Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #21
Hobbes
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 4679
Default Re: if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

Living in Kansas and just getting interested in football I started rooting for the Chiefs. It was the early 70's I was 8 I did'nt know any better. This was before cable and the internet so your ability to even see other teams was limited to 3 mintue highlight shows and b/w pictures in the newspaper! Then came the Christmas Day 1971 Dolphins vs Chiefs. I was crushed, I rooted so hard for them and they lost! The next season I started looking for a new team. I fell in love with the black and gold colors and they where winning! I was 10 by now and could make intellegent choices.. The Steelers would go on to lose in the playoffs to the 17-0 Dolphins but it's not the Dolphins I would continue to hate, it is the Chiefs!. I have many teams I dislike in the NFL: Clowns, Faiders, Cowgirls, Ratbirds, but the Cheifs still top my list!

I still have my first piece of Steelers gear. A black and gold wool stocking cap that my mom had to order from the JC Penney catalog. It even has the little ball on top!
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #22
toughsticks87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14874
Default Re: if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

I'm from Boston and was a big Pats fan in the Bledsoe/Parcells days. When Brady/Bellicheat came in and started winning, everyone comes out of the woodworks with their Pats gear. Bandwagon fans are really annoying. So I sorta fell out of touch with football until my freshmen year of college in 2005. My roommate, for whatever reason, is a huge Steelers (to this day, he's the only one I know in person). Anyways, its not that I jumped on board right away, but I couldn't help but to root for 'his' team since he was always into it. As a result, I became emotionally attached to their games and was truly loving the way they played. And whaddya' know? They become the first 6 seeded team to win it. Been a die hard fan since.

I'm now a grad student with nothing but Pittsburgh stuff up in my dorm room. A full blanket, jerseys, multiple Steelers footballs, my official Terrible Towel, multiple hats, beanies....everything. I'm also an RA at my school, and always put Steelers stuff up on my bulletin boards/news letters. I don't miss a game and never lose faith. Go Steelers!

One more thing; people tend to call me a bandwagon since I started liking them during the 05-06 season. Rest assured I was still a huge fan last year and the 06-07 season. And one last thing; no one up here in Boston has ANY respect for Steelers and especially Big Ben. You guys may joke about Tom Brady being gay, but I hate that man more than you know. New England fans = mostly bandwagon/complete idiots. The ones that were around when the Pats won like 3 games in a season, I respect those guys (usually over 30 years old.)
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #23
Steelers92
Water Boy

Member Number: 16966

I live in Maryland but my parents have always been Steelers fans and I've followed them, I remember getting my first jersey when I was like 9 and it was Levon Kirkland.
Steelers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:35 AM   #24
Pierogiman
Water Boy

Member Number: 16938

I always tell people I was born in Three Rivers...and that I was the kid in the Mean Joe commercial. I also tell people I met my wife in a strip club when she fell off the pole and I caught her...so basically never believe a word I say!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:38 AM   #25
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

My dad worked at US Steel's Lorain works in Ohio for 42 years. All of his work gear had the Steel logo on it, and when I was very young - during the Steelers' 70s heydays - I actually thought my dad was a Pittsburgh Steeler.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #26
Mots
Water Boy

Member Number: 1059

I am from Vienna, Austria (you know, in Europe). I was born in 1981 and the biggest sports here are Soccer (which everybody calls football here and in which Austria just plainly sucks) and skiing (which Austria is pretty good at).

I was always fascinated with Football, but never watched a game until I was 16 I think. When I was about 13, there was a free sports magazine at my school which featured a 2page article about the NFL and its newest running back sensation, Jerome Bettis, who back then of course was with the Rams. I read the article and was hooked, I wanted to play football. So I found a team, played about two and a half years, and when I stopped playing I started following Jerome Bettis' career from papers (no internet back then). By then, Bettis was with the Steelers, so, obviously I started rooting for Pittsburgh :)
However, I hadn't seen a single Steelers game so far and couldn't name any player except Jerome Bettis (I probably didn't even know who Bill Cowher was).

This went on for several years until Ben's rookie season when I found an Irish pub that showed games on Sundays. I then started watching every Sunday and began reading every bit of Steelers information I could find on the Internet. I fell in love with the organisation, with the various players that have come and gone or are still here.

I own Jerome Bettis' biography and Dan Rooney's biography (which nicely describes the Steelers history, I think) and still try to read as many Steelers articles on the web as I can find. I even managed to get some of my friends interested in football in general :)
Also, football has become more popular over here in the last few years and there are now even some TV channels (ESPNAmerica) that show the games.
Europe has come a long way... :)
Mots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #27
Pittsburgh43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16073

I was 6 years old when I became a Steelers fan. I can remember watching Super Bowl 30 and crying after. I received a #10 Kordell Stewart jersey as a gift (I was already a Penguins fan) and when I opened it, I exclaimed "Wooo! A Ron Francis jersey! Oh, wait! Wooo! A Kordell Stewart jersey!"
I fell in love with the Pittsburgh Steelers at 6 years old, and my heart's been pumping black & gold blood ever since. I just love everything about this team: the tradition, the city it's in, and the fans. When you're at Heinz Field, it's like being surrounded by 65,000 of your closest family members all huddled around a football field instead of the living room TV.

To the Pittsburgh Steelers:

Can't wait till Sunday! Beat those Rats!!!
Pittsburgh43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #28
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219

okay true story: I'm from NY, was in Hershey PA in 75 for a family vacation. I was 4-5. Went up a 12 foot pool slide at some random hotel. Sat on top of the slide and grabbed the metal handles on the side and started going back and forth to get up speed. I let go at the wrong time and went backwards. Landed on my head 12 feet down on the concrete (no sh*t). Cracked my skull, my nose, my arm, had two black eyes, was really bad. After I got out of the hospital, a doctor told me (because of the skull fracture) that I would have to wear a helmet for a few months until my head completely healed. I had the choice of one of those white crash helmets or a football helmet. I picked a football helmet (of course). The only helmets I could get in Hershey (again, of course) was a Steeler helmet. When I returned to Rochester everyone was asking me questions about the Steelers and I started paying attention to football as a result. Of course the Steelers just happened to be the best team in history when I started watching. I've been a fan ever since.

I swear every word is true.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #29
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Living in Kansas and just getting interested in football I started rooting for the Chiefs. It was the early 70's I was 8 I did'nt know any better. This was before cable and the internet so your ability to even see other teams was limited to 3 mintue highlight shows and b/w pictures in the newspaper! Then came the Christmas Day 1971 Dolphins vs Chiefs. I was crushed, I rooted so hard for them and they lost! The next season I started looking for a new team. I fell in love with the black and gold colors and they where winning! I was 10 by now and could make intellegent choices.. The Steelers would go on to lose in the playoffs to the 17-0 Dolphins but it's not the Dolphins I would continue to hate, it is the Chiefs!. I have many teams I dislike in the NFL: Clowns, Faiders, Cowgirls, Ratbirds, but the Cheifs still top my list!

I still have my first piece of Steelers gear. A black and gold wool stocking cap that my mom had to order from the JC Penney catalog. It even has the little ball on top!
Let me get this right, you now despise the team you used to like because they lost a playoff game? I love reading these personal stories of how people became Steeler fans but this one kind of made my stomach turn. No offense Hobbes but this story is the worst of the bunch. Maybe I'm a little numb to that kind of story since I've been passionately rooting for the Pirates the last two decades but turning your back on a team and "finding a new one" because of a lost playoff game is pretty weak.

I've been a Steeler fan for life but the Chiefs became a "2nd-favorite" team of mine in the early 90s. I used to root for the Colts and Chiefs just because I loved watching their players but since Peyton came along and the Colts became a perennial powerhouse, I had to kick them to the curb. The Chiefs were fun to watch ever since Derrick Thomas, Joe Montana, Marcus Allen and Kimble Anders were in KC. The '93playoff loss to them ate me alive but wasn't enough for me to start rooting against the Chiefs.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #30
StillSpotz
Water Boy

Member Number: 16309

Born and raised in Houston, but my Dad grew up in Pittsburgh (Upper St. Claire area I think). Was really into baseball and was a huge Pirates fan. I would visit my Grandparents every summer for a couple weeks at a time and they would take me to Three Rivers for a few games. One summer, i was on the same plane as the Pirates, and actually sat with Omar Moreno and Kent Tekulve of all people. Most of the players came by to say hi because I was wearing my Pirates hat and they thought it was cool.

Anyway, once I got into football, there was no other choice but The Stillers. Along with a few Pirates games, my Grandparent would also take me to Latrobe for training camp. Hooked me for life, and it didn't hurt that they were dominating the
70's and beating the crap out of the Oilers. Got beat up a few times in school after crushing the oilers in the playoffs, which just made my passion for them even greater.

Now I'm in Dallas and most of my friends (all Cowboys fans) get sick of how the Steelers always seem to be in the mix. This year especially, with all of the Ben drama, they thought that this was finally the year they could shut me up. Ain't gonna happen.

StillSpotz is offline   Reply With Quote