Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Steel Warrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2771
My Mood: Shocked
Default Re: Not a good game for the coaching staff

One first down and the game was over. Throw the damn ball and at least try. Giving the Rats a short field anything can happen and it did. Poor coaching.
Steel Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,050 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Reed lost us the game this time plain and simple
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the funny thing is , if the same scenerio happens the next game.... tomlin will STILL call 3 run plays.
Yea your probably right.........But I'm hoping for some new thinkin around these parts when it comes to putting teams away..........First downs wins games......Short little crotch rocket thows will get you 4-6 yards a pop..........I just don't like how the Steelers go and hide in their turtle shell at the end of games........When you do that, the predator knows exactly where you are and what your doing............I'm just tired of seeing this play calling out of my Team year after year.........That is one of our only pitfalls that holds us back for more championship runs..........All I'm saying is lets lay it all out there and go for it a little more, rather than lay back and hope the other team doesn't.....
Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
Reed lost us the game this time plain and simple
no he did not. 40+ yards on that end of the field is never something you want to rely on. the defense gave the offense the ball inside the 35 to start TWICE! they werent able to get a first down on either of those two drives, forcing two very difficult field goals. dont blame Reed for this, the Ravens kicker missed one from that range as well in the same end of the field. our offense only showed up on 2 drives the entire game. thats what cost us the game
Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #25
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,050 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
no he did not. 40+ yards on that end of the field is never something you want to rely on. the defense gave the offense the ball inside the 35 to start TWICE! they werent able to get a first down on either of those two drives, forcing two very difficult field goals. dont blame Reed for this, the Ravens kicker missed one from that range as well in the same end of the field. our offense only showed up on 2 drives the entire game. thats what cost us the game
yes he did, that's what he is supposed to do he's making millions to do just that
everybody f*** up that i know but he kicked the ball not anybody else and if he cannot be trusted than he should not be there

Last edited by fer522; 10-03-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: messed up
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #26
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

I agree with the OP. On third down with two minutes to go, you pass for the first down. You get it, game over. You miss getting the 1st, and Baltimore still gets it at the 50. Whether there is 60 seconds or 100 seconds to go is immaterial to Baltimore's fate. Any reasonably good team can cover 50 yards in either of those times. Bad decision by Tomlin IMHO. There was no downside to passing on third except an INT. Go for the win.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #27
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Not a great game, to many mental mistakes but overall we are going to be fine. We lost this one and it is in the books time to move on to the Brownies and move forward from there.

Anyone think we would go undefeated this year? Not me I said 12-4 this year maybe 11-5.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
yes he did, that's what he is supposed to do he's making millions to do just that
everybody f*** up that i know but he kicked the ball not anybody else and if he cannot be trusted than he should not be there
well how about the offense not getting a first down to close the game out at the end? you cant put a loss on a single player. Jeff Reed makes plenty of critical field goals for us. i can live with a loss or two due to 45 and 49 yard FG misses in one of the hardest stadiums to kick in in the NFL.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

i gotta disagree with those that think we should have thrown the ball on 3rd down. Our passing game was pathetic all day & we were very unlikely to get a first down based on how the game had gone to that point. With almost two minutes remaining & Baltimore with no timeouts, the correct call was a run to roll the clock down to just over a minute. You have to believe our Defense 9 out of 10 times makes the stops to win the game. If anything I think our defense played too soft on the final drive.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #30
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,303 Times in 1,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
i gotta disagree with those that think we should have thrown the ball on 3rd down. Our passing game was pathetic all day & we were very unlikely to get a first down based on how the game had gone to that point. With almost two minutes remaining & Baltimore with no timeouts, the correct call was a run to roll the clock down to just over a minute. You have to believe our Defense 9 out of 10 times makes the stops to win the game. If anything I think our defense played too soft on the final drive.
no they shouldn't have thrown it on 3rd down....they should have thrown it on second. play action would have been very effect.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote