Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338
Default Steelers Fan For How Long?

Just a Simple Question for you all . . .
How long you been a Steelers fan and what keeps you being a Steelers fan?

To answer my questions, I have been a Steelers fan for well over 30 years and I love the style that our Team seems to Always play. I have always and will always be a fan of Great Defense and the Steelers and Ravens have that in common and them being the Paper Champs on Defense every year I think it just makes our Rivalry that much stronger. Whether your a Rookie First Year fan of the Black n Gold or a fan longer than me I would like to hear from ya.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,154 Times in 479 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Fan For How Long?

I'm 22 years of age now but grew up in a family full of diehard Steelers fans. We are that family that people instantly connect us to the Steelers haha. Ever since I could remember, everytime we lose, people literally walk up to me and ask me what what wrong like I was the head coach or something and the haters would make a point to get at me first on their list haha.

Me and my buddies were recently at Barnes and Nobles and we were in the Steelers section and he grabbed a history book and asked me some scores of certain games trying to stump me. He just put thebook back on the shelf when I answered them all correct and shook his head lol.

My earliest memory would be in 1994. My dad came home with a busted leg because after a playoff game I think against Cleveland. He saw Kevin Greene in the parking lot and tried to get his autograph for me and my brother. He got caught on Greens truck and he got dragged a bit and completley snapped his leg. True story. I can't tell you the jaw dropping stories my Dad has from the 70's. His first game was the Immaculate Reception when he was 15 and he has the ticket stub to prove it.

When I was in first grade in 1995, we would write a journal to start our morning and remember writing about the Steelers almost every day and how we were going to womp on the Colts in the '95 championship game.

I remember watching that Ernie Mills catch in the AFC Champ game against the Colts on the one yard line, the one were he made a double move on the corner and made a spectacular catch over his shoulder and then dragged his foot in bounds. Catch of the game. My video tape always turns to fuzz every time that part comes on because I wore it out.

My first game I attended was in 1996 when I was in 2nd grade with my dad when we faced Young and Rice's monstrous 49'ers (Peanut Heaven.) We pretty much got killed but I still cheered my heart out and then a revolution began. I never attend a game without my Dad if the opportunity presents itself. We have that bond.

My earliest memory of football would be 1994, so I'd say I've been a diehard fan for 16 years now.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,533 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Almost 31 years........I stay a fan because .......there is no other team !!!!
Steelstoned1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

I've been a Steelers fan sine I was six so... seventeen years. What made me fall in love with the Steelers was their defense. Hard hitting football is the only football! Also the color scheme and the logo and how it's the only helmet with one! (not really important reasons, but reasons I had as a six year old)

Later I found out more about their history and the current team/s (from watching every week, haven't missed a game in four years!) and found out that the Steelers (fans included) are a family. Example - Chuck Noll, Joe Greene, and Mark Bruener are all members of the staff in some way. Also all the owners are Rooneys! Also how long the previous two coaches were there. Another example would be Batch's dedication and his understanding of his role with us.(I really hope is a coach or works for the organization somehow after he retires as a player - much love for Batch) and last but not least - Dick Lebuea.

Family, History, Championships, and Hard Hitting Football....
BengalDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

I have pictures of me as a baby in Steelers gear and sitting on my Dad's lap reaching for his beer during game time. I guess you could say that's where it all started.

I used to just watch games (even before I really understood what was going on) to spend time with my Dad (was always a tomboy and a Daddies girl, so it was fitting), and it was inevitable that I would fall in love with the team and the sport. I still can't watch a game without thinking about those days. Same with hockey too (though I was quicker to get into the schematics of hockey).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,589 Times in 2,381 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

ever since i got into football in 1990, so that would be 21 years. I wanted to be a linebacker like jack lambert while growing up and played middle linebacker up into the high school days, and always wore #58 haha. good times.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
SuperSteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I'm 22 years of age now but grew up in a family full of diehard Steelers fans. We are that family that people instantly connect us to the Steelers haha. Ever since I could remember, everytime we lose, people literally walk up to me and ask me what what wrong like I was the head coach or something and the haters would make a point to get at me first on their list haha.

Me and my buddies were recently at Barnes and Nobles and we were in the Steelers section and he grabbed a history book and asked me some scores of certain games trying to stump me. He just put thebook back on the shelf when I answered them all correct and shook his head lol.

My earliest memory would be in 1994. My dad came home with a busted leg because after a playoff game I think against Cleveland. He saw Kevin Greene in the parking lot and tried to get his autograph for me and my brother. He got caught on Greens truck and he got dragged a bit and completley snapped his leg. True story. I can't tell you the jaw dropping stories my Dad has from the 70's. His first game was the Immaculate Reception when he was 15 and he has the ticket stub to prove it.

When I was in first grade in 1995, we would write a journal to start our morning and remember writing about the Steelers almost every day and how we were going to womp on the Colts in the '95 championship game.

I remember watching that Ernie Mills catch in the AFC Champ game against the Colts on the one yard line, the one were he made a double move on the corner and made a spectacular catch over his shoulder and then dragged his foot in bounds. Catch of the game. My video tape always turns to fuzz every time that part comes on because I wore it out.

My first game I attended was in 1996 when I was in 2nd grade with my dad when we faced Young and Rice's monstrous 49'ers (Peanut Heaven.) We pretty much got killed but I still cheered my heart out and then a revolution began. I never attend a game without my Dad if the opportunity presents itself. We have that bond.

My earliest memory of football would be 1994, so I'd say I've been a diehard fan for 16 years now.
Stainless, that's a great story with you and your dad. My son was born in Pittsburgh. On the day he was born, he was wrapped in a terrible towel. He watched his first game at 2 days old, it was us playing the Ravens away in December 2001.. the game when Kordel had over 300 passing yards.

We had to move away for work before he turned 1, and haven't lived in the Burgh since. We are now living in Houston, TX and my son will be turning 9 in December. He is a Steelers fan. As a matter of fact, when people ask him where he's from, he always says Pittsburgh..

He's dealing with a lot of Texans, Saints, and Colts fans at school.. telling him that the Steelers are not the best football team. But we're setting them straight.

So this year, for his 9th birthday I am taking him to Pittsburgh to see the Carolina game live. I want for him to feel what it's like to be amongst 65K fans.. all cheering for the best team of all time. I hope to seal the Steelers deal with him for life!!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Born and raised in Dburgh. Been a fan for over 40 years. Hope to make another 40 years. Here we go Steelers here we go!!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Told this already basically but:
I've been a fan for I guess about 14 years now. I'm 23. My dad was never a big football fan when I was growing up. He didn't play football as a kid because I think he had a couple concussions already. My first real football memory is as I've said Super Bowl XXX with the Steelers playing the Cowboys. I rooted for the Steelers because everyone here hated the Cowboys but I began to casually follow the Steelers after that. And it turned out that my mom's dad was a Steelers fan. He loved how they ran the ball heavily and had strong defenses. He also admired how the Rooneys and then coach Cowher ran the team. He was from the Pittsburgh area as were all my grandparents so it's not a real surprise for me that I became a Steelers fan. I still root for the team because they represent men like my grandfather, hard working, blue collar, and tough as hell. My grandfather died a couple weeks before we won the Super Bowl against the Cards. Miss him still since he is the one who got me in to football, boxing, and I am proud to be named after him too. Wish he could be here to enjoy this nice start we've had. This has been tough D at its best and we're seeing the return of the hardnosed running game with Mendenhall and Redman.
GMU Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
ANGST
Water Boy

Member Number: 6513

Since I was old enough to know about football ( 1979 )

and lived in PA at the time.
ANGST is offline   Reply With Quote