Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,121 Posts
Default Ravens-Steelers Recap: Ignoring the Obvious, Some Positives for Pittsburgh

Ravens-Steelers Recap: Ignoring the Obvious, Some Positives for Pittsburgh
Posted on October 3, 2010 by ryan

Bill Parcells used to say that you are what your record says you are. The Steelers are 3-1. That there only loss came against the Ravens in Heinz Field isn’t particularly comforting, but there are a lot of positives to take away from the first month of the season without Big Ben, Sunday’s game included.

* The offensive line has played out of its mind. Charlie Batch had more time to throw against the Ravens than Roethlisberger had for the entire 2009 season. There’s something to be said for a historically beleaguered bunch finally getting it. Down two starters and they managed to keep Batch mostly clean — and more than that, have played a big part in the new, assertive Rashard Mendenhall. This isn’t a top-flight unit and we all know that; but they’re a seasoned group, and thanks to hot-as-hell early-game rotations in Tennessee and Tampa, they’re also a pretty experienced bunch.

* Mendenhall is about to bust out. Hardly revolutionary, I know, but after a tentative start to his career that included a shoulder injury courtesy of Ray Lewis and a Mike Tomlin-ordered deactivation-to-prove-a-point against the Bengals, Rashard has been a much more confident, versatile runner. He beats defenders to the corner, rarely has negative plays, trucks people for tough yards, and can one-cut-and-go for huge chunks. Put differently: one more weapon for Ben when he returns.

* I know Bryant McFadden got beat on the decisive touchdown pitch-and-catch between Joe Flacco and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but it was single coverage, a double move, and Flacco had time. Shit happens. That play aside, the defense — and the defensive backs — hung tough. And no one more so than William Gay. The same dude who exemplified all that was wrong with the secondary last year, has proven that he’s a valuable cog through four games. Gay’s back in the nickel role and that has magically improved his tackling and, apparently, his coverage skills. He was singlehandedly responsible for stopping Derrick Mason and Anquan Boldin on Baltimore’s penultimate drive from the Steelers’ 2-yard line. We shouldn’t lose sight of that despite the loss. And by “we” I mean “me” because I was ready for the Steelers to cut ties with Gay this summer. So, again: my bad, Willie.

Looking for an upside? Here ya go: Pittsburgh has the league’s best defense, a running back on the brink of a huge season, a much better o-line, fantastic specials teams (can’t believe I just wrote that), a crapload of offensive weapons, and, oh yeah, a top-5 NFL quarterback returning to the team to take advantage of all that.

Losing to the Ravens sucks. This isn’t news. But I’m not sweating this one as much as other games. (Like, say, the whuppin’ the Ravens put on the Steelers in Baltimore back in 2006. I’d like to have that permanently erased from my memory.) They beat a 35-year-old nine-year backup and needed 60 minutes to do it. And that’s not to take anything away from Charlie Batch — the guy has been solid in 10 quarters of work — but he’s not Big Ben. That’s great if you’re at a college bar full of drunk coeds, less so when you’re an NFL quarterback.

More silver linings:
- This will quash the 16-0 talk. The mainstream media would have beat it into the ground starting … well, now because Roethlisberger’s back and the team was undefeated without him. We’d hear about it until the Steelers lost, and then we’d have to put up with the subsequent “IS THIS TEAM OVERRATED!?!” gum-flapping to bring the moronic storyline full circle.

- Batch was admirable in fill-in duty, but now that the Steelers are 3-1, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review can take it down a notch with all the crazy talk.

- Ike had a pick. I half-expected an asteroid to hit the Ravens sideline seconds later.

Alright, it’s the bye week, Pittsburgh’s 3-1, and this team isn’t nearly as good as it’s going to be. If it helps distract you from Sunday’s outcome, think about that.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/1...es-pittsburgh/

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Re: Ravens-Steelers Recap: Ignoring the Obvious, Some Positives for Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom
- Ike had a pick. I half-expected an asteroid to hit the Ravens sideline seconds later.
LMFAO
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,589 Times in 1,969 Posts
Default Re: Ravens-Steelers Recap: Ignoring the Obvious, Some Positives for Pittsburgh

also no major injuries on our side, which is always good.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
also no major injuries on our side, which is always good.
I'll take this a few steps further. No major injuries in front of a bye week is by far the most important happening today. Or rather didn't happen.

And with Ike Taylor getting an interception we all have a 'parting of the sea' version of a joke. And if we can find humor in a loss then I'd say we are doing just fine.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
btaylor
Water Boy

Member Number: 16829

we go 15 -1
btaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
we go 15 -1
That is possible if we don't play down.

I just noticed, the Steelers have 3 prime time games against

New Orleans away
Pats Home
Ravens away
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Drizztbob
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4294

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
You ain't kidding...I couldn't believe it. It was thrown right at him...Of course he was responsible for a TD with his retarded penalty and lack of competent coverage.
Drizztbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552

This team will only get better with Ben!
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
1/28/01
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11781

Good game guys......see you in our house now!
1/28/01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
btaylor
Water Boy

Member Number: 16829

we need a new kicker,we need kris back
btaylor is offline   Reply With Quote