Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Legursky may keep Essex on the bench

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Legursky may keep Essex on the bench
September 30th, 2010

Look for Doug Legursky to get another start at right guard Sunday when the Steelers and Ravens renew their rivalry at Heinz Field.

Essex, who sprained his left ankle two weeks ago against the Titans, did not practice again Thursday. What’s more the Steelers don’t appear to be rushing Essex back from his injury.

That is how much they like Legursky.

“It’s like Casey Hampton said, if he’s 6-4, he’s in the Pro Bowl,” Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of Legursky. “Everybody says he’s little just because he’s short but he’s 320 (pounds). He has great hand placement and knows how to play the game. He’s just a good football player.”

When asked if Legursky is the kind of player that might seize an opportunity created by an injury, Arians smiled.

“I wouldn’t surprised if he’s in (the starting lineup) for a long time,” Arians said.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was also a bit cryptic Tuesday when asked about Legursky’s play in Tampa Bay.

“I think that’s one of the reasons why Trai is feeling better,” Tomlin said.

Reading between the lines of what both Tomlin and Arians said, it is pretty clear that Essex is going to have to win his starting job back when he is healthy.

Speaking of Arians, he is as forthright at coaches come, which is why he always draws a crowd for his weekly Q&A sessions with reporters.

One question he would not touch Thursday: Ben Roethlisberger’s imminent return.

Roethlisberger’s four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy ends at Sunday’s game. He is expected to be at the Steelers’ practice facility Monday.

“I’ll hold on that (question) until Monday because there’s nothing that’s taking away from the Ravens,” Arians said. “I haven’t even thought about it because of where we are in the week. It’s Thursday of Ravens week. When Monday comes I’ll probably smile.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Legursky may keep Essex on the bench

Consistency is the key! I hope he does another great job against the Ravens D. If he does Essex is going to have one hell of a fight on getting his job back.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Well, there's the saying that says a guy shouldn't lose his spot because of injury, but it's clear that the coaches thought he did a good enough job to deserve another start.

Essex clearly needs more time to get well, and made this decision a lot easier since he couldn't even practice Thursday. It's funny that he said he was feeling better early in the week. He's obviously feeling the reality that he could possibly lose his job even if he were 100%.

The "Dude" has played well. Essex has had some good games, along with some bad ones. I really can't say I care who eventually ends up starting because it's all suppose to be about the "better" man getting the job, but I think in the back of my mind I will be pulling for the big Legursky 'cause he's kinda the underdog in the story.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,581 Times in 2,376 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

good, essex sucks
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
good, essex sucks

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Essex is our weakest link and we actually looked good without him last week so I would be very glad to see him not come back
Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Here is where I was hoping that the Steelers let Legursky play RG, moved Essex out to backup at OT like he used to and then kept Foster and Urbik as backup OG's.

I think this is the final season for Essex in B&G. Same too for Colon because of injury and contract. I guess we will probably see a 5th round OG taken in next years draft, but Legursky is a keeper because he can play 2 position and even long snap.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Here is where I was hoping that the Steelers let Legursky play RG, moved Essex out to backup at OT like he used to and then kept Foster and Urbik as backup OG's.

I think this is the final season for Essex in B&G. Same too for Colon because of injury and contract. I guess we will probably see a 5th round OG taken in next years draft, but Legursky is a keeper because he can play 2 position and even long snap.
agreed .... that was my prediction as well. essex was the top backup tackle for 2 years , so i don't understand why they brought scott from buffalo. the competition for the last roster spot should have been between essex , hills and scott, instead of urbik, essex and foster.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Trai's a good guy, and I'm happy he's on the team and all, but I like him a helluva lot more coming off the bench as a swingman when needed ( which hopefully will be little if not at all) than as a starter. I really hope Legurskey makes the position his!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Trai's a good guy, and I'm happy he's on the team and all, but I like him a helluva lot more coming off the bench as a swingman when needed ( which hopefully will be little if not at all) than as a starter. I really hope Legurskey makes the position his!
Nice post zul!

I think Essex is very valuable as a swingman who can play 4 positions.

I would love for Leg to play so well that Steelers keep him in that spot.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote