver, well I just don't think much of Denver and Josh McDaniels.

The Pack would be interesting... if the Steelers were playing them last night they would have won just as the Bears did since the Packers really beat themselves on countless penalties. Aaron Rodgers and their offense look very sharp.
billym99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by billym99 View Post
The only team I would question the Steelers against right now is the Packers... I think we could run all over the other two, not to mention beat them up on the defensive side of the ball. If Buffalo can put up 30 on the Pats a broken Steelers offense can do the same, and Brady and Co. are not putting 38 up on this D. The Colts go lit up by Houston, plain and simple. And I'm not putting much stock in either of their wins... Giants are a train wreck in the making and Denver, well I just don't think much of Denver and Josh McDaniels.

The Pack would be interesting... if the Steelers were playing them last night they would have won just as the Bears did since the Packers really beat themselves on countless penalties. Aaron Rodgers and their offense look very sharp.
I dont think the Pack would be that tought to beat. Did you see the monday night game? They lead the league in penalties, and their run game stinks.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Colts get in those unstopable winning streaks that seem to only stop in the playoffs... Steelers could hold Peyton to 21 points like the Texans did, but as of right now, I don't think the Steelers could put up 24-28 points to beat the Colts. If Ben is in the game, yes, but if you were to put the team as it is right now in week 4, no.
Patriots are nothing more than an above average team now. Jets shut them out in the 2nd half without Revis, they've lost their touch.
Packers are the team to beat if they don't commit penalties... They have been the most penalized team the past couple years, if they take care of that problem they'd be pretty unstopable themselves. Steelers Packers game would be close, I couldn't say if either team has an advantage over the other.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
billym99
Water Boy

Member Number: 11477

Agreed, Steelers would have won more easily then the Bears did last night. I'm just looking at the two teams, I think it is a game that could go either way if the Packers don't consistantly shoot themselves in the foot with penalties.

If they were playing tomorrow I would still put money on the Steelers to win.
billym99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

The Packers aren't as invincible as they were in the preseason (not surprising, the preseason is never that accurate in predicting how teams really will do) and the fact that they just lost a game tells me I think we could actually hang with them. Just look at what we did to Atlanta. I think Atlanta is right up there in caliber with Green Bay.

Anyone can beat the Patriots in their current state, the Bills gave them a run for their money, and we have a much better defense and certainly a slightly better offense even with a backup QB. Same goes for the Colts. Thus far the Colts and Pats have let offenses move the ball all over them and have required superior offense to win those games.

That being said I think you'll generally see two ways to rank a team. 1 - rank strictly based on the here and now, and 2 - rank based on the team's potential.

At 3-0 and what is easily a top 3 defense its easy to infer that once Ben comes back our offense is instantly going to get better than what it has been. When we consider an offense led by Ben has beaten the best teams in the NFL it is then easy to rank them high based on that inference.

However I would otherwise agree, in the here and now I think we might be a legitimate top 5 if not top 3 team without Ben, although we'll see for sure after the Ravens game.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,718 Times in 698 Posts

With the Steelers playing the kind of murderous defense they are playing and the way Mendenhall is running against tough defense's who know we're going to run, we can beat ANY TEAM in the NFL, hands down.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Nobody is unbeatable. It's all about the way that you play....the day that you play. The Steelers can beat ANYONE. They also could lose to anyone. History has proven this. Look at the recent so-called greatest team, The Undefeated Patriots of a few years ago. They lost to the WORST team to ever make the Super Bowl in the NY Giants. The Giants scored only 22 more points then they gave up that season, the worst Pt differential of a team to get to the Super Bowl, and yet they won. So no one is unbeatable.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Football is all about match-ups. Team A might match up with team B very well, and may actually beat them, but that doesn't necessarily mean that team A is better than team B when comparing them to the rest of the NFL.

The Steelers don't match up very well on defense against teams with elite quarterbacks and/or a west coast offense. Offensively, the Steelers don't match up well against teams with excellent speed rushers on the ends.

This makes me believe that the Colts would probably beat the Steelers. But the Steelers could probably beat the Texans. But the Texans beat the Colts. So you tell me who's the better team out of the 3?

I just don't agree with that guy's rational.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
With the Steelers playing the kind of murderous defense they are playing and the way Mendenhall is running against tough defense's who know we're going to run, we can beat ANY TEAM in the NFL, hands down.
Ditto........ as long as the Steelers play with the same intensity every game.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote