Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
whatdoiknow
Banned

Member Number: 16053
Default Is Emmanuel Sanders a Bust ?

I'm wondering why our 3rd round WR, who according to all sources during training camp was lighting it up. And who said was getting and understanding our complete play book is on our constant deactivated list. And our 6th rounder from Central Michigan is constantly activated on game days ? I mean why can't someone like Sanders who is supposed to be so fast, with great hands and return abilty can't displace say A.Battle ? I know Battle plays on our coverage unit. But it's not like he is All-World at it. It's not like he will be greatly missed. I can only come to the conclusion that maybe Sanders is NOT all that. And has been struggling in practice. Cause I know Sanders did very little when played in the pre-season games. As where Antonio Brown was All-World in the pre-season. So my question is this,,,is E.Sanders the next Willie Reid ?
whatdoiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Is Emmanuel Sanders a Bust ?

are you kidding me? it's only three games into his career and you are calling him a bust. he was deactivated because of an injury.

and i don't know what preseason you were watching.. both Sanders looked good to me.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
whatdoiknow
Banned

Sanders is not Injured at all. And he had 3 total catches in pre-season for 23 Yds. Tell me again how Impressive he was :-)
Old 10-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
sbbound
Water Boy

Member Number: 15380

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
I'm wondering why our 3rd round WR, who according to all sources during training camp was lighting it up. And who said was getting and understanding our complete play book is on our constant deactivated list. And our 6th rounder from Central Michigan is constantly activated on game days ? I mean why can't someone like Sanders who is supposed to be so fast, with great hands and return abilty can't displace say A.Battle ? I know Battle plays on our coverage unit. But it's not like he is All-World at it. It's not like he will be greatly missed. I can only come to the conclusion that maybe Sanders is NOT all that. And has been struggling in practice. Cause I know Sanders did very little when played in the pre-season games. As where Antonio Brown was All-World in the pre-season. So my question is this,,,is E.Sanders the next Willie Reid ?
Not for nothing but Sanders had 9 receptions for 149 yards this pre-season. For a second teamer thats not too bad. He looked really good from what I saw of him. He got a ton of looks beyond his receptions. I dont think his deactivation has as much to do with him being a 'bust' as it just makes roster sense right now. I'd say by no means is Randle-El a lock for #3 next year depending on players developement. Brown is a special teams ace thus he demands a roster spot and Battle is another player brought in to bolster the special teams, with the bonus of being a veteran wideoout. I dont understand how you can come to the conclusion that Battle wouldn't be missed on special teams? Our special teams got torched last year. They simply just dont have the roster spot at this point because the upgrade at special teams is obviously of more importance to the front office. Give the kid some time before you label him a bust or anything close to that. Also how is a rookie 3rd rounder that hasn't seen the field yet a bust? Its not like the steelers traded next years 1st rounder to move to #3 in the 1st round to pick him.
sbbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
whatdoiknow
Banned

Okay but, Brown, who is a great Punt returner in college has been an average Kick-off guy. Yes I know he had that long TD against Tennessee. But that was more of a deception return then pure speed and skill return. And when it comes to Kick-off returns, usually pure speed is more dangerous then quick side to side movement like Brown has. So one would think that Sanders would be more of a threat on Kick-offs then Brown. Also, tems don't waste a valuable roster spot on a rookie who ONLY returns kick-offs. The steelers have many others who can do that..( Moore, El, Wallace, ect )...and since ANY WR can get hurt during a game, then It is obvious that as a potential Back-up WR, Brown has the confidence of the coaches more than Sanders does.

And that is so obviously clear. I'm not saying Sanders IS a Bust...I was just asking about the possibility.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
sbbound
Water Boy

Member Number: 15380

Quote:
Okay but, Brown, who is a great Punt returner in college has been an average Kick-off guy. Yes I know he had that long TD against Tennessee. But that was more of a deception return then pure speed and skill return. And when it comes to Kick-off returns, usually pure speed is more dangerous then quick side to side movement like Brown has. So one would think that Sanders would be more of a threat on Kick-offs then Brown. Also, tems don't waste a valuable roster spot on a rookie who ONLY returns kick-offs. The steelers have many others who can do that..( Moore, El, Wallace, ect )...and since ANY WR can get hurt during a game, then It is obvious that as a potential Back-up WR, Brown has the confidence of the coaches more than Sanders does.

And that is so obviously clear. I'm not saying Sanders IS a Bust...I was just asking about the possibility.
Brown is a KR/WR. His value at this point is higher than sanders, that is as clear as reynolds ceran wrap. As i said in my original post.. I dont think Randle El is a lock #3 wr in the future, but right now hes creating a stop gap thats preventing sanders from getting his shot. Unfortunately for Sanders hes just going to have to wait and prove his worth. Also, another note on brown.. The jury is still out on his competence as a return guy. Its not like hes out there a ton of times a game returning kicks, because the steelers d doesn't give up any points. He's had 6 total ko/punt returns, and one, deceptive or not, went for a very important TD. Sanders returned a kick week 1 and hasn't seen any action since.. it is very obvious Brown is getting the nod because of his return ability, and they look at sanders as more of a pure WR.
sbbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Sanders is not Injured at all. And he had 3 total catches in pre-season for 23 Yds. Tell me again how Impressive he was :-)

Sanders certainly was injured...it was well reported on as well. He was injured during the Falcons game (Brown was not activated for that game).

Quote:
Steelers vs. Titans injury report

Steelers: DT Casey Hampton (hamstring) and T Max Starks (ankle) are out. WR Emmanuel Sanders (quad) and LB Jason Worilds (shoulder) are doubtful. WR Arnaz Battle (knee), QB Byron Leftwich (knee) and CB Bryant McFadden (groin) are probable.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2...injury-report/

Quote:
Rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown likely will dress for his first NFL game this coming Sunday when the Pittsburgh Steelers travel to Nashville to take on the Tennessee Titans. Fellow rookie Emmanuel Sanders is dealing with a quadricep injury that Sanders himself said was more serious than he initially thought. If Sanders can't go or is excessively burdened by the quad come the weekend, it would make sense that Brown would get the start. Brown and Sanders reportedly compete directly each week for the final spot on the wide receiver depth chart.
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...his-best-chris

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
whatdoiknow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbound View Post
Brown is a KR/WR. His value at this point is higher than sanders, that is as clear as reynolds ceran wrap. As i said in my original post.. I dont think Randle El is a lock #3 wr in the future, but right now hes creating a stop gap thats preventing sanders from getting his shot. Unfortunately for Sanders hes just going to have to wait and prove his worth. Also, another note on brown.. The jury is still out on his competence as a return guy. Its not like hes out there a ton of times a game returning kicks, because the steelers d doesn't give up any points. He's had 6 total ko/punt returns, and one, deceptive or not, went for a very important TD. Sanders returned a kick week 1 and hasn't seen any action since.. it is very obvious Brown is getting the nod because of his return ability, and they look at sanders as more of a pure WR.

Okay, lets say you're right., and I agree. But still even with that said, don't you feel that with all of Sanders pure speed and Athleticism, as well as his catching ability that he would be a better guy to have on our active roster then say the unused Battle ? Cause Battle is not now, or ever has been considered a great ST player. And as a WR, he is very limited as well. And most of us here would probably think that IF we had to call on either Battle, or Sanders as a needed WR, wouldn't we all say that Sanders is the better option ?
Old 10-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Hi5Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16852
My Mood: Yeehaw

wrong

Sanders has a quadriceps injury and THAT is why he hasnt been activated. Sanders was much better than randle el when healthy.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
BlockMonsta
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13642

And as your name implies...
BlockMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote