Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Polamalu Top 100?

More time in the league will help determine his spot. Top 100 ever...WOW!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Peyton Manning is definatally in the top 3.

Ed Reed was on there, so there isn't any reason Polamalu can't, any many believe he is a better overall player than Reed.
And I can't believe Derrick Brooks was 97. Fans voted him around 66. I say he's even higher. Ray Lewis hasn't been mentioned yet, I wonder how high he is. I know no one likes him on here, but he is one of the greatest, and as Ward says "I wish he'd retire already" lol
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Troy is great when healthy but he has only been healthy as a starter for full three seasons in 2004, 2005 and 2008 - hard to see Troy ranked ahead of legendary DBs such as Herb Adderley (#64) and Willie Brown (#66)
This isn't really a list of players who have the best tenure in the NFL. 8 of the retired players onthe list already have had 9 seasons or less in the NFL. A couple have 7 and one even has only 6 seasons.
The players who make the list are players who made the most impact in the NFL while they were there.
Willie Brown played until he was 38, 16 seasons, one of the oldest DB's to ever play. Rod Woodson might have been older in his last start by a couple months.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post

Ed Reed was on there, so there isn't any reason Polamalu can't, any many believe he is a better overall player than Reed.
And I can't believe Derrick Brooks was 97. Fans voted him around 66. I say he's even higher. Ray Lewis hasn't been mentioned yet, I wonder how high he is. I know no one likes him on here, but he is one of the greatest, and as Ward says "I wish he'd retire already" lol
It is a great subject to debate since every fan has a favorite player they believe was ranked too low, such as your view on Derrick Brooks

Peyton Manning is no lock for the top three - since I assume Jim Brown has to be in the top three (along with Jerry Rice?) and there is room for debate as to whether Peyton is even the greatest QB of his era (some would say Brady is given his 3 rings and lights out 2007 season) or own franchise (Johnny U) let alone of all time (Montana has to be in that discussion), I see Peyton as definite top 10 but not necessarily top 5

With regard to Lewis, he does not appear to be as despised around here as in the past ,perhaps because he has entered into grand old man of the game status or maybe because Steelers fans are less likely to throws rocks at someone for off the field problems given the past two offseasons of #7
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
This isn't really a list of players who have the best tenure in the NFL. 8 of the retired players onthe list already have had 9 seasons or less in the NFL. A couple have 7 and one even has only 6 seasons.
The players who make the list are players who made the most impact in the NFL while they were there.
Willie Brown played until he was 38, 16 seasons, one of the oldest DB's to ever play. Rod Woodson might have been older in his last start by a couple months.
Longevity is not the only standard but excellence over time is a factor and the greatest players have had more than 3 full seasons as a top flight starter - that is why i question Namath being on the list given that he did not do much after 1968

My bet is the player yet to be named on the ist with the shortest tenure of greatness will be Gale Sayers, who was never the same after he blew out his knee in his fourth year but after the injury still came back to lead the league in rushing his fifth year before another knee injury effectively ended his career
Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
It is a great subject to debate since every fan has a favorite player they believe was ranked too low, such as your view on Derrick Brooks

Peyton Manning is no lock for the top three - since I assume Jim Brown has to be in the top three (along with Jerry Rice?) and there is room for debate as to whether Peyton is even the greatest QB of his era (some would say Brady is given his 3 rings and lights out 2007 season) or own franchise (Johnny U) let alone of all time (Montana has to be in that discussion), I see Peyton as definite top 10 but not necessarily top 5

With regard to Lewis, he does not appear to be as despised around here as in the past ,perhaps because he has entered into grand old man of the game status or maybe because Steelers fans are less likely to throws rocks at someone for off the field problems given the past two offseasons of #7
Out of former top 100 nfl players, Peyton was either top 3 or the best player, but those weren't officially made by the NFL, which has been making this list for about a year, surveying former and current nfl players and coaches.

Fans voted Singletary number 15, I think he was 50 or 60 something in the topp 100. Fans tend to only remember players from 70's to now, NFL is doing players from the begining till now, which is why you'll see a lot of 60's Packers in the official 100 and not the fan one.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Longevity is not the only standard but excellence over time is a factor and the greatest players have had more than 3 full seasons as a top flight starter - that is why i question Namath being on the list given that he did not do much after 1968

My bet is the player yet to be named on the ist with the shortest tenure of greatness will be Gale Sayers, who was never the same after he blew out his knee in his fourth year but after the injury still came back to lead the league in rushing his fifth year before another knee injury effectively ended his career
Kurt Warner would instantly be off the list if excellence over time mattered lol. He had 3 great seasons, 3 above average seasons, and the rest is just terrible. And one of those great seasons is more medicore due to the fact he threw 22 interceptions and his defense had to win games for him. Some people see greatness, but too me its just a couple seasons spanned years apart where he was surrounded by good players that allowed him to excelle.

Troy has 3 full seasons, but 2006 he only missed 3 games, and 2007 he only missed 5, those still qualify for good seasons. 2009 is his only bad year, but the few games he was in, he was a huge difference maker.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Kurt Warner would instantly be off the list if excellence over time mattered lol. He had 3 great seasons, 3 above average seasons, and the rest is just terrible. And one of those great seasons is more medicore due to the fact he threw 22 interceptions and his defense had to win games for him. Some people see greatness, but too me its just a couple seasons spanned years apart where he was surrounded by good players that allowed him to excelle.

Troy has 3 full seasons, but 2006 he only missed 3 games, and 2007 he only missed 5, those still qualify for good seasons. 2009 is his only bad year, but the few games he was in, he was a huge difference maker.
Agree with you on Warner - I think his Super Bowl stats and the fact he had a rebirth in Arizona are what got him on the list

Want to mke it clear i am not dissing Troy - he has played whenever possible (e.g. - hurt his shoulder early in 2006 and was basically playing with one arm until a knee injury took him off the field later that season) - but his realtively small stature and breakneck style make him injury prone - i know I am holding my breath he hods togther thise season
Old 10-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Agree with you on Warner - I think his Super Bowl stats and the fact he had a rebirth in Arizona are what got him on the list

Want to mke it clear i am not dissing Troy - he has played whenever possible (e.g. - hurt his shoulder early in 2006 and was basically playing with one arm until a knee injury took him off the field later that season) - but his realtively small stature and breakneck style make him injury prone - i know I am holding my breath he hods togther thise season
If Walter Payton can survive 10 full seasons in the NFL, I think Troy can too... hopefully
Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:

Peyton Manning will be top 10 but probably not top 3. He is probably the greatest QB of this era (with Brees and Brady close behind) but he only has 1 SB.

I think Rice will be first. I think Montana will be top 5. I think Brady will be top 20. I don't think Brees makes the list. They will pepper the top 10 with people that were "good in their era" to pay hommage to the oldies...boo.

I'm now not sure if Troy will make the list.

In this current list of Top NFL 100 for this season, they have the top 4 as QBs just as I have them ranked:
1. Manning 2. Brees 3. Brady 4. Ben

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/N...photo=11350087