Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Baltimore better than Pittsburgh? Let's count the ways

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...3325031.column
baltimoresun.com
Baltimore better than Pittsburgh? Let's count the ways

Peter Schmuck

5:02 PM EDT, September 28, 2010
Advertisement

When the Ravens play the Indianapolis Colts, you don't need a psychologist to explain why you suddenly have a burning desire to go punch a moving truck.

When it's the Pittsburgh Steelers and you want to go all "Deer Hunter" on some drunk guy in a Hines Ward jersey it's a little more complicated. You might want to lie down on that couch and let the nice doctor go to town.

The thing is, we love to hate the Steelers and their miscreant, terrible-towel-waving fans, but the motivation is not as obvious as one Mayflower van through the heart. This is about them and us, and I'm not just talking about two smash-mouth football teams that play great defense and always seem to be in a death match with postseason implications even in Week 4.

Sure, the Steelers are a great football team with an enviable tradition and a room full of Lombardi trophies, which already would be enough to stoke the competitive fire of this rivalry. Throw in some nasty street fights over the past few years and you've got all the ingredients for another head-banger at Heinz Field on Sunday.

But this rivalry runs much deeper than that, and goes beyond a single sport or even sports in general. Whenever the Ravens and Steelers hook up, they represent two cities fighting not over their differences, but over their similarities.

Think about it. The Steelers represent a hard-scrabble industrial town that wears its blue collar like a badge. Baltimore was never the steel capital of the world, but we don't bleach our work shirts either. If you still need a football game to decide which town is tougher, that ought to tell you something.

The sports parallels are unmistakable. Each city has a long and glorious football history, though Baltimore's was interrupted when the Colts slithered away under the cover of darkness. Each city also has a long and storied baseball history that has been soiled by years of ineptitude.

The Pirates are one of the few teams in the major leagues that the Orioles haven't had to look up to over the past 13 years, but that's one of the reasons there is no longer any question that both Baltimore and Pittsburgh are football towns.

If you doubt there is an overarching civic rivalry, consider the actual sports landscape. The construction of Oriole Park was the beginning of a new era of sports architecture and quickly became the envy of the baseball world. Pittsburgh didn't just join in the rush to replicate the Camden Yards new-old experience, but built PNC Park with such a striking panoramic view of the Three Rivers area that it is considered by some (not us, of course) to be one of the most visually dazzling facilities in professional sports.

The construction of Heinz Field also followed the opening of the Ravens' state-of-the-art downtown stadium, giving Pittsburgh an equally impressive baseball/football complex. I'm sure the denizens of the Steel City would vigorously insist that a sports building boom was going on all over the country at that time and deny there was any intent to keep up with Baltimore, but it's pretty obvious they want to be just like us. Can't blame them for that.

They do have one big advantage over us. They've got a pretty good NHL team that won the Stanley Cup two years ago, but as everybody knows it doesn't really count if it's on the Versus channel. Oh, and the Pirates did beat the Orioles in the 1971 and 1979 World Series, but they probably cheated or something.

The biggest thing both cities have in common is a serious self-esteem problem. Baltimore is constantly trying to prove that it isn't just the backdrop for "The Wire" and "Homicide: Life on the Street." Pittsburgh is slightly more conflicted as it hangs on to its hard-as-steel image while trying to prove it's not just the dull factory town that filmmakers like to use to illustrate urban despair.

To be fair, they are both much better places than they have often been portrayed to the rest of the world, but that doesn't make for much of a storyline as the Ravens and Steelers prepare to renew one of football's best rivalries.

Let's just leave it at this: We hate the Steelers for all the reasons we do understand and some that we probably don't.

Now, what were you saying, doctor?

peter.schmuck@baltsun.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Baltimore better than Pittsburgh? Let's count the ways

LOL good honest reflection. They still have to win 5 more Super Bowl trophies to even begin to talk about being on equal footing football wise!

I do seriously respect the Ravens though! It is two games a year that are pretty much a really good measuring stick about how good our football team really is. They bring their A game every time and the hitting in those games has been ridiculous.You know as a football fan that those two games a year you are going to get 120 minutes of raw hard nosed hitting football. You can't beat that.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

They forgot to mention one thing......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,654 Times in 2,404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
They forgot to mention one thing......

they did mention that in the first paragrah

Sure, the Steelers are a great football team with an enviable tradition and a room full of Lombardi trophies, which already would be enough to stoke the competitive fire of this rivalry. Throw in some nasty street fights over the past few years and you've got all the ingredients for another head-banger at Heinz Field on Sunday.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
they did mention that in the first paragrah

My bad!....but it paints a much better picture when seen not written.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

They didn't mention Baltimore is a shithole place to live ;D
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053

Well I must be an Idiot cause I am still waiting to see where the Ravens are better than the Steelers....let me count the ways. Why doesn't this HACK address the Issues of this game. Like how are 4th string QB has better stats then their 1st string QB ? Or how their vaunted Defense was run over by a scrub Browns RB...and a WHITE one at that ? Or how they are gonna stop us through the air when their secondary is probably worse right now then 10 college secondaries I can name ? Yes I know the game will be an emotional game...it always is. But no way can ANYONE tell me that a Baltimore team that has barely scored 45 points in 3 games is gonna all of a sudden come into PITTSBURGH...with this defense...with a Healthy Troy, and Aaron Smith, as well as Mcfadden and a better Timmons and score the 24 to 27 points that I have seen a few experts say that they will. And if I'm wrong. And Baltimore wins say 24 or 27 to say our 10 to 13 points, then I will gladly say I am wrong.

But I wouldn't hold your breath is I were you.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

They do have one thing that Pittsburgh doesn't!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

I'm pretty sure the article was written with a little tongue in cheek as evidenced by the comment about the Stanley Cup not mattering because it was televised on Versus (irrelevant) or that the pirates "probably cheated or something" in winning the world series in 71 and 79.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
They didn't mention Baltimore is a shithole place to live ;D
Are you refering to Dallas or Detroit? Really it doesn't matter, Ive been to both and they both suck!
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote