Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935
Default Jeff Reed

Am I over reacting or should we bring some new kickers in this week! Is this guy hung over?? What about that short kick to the 35?? This idiot cost us the game!!
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts
Default Re: Jeff Reed

How quickly we forget. Jeff Reed was a huge and monumental to our success the first couple weeks. Hell, he even led the team with the most points leading into Week 3.

Thing is, he BARELY missed a 49 yard field goal in the swirling winds of the open end of Heinz Field. The second 45 yarder was even harder, and he actually kicked the ball where he thought he should but there was less wind and it didn't carry. Those are very tough kicks to make in Heinz, esp in that wind so even though I hold Reed responsible, consider that we had our chances on offense. Reed had a bad game but those kicks weren't gimmes by no means.

But I DO agree on that kickoff to the 35. It actually looked designed, maybe giving our kick units time to cover, but the wind was tough today so I give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
Am I over reacting or should we bring some new kickers in this week! Is this guy hung over?? What about that short kick to the 35?? This idiot cost us the game!!
Yeah...sorry. Not gonna happen.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,738 Posts

National media is starting to take note of Skippy's problems based upon this comment by Don Banks with SI

Just asking, but when exactly will Steelers kicker Jeff Reed start feeling a little job insecurity in the wake of missing a couple more field goals, this time in the loss to the Ravens? Reed is now just 8-of-12 on the year, and he missed a couple tries in Pittsburgh's 15-9 season-opening overtime win against Atlanta -- an extra period the Steelers maybe wouldn't have found necessary if Reed had converted.

I know Heinz Field is the Bermuda Triangle for NFL kickers, but Reed has made just three of seven field goals at home this season, and that's usually a very bad career move. Reed missed only four field goals at home all of last season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Reed's shortcomings as a kicker and person previously were accepted since he was money at Heinz - not any more - at a minimum his contract position has taken a major hit
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Reed's shortcomings as a kicker and person previously were accepted since he was money at Heinz - not any more - at a minimum his contract position has taken a major hit
That I agree with. Either that or they just don't offer him one and bring someone new in next season.

No way do they can him now though and bring someone else in. Just not gonna happen.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,048 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

we do not wanna can him but 3 out of 7 at home!
gotta keep our options open though
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
btaylor
Water Boy

Member Number: 16829

he sucks......too busy trying to be cool
btaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
SteelMusic
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

Honestly, my wife even noticed how he chokes when he needs to hit a big one. I can think all the way back to Chicago last year.

Skippy needs to pull his head out of his ass. I was at Grille 36 and there wasn't that much wind. I say put some heat under his ass.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,358 Times in 3,504 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

so much for a new contract for him. he doesn't deserve it. if he wants top dollar, he has to win us games, not lose them

granted those 2 fg's he missed weren't chip shots by any means, but this guy is asking to be one of the highest paid kickers in the league. If he wants that, he better be clutch or kiss his ass goodbye
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Sleepy

This has been discussed on this forums before and usually the bulk of the comments have been positive(in favor of Reed) , we have had several very good years out of Reed.With all that said it's time to explore other options as kicking is concerned, we should look at this from a reliability standpoint.... sure this loss isn't all Jeff Reeds fault but a veteran kicker who has kicked in Hines field for a while now needs to be more dependable in a game like this where everyone who knows the situation also knows every point counts.Can we really afford 2 missed field goal a game?
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote