Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,822 Times in 2,690 Posts
Default Jets Sign Trevor Pryce - Ryan Sticks It to Ravens

The New York Jets have intercepted the Ravens' plans to re-sign defensive end Trevor Pryce, who was waived by Baltimore on Wednesday....

Pryce was waived to make room for safety Ken Hamlin, who was released by Baltimore last week. Hamlin will probably contribute on special teams in Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"You've got roster issues that you deal with. It's not something we wanted to do," Harbaugh said of the move. "Trevor is a big part of what we're doing here, and we anticipate getting him back. It's just what we had to do for now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5632728

Guess again

I know the Jets can use a D-lineman with their nose tackle Jenkins out for the year, but this looks to me like Rex Ryan saw a chance to stick it to the team that passed him over for HC
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Re: Jets Sign Trevor Pryce - Ryan Sticks It to Ravens

I don't know why. Pryce has been washed up for 3 years now. I mean maybe he took him for depth. But he is nothing special anymore.
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote:
Rex Ryan jumps on 'window' to sign Trevor Pryce after Baltimore release »

By Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan made no secret that he went hard after Trevor Pryce after the veteran defensive lineman was released by the Ravens on Wednesday.
“We saw it as an opportunity - a window, maybe,” Rex Ryan said. “As soon as we saw that they released him, we, of course, got a little excited about it. At first, I was like, ‘There’s no way he was released.’”
But he was.
And Ryan swooped in.
Ryan didn’t think he fractured relations with his former team by signing the interior pass rusher. Ravens coach John Harbaugh, of course, said it was a “high possibility” that Pryce would be re-signed next week.

“I never received a phone call from (Ravens G.M.) Ozzie (Newsome),” Ryan said. “But Ozzie knows me well enough that if you leave Trevor Pryce out there, then we’re going to try to bring him in. It’s as simple as that…. If it was important for Ozzie, he would have called me.”
In other words, there’s no unwritten rule to lay off. Ryan called Pryce “a finisher” much like Jason Taylor and plans to use him on passing downs against the Bills on Sunday.
Pryce, who is fourth among active players in sacks, has just one tackle in the first three games.
So, how much does the 35-year-old interior pass rusher have left in the tank?
“He’s got more juice than Tropicana,” said linebacker Bart Scott, a former teammate in Baltimore.

Scott also didn’t subscribe to the notion that the Jets should not have pursued Pryce because the Ravens planned on re-signing him.
“I think they had every intention of bringing him back, but we beat them to the punch,” Scott said. “That just shows you how much love people have for Rex. He’s willing to leave a football team that’s competing for a playoff spot—possibly a Super Bowl spot to come to another one because of his relationship with Rex. I’m sure they had every intention of bringing him back on Monday. But he picked Rex.”
“There was only one team that could possibly pull this off,” Scott added. “And we pulled it off.”
Besides, Pryce chose not to stick around for Baltimore.
“He’s a grown man,” Scott continued. “He gets to go wherever he wants to. It ain’t my fault that he likes me more than he likes you. It’s his decision. You get a jealous when a chick picked your friend and didn’t pick you?”
Scott also said there were plenty of other Ravens who’d switch places with Pryce in a heartbeat.
“I guarantee you that there’s probably guys in the same spot right now jealous as hell,” Scott said. “Trevor probably gets texts like, ‘Man, come get me too.’ I guarantee you there’s at least 15 other players over there that’s praying to God that they get released for a half a day too, so they can come over here. They won’t admit it. But I guarantee you.”
The lesson of the story is simple, according to Scott. Don’t waive good players and assume they’ll be available a few days later.
“It’s a very dangerous game,” Scott said.
Pryce said that he had a half-hour conversation with Ravens coach John Harbaugh, who told him that the team would re-sign him on Monday.
But then Ryan entered the picture.
"When Rex calls, you answer the call," Pryce said. "It was strange walking in here at first.Then, I looked at the playbook... all the plays are the same."
Pryce admitted that the Ravens took "a calculated risk" because they didn't believe he'd have serious suitors so fast.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...#ixzz113s7X3uU

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

Trevor Pryce is nowhere near being a very good football player anymore, and that's just a fact.

He may be better than our young backups (Kruger) in the immediate immediate future, but given time, Paul and co. will be far more valuable.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

But he was your leading pass rusher last year.

He may not be the player he once was, but he still led your team in sacks(6.5). That's production some guys never get. There's plenty of "older" guys on our d-line I wouldn't be willing release to simply add depth for another position. Seems like they just got bit in the ass trying to be too cute with the move.

Yes, he is 35. I'm sure he dosen't fit into long terms plans for a lot of teams, but as Dan said, this may have more to do with Rex sticking it too them more than anything.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
But he was your leading pass rusher last year.

He may not be the player he once was, but he still led your team in sacks(6.5). That's production some guys never get. There's plenty of "older" guys on our d-line I wouldn't be willing release to simply add depth for another position. Seems like they just got bit in the ass trying to be too cute with the move.

Yes, he is 35. I'm sure he dosen't fit into long terms plans for a lot of teams, but as Dan said, this may have more to do with Rex sticking it too them more than anything.
I made a post on our board along the same lines as your last sentence; the Jets make every effort to sign everyone and anyone whom we release/have on the market.

Bringing in washed-up linemen nearing 40 isn't some defining moment. We released Pryce, for a reason. . .
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnet View Post
I made a post on our board along the same lines as your last sentence; the Jets make every effort to sign everyone and anyone whom we release/have on the market.

Bringing in washed-up linemen nearing 40 isn't some defining moment. We released Pryce, for a reason. . .
if the ravens didn't think price had anything left to offer, then he wouldn't have been on the roster week 1.... they released him for the same reason the steelers released lefty. to add depth elsewhere for 1 week.
i think the situation is just.......PRICELESS !!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
if the ravens didn't think price had anything left to offer, then he wouldn't have been on the roster week 1.... they released him for the same reason the steelers released lefty. to add depth elsewhere for 1 week.
i think the situation is just.......PRICELESS !!!
If the Ravens had thought that Pryce signing elsewhere had possible long-term consequences for the team, they wouldn't have released an impact player to add depth. How about that?