Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142
Default Team Report: Inside Slant

The Pittsburgh Steelers believe they can win without Antwaan Randle El, apparently from management to players.

Several key players gave lukewarm endorsements for Randle El recently and then talked as if losing him were a foregone conclusion.

"If we don't have Antwaan, the next guy who comes in has to step up and perform, just like when we lost Plax," Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward said in reference to losing Plaxico Burress in free agency last year. "Everybody kept saying we couldn't win when we lost Plax -- here we are Super Bowl champions."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twice made pleas last year for the Steelers to keep Burress, who wound up getting no offer from the Steelers and signed with the New York Giants. He made no such plea for them to keep Randle El and even suggested they would miss him more as a punt returner than as a receiver.

"They're different players, Plax being a big, tall guy and Antwaan's a very good possession guy," Roethlisberger said. "If we lost him, we'd lose him big-time in the punt return game. He gives us such good field position every time we get the ball. That would be probably where we'd miss him a lot."

The quarterback said that Cedrick Wilson could replace Randle El anyway. Wilson was the team's only unrestricted free agent signing last year. He played split end when the Steelers used three receivers. Randle El caught 35 passes for 558 yards and Wilson caught 26 for 451.

"I have a lot of confidence in Cedrick that he can step in," Roethlisberger said. "He did a great job of filling in this year and he will continue to grow in this offens

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRep...pe=InsideSlant
Old 03-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
ngreene15
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 595
Default Re: Team Report: Inside Slant

Losing ARE wouldn't be the end of the world, along with Cedrick stepping up, Quincy Morgan could get more playing time... He can get the job done.

I'm on my way, I can feel my ring comin, it's the blood of a champion, pumpin, deep inside my veins, too much pride to be runnin I'ma get what I can and more, even if my blood, my sweat, and my tears don't mean nothin, it's the heart of a champion
ngreene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
ngreene15
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
i couldn't agree more!!!! 35 catches and 1 td in 16 games is just pathetic for a starting reciever. if wilson is the starter ,i expect the same kind of numbers out of him. we were at the bottom of the barrel when it came to 3rd down conversions this year .why???.....because we had no one to stretch the field,and our recievers could be covered one on one with a mediocre DB. we need a deep threat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep in mind the Steelers run to pass ratio (Like 60/40 in favour of running the ball.). I think ARE made the most of the oppurtunities he got as a reciever in the regular season.

I'm on my way, I can feel my ring comin, it's the blood of a champion, pumpin, deep inside my veins, too much pride to be runnin I'ma get what I can and more, even if my blood, my sweat, and my tears don't mean nothin, it's the heart of a champion
Old 03-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreene15
Losing ARE wouldn't be the end of the world, along with Cedrick stepping up, Quincy Morgan could get more playing time... He can get the job done.

I like Quincy and would love to see them get him the ball more
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

when we think of resigning antwan. think of the patriots game.!!!
then you wnt want him
Old 03-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
acrossthepond
Water Boy

Member Number: 368

Quincy hasn't got the best hands. I know receivers can get over this sometimes - if he develops into a reliable starting pass catcher, then watch out NFL, he can make plays
acrossthepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

I like Randle El. He's one of my favorites and I would hate to see him go. Ben likes big targets like Heath Miller and Cedric Wilson.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

Boy some of you are jumping off the ARE bandwagon pretty quick!! ARE is a GOOD reciever in his role, unfortunately some team is going to give him outrageous money like he's a No.1 reciever , he isn't. He is a good No. 2 and great No.3. The Steelers do not overpay players, see Plaxico Buress.

I would just like to see him follow Hines's lead and take a little less money and be faithful to the team that has given him the chance!!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
ngreene15
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
I like Randle El. He's one of my favorites and I would hate to see him go. Ben likes big targets like Heath Miller and Cedric Wilson.
Big Target?

Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I agree, and the way /i read that is, not one of them was dissing El. They know what El did for the team, they are just speaking the truth.Especially what Hines said.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote