Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
bozz723
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1132
Default OT - What ever happened to Kendrell Bell?

Seriously, what the hell ever happened to him? He's only 30 and used to be phenomenal. I can't find anything about why he has been out of the league since 2007.

Anyone know?
bozz723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: OT - What ever happened to Kendrell Bell?

He turned out to be a one year wonder.

Bell started all 16 games for the Steelers in his 2001 rookie season. He was an excellent fit for the Steelers defense, most likely because of his "blitzing abilities". The Steelers finished the regular season with a 13-3 record, earning them the top seed in the AFC. Bell was voted the AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. The Steelers defeated their division rival, Baltimore, 27-10 in the AFC Divisional round, at Heinz Field. The following week, they went on to face the second seeded, New England Patriots. Bell recorded 8 tackles, a sack, and 2 passes defended. Despite his stellar performance, and a late 4th quarter comeback, the Steelers wound up losing the game, 24-17. In 2002, Bell was injured in week 1 in the AFC Championship Game rematch, versus New England. He missed the next 4 games, but returned in week 7 to face the Indianapolis Colts on Monday Night. He finished the season with 50 tackles, (33 less from his rookie year), and 4 sacks. Bell suffered from what many Pittsburgh fans called the "Sophomore Jinx". The Steelers finished with a 10-5-1 record, and went on to face arch rival, Cleveland. In an epic 36-33 comeback win over the Browns, Bell recorded 9 tackles, but injured his knee in the final quarter, and was listed as doubtful for the following week at Tennessee. Although hurt, Bell started the game against the second seeded Titans. He recorded only 2 tackles, before leaving the game once again with an injury. The Steelers lost 34-31 in one of the most controversial games in NFL history. In 2003, Bell amassed 99 tackles, and 5 sacks, despite the Steelers poor 6-10 finish. In 2004, Bell injured his knee yet again, and would not see the field until week 9. He played 3 games for the Steelers before he re-injured his knee in week 11 versus Cincinnati. In the 2005 off-season, the Steelers, who went 15-1 in the regular season without Bell, released him from the team. He then signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he played 3 mediocre seasons. Injuries prevented him from having the same impact he did in Pittsburgh. He was forced to retire in late 2007, due to another series of injuries.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

Injuries ruined him.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Just one of those guys who just isn't built for the NFL. Bob Sanders is like that, he's only had 2 full seasons out of 5, and he's already injured this year. You see these type of players a lot. They are very good players, but can't stay healthy
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

This question came up to Mark Logan in the early spring this year. His response was that Bell just couldn't understand the playbook. He became a one dimensional player ... rush the QB. Aside from that he really never grasped what and where he was supposed to be. The basis of this outstanding defense is to do the unexpected ... can't do that with players that can only do one thing.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Funny this came up, me and my bro were just talking about him the other day.

Say what you want about Kendrell Bell, but that dude was a manimal (new word haha.) Before James Harrison came, it was Bell who was running through centers, picking them up and slamming them. He was so strong and used great leverage and hit like a train.

Most notable hits were in training camp when he hit Bettis in the backfield during drills and actually hit Bettis so hard that Bettis flew straight back and on his ass. Bettis said that was by far the hardest he's been ever hit.

The other was down in Tampa Bay in 2002. Tampa was on the goal-line and of coarse, they had the Brahma Bull in Mike Alsott who never gets hit for loss's. Alsott got the ball and met Mr. Bell in the hole. Bell came down with the hammer and knocked Alstott senseless, causing him to fumble.

Bell's ankle/knee injuries cost him as well as being a young player who couldn't grasp the playbook too well, but he could have been something big. He played his heart out in that Wild Card game against Cleveland in 2002 and single handily kept up in that game defensivley on 2 bad ankles.

I think he went to Kansas City where he wasn't used right. KC ran a 4-3 and I'm not sure if they used Bell as a D-end, or outside backer but he was none of those in the 4-3.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I was at that epic Pittsburgh..Cleveland playoff game....Kendrell was limping around the field and still terrorized the Browns. One of the finest defensive performances I have ever seen!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13572

He was one of my favorite players too. It's only the players that I get jerseys of that we lose. Kendrell, Maddox, Porter, Holmes idk what it is?
tmacsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I was at that epic Pittsburgh..Cleveland playoff game....Kendrell was limping around the field and still terrorized the Browns. One of the finest defensive performances I have ever seen!

Yes, so was I. One of the greatest and most wildest finishes I've ever been to. That stadium went out of control when Fu scored. On that last drive, I was screaming so hard that I had to squeeze my head and sit down in between plays because of migrains from screaming. Crazy. I remember for some reason up in Section 515, when Maddox threw a pass to Ward over the middle I thought it was picked and I sat down in my seat in sadness and my brother was like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! GET UP 1st down! " Poor saps who left the game in the 3rd QRT wanted back in. Everyone should know to never-ever leave a Pittsburgh Steelers game until 0:00 is on the clock. That's my written rule. We never leave, win or lose, no matter the margin until 0:00.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacsteelerfan View Post
He was one of my favorite players too. It's only the players that I get jerseys of that we lose. Kendrell, Maddox, Porter, Holmes idk what it is?
If you buy a Polamalu jersey, the whole forum with hunt you down.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote