Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,710 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic
Default if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

january 20th 1980 , i would soon be eight years old in less than a month. i knew about football but didnt really follow it until that fateful evening. i was spending the night @ my grandpa 's house. my dad called to shoot the breeze with me. during our conversation, my dad proposed a bet to me. he asked me if i wanted to bet a buck on the superbowl. ( dad and i would always have dollar wagers for bragging rights ) . i accepted the challenge. my dad said he wanted to bet on the rams cause he was a browns fan and hated the steelers. later that night as i listened to my grandfather bark @ the television everytime pittsburgh scored ( gramps was also a big browns fan and indians fan ) , i became hooked a steeler fan for life. after all, the steelers seemed to tick off my dad and grandpa and they just won me a dollar !!! a rivalry was born in my household that day, and i have bled black n gold ever since !!! now if i could only get the nfl to quit playing the browns on tv , i would be all good......it will be the third straight week i have to go to the bar to watch the " steel warriors " go into battle. .......here we go steelers ...here we go !!!! eradicate the ravens !!!!
Steelstoned1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by craignewhouser View Post
january 20th 1980 , i would soon be eight years old in less than a month. i knew about football but didnt really follow it until that fateful evening. i was spending the night @ my grandpa 's house. my dad called to shoot the breeze with me. during our conversation, my dad proposed a bet to me. he asked me if i wanted to bet a buck on the superbowl. ( dad and i would always have dollar wagers for bragging rights ) . i accepted the challenge. my dad said he wanted to bet on the rams cause he was a browns fan and hated the steelers. later that night as i listened to my grandfather bark @ the television everytime pittsburgh scored ( gramps was also a big browns fan and indians fan ) , i became hooked a steeler fan for life. after all, the steelers seemed to tick off my dad and grandpa and they just won me a dollar !!! a rivalry was born in my household that day, and i have bled black n gold ever since !!! now if i could only get the nfl to quit playing the browns on tv , i would be all good......it will be the third straight week i have to go to the bar to watch the " steel warriors " go into battle. .......here we go steelers ...here we go !!!! eradicate the ravens !!!!
Cool story, bro. Thanks for sharing.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

i started playing football when i was 8, and naturally just starting watching. Growing up in hawaii, most ppl here are 49ers or Raiders fans mainly because they're the closest team and unofficially the home team here (mostly the 49ers). One day I was watching an NFL films special and it was on the Steel Curtain, was impressed with the history of the team. Been rooting for them since 1990 :)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i started playing football when i was 8, and naturally just starting watching. Growing up in hawaii, most ppl here are 49ers or Raiders fans mainly because they're the closest team and unofficially the home team here (mostly the 49ers). One day I was watching an NFL films special and it was on the Steel Curtain, was impressed with the history of the team. Been rooting for them since 1990 :)
I started up in '90 as well.

I 'liked' the Steelers before, only because I thought they had the best color combination. Gimme a break. I was a kid.

I really started asking my dad questions about the team and the game of football when I was 10. I still remember getting pissed off at Bubby Brister because my dad was pissed off at Bubby Brister.

I do have a picture of myself when I was in diapers, wearing a Bradshaw shirt, kicking a football though.

The kicker of the story? I have lived in TX all my life and my pops is *not* from the 'Burgh.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,081 Times in 513 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

Well, my story is sort of weird. My parents are both from Pittsburgh and my dad is a die hard Steeler fan, but I was born and raised in Detroit. But I didnt really get into sports until I was around 9 or 10, and my family moved back to Pittsburgh when I was 8. So, Ive been a Steeler fan since I started actually caring about football, and I didnt really root for anybody before then, but had I never moved here Im not sure if I would have still wound up a Steelers fan because of my parents or if Id be a Lions fan right now (I do root for the Lions as my second favorite team but Steelers come first)
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,927 Times in 779 Posts

I pretty much popped out of my moms vagina with a Terrible Towel in hand. Long history of Steelers diehard in my family.

I love reading these threads. Good stuff guys.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

I was born in 1987. Wasn't really much of a football fan in my early years since my dad was more in to basketball and my main sport was baseball. My first real football memory though was Super Bowl XXX when I was 8-8/12 rooting for the Steelers over the Cowboys because I grew up in the DC area and everyone there mostly is a Skins fan and by default a Cowboys hater and this was of course at the height of the Cowboys 90's dynasty teams so I rooted for the Steelers. I started watching football more with my grandfather in the late 90's and my grandfather like all my family was originally from Western Pa. Him and my grandma were actually from Johnstown the same town as Jack Ham and to you history buffs the same town that has flooded a few times. He was a Steelers/Skins fan. I remember him talking about how the Steelers did everything right in football and as an organization. He was particularly proud of how the Rooneys treated their players. I remember loving Jerome Bettis because I liked watching him pound the ball. I could never be a Redskins fan since I hate how Dan Snyder runs his team and besides my other grandmother grew up in the part of Pittsburgh that became Three Rivers Stadium. Not sure who I would go for if I wasn't a Steelers fan. I as I said don't really like the Skins much since they're a team of mercenaries.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Thanks for all the replies folks....that's my first official post topic !!!!! I will say one thing , and its very important oh wait a minute ....ill save that for my second official post topic ;)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Ahhhhhh ....bubby brister ......I referred to him as bloody blister....... he had guts , was a leader .......but he ultimately forced an untimely blunder that usually hurt the steelers worse than a bloody blister......I liked him though , he was a blue collar tough guy qb from terry bradshaws home state......
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
colescott1
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15803

Mean Joe Greene / Coca Cola commerical at the ripe old age of 6. (Born and raised in MD, but that commerical hooked me for life.) I wondered how many Steeler fans were created by the Polamalu remake of it....but then again, it was no where near as good as the original.
colescott1 is offline   Reply With Quote