Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Of course, it was Arians fault

Of course, it was Arians fault

Monday, October 04, 2010 08:15 AM
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...s-arians-fault

(My online chat at PG+ will begin at noon today. Here is the link: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ob-smizik-chat

Foolish me. I walked away from the Steelers-Ravens game yesterday savoring the high drama, enjoying the fierce competition and chalking it up to one of those days when the other team just had a bit more.

Call me, Mr. Na´ve.

When am I going to learn that the blame for these defeats rest almost solely with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians? As one commenter posted on the game blog:

''Unbelievable how BA can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.''

And here I thought it was Joe Flacco and P. J. Houshmandzadeh who did that on a touchdown pass with less than a minute remaining that gave the Ravens a 17-14 win.

But the definitive take on the offensive coordinator were these words from a commenters specifically addressed to Arians.

''The defense goes out and creates two turnovers for your squad in the second half. You can't even get a first down, let alone any points.''

Again, my bad. I totally missed Arians suiting up and failing to get the crucial first down.

Was it a pass or a run?

These two commenters weren't the only ones who believe Arians was the reason for the defeat. Many did.

We've been down this road before. If the offensive coordinator is all powerful, what does that say about all those great Steelers defenses we've lauded over the years?

Have they only been so great because the other team had inferior game-planning and play-calling?

I think not.

The Baltimore defense did an outstanding job yesterday. They've done it before and they'll do it again.

Attempts to blame Arians for the Steelers failing to capitalize on two third-quarter turnovers are preposterous and anyone who believes that has no understanding of football.

On the first, with the Steelers starting on the Baltimore 27, Arians called two runs and a pass. The runs got three yards and the passing play resulted in a sack.

How is that Arians fault?

Following the second turnover, the Steelers took over on the Baltimore 33. Incompletion, run for 1 yard, incompletion.

How is that Arians fault?

Football is a game more of execution that strategy. Baltimore unexecuted the Steelers.

What some fans don't seem to understand is that not only is there another team on the field, that team actually plays a roll in the outcome of the game.

It's not all about Bruce Arians and the offense and Dick LeBeau and the defense. The other team has coordinators and players, too.

When the Steelers win, does anyone ever say the victory was achieved because the other team was guilty of bad play-calling?

I don't think. They say it was because the Steelers were better.

And yesterday Baltimore was better.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: Of course, it was Arians fault

Can't blame Arians nor any specific individual (Reed included). I stated it in every quarter in yesterday's game ... "The Steelers look really flat today.". This team did not seem to be up for the game. It wasn't total ineptitude, but they just didn't seem to have that fire they have shown all year. I'd rather say this sitting at 3-1 with our starting QB coming back to play the Browns in 2 weeks than after a 5 game losing streak.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

"Team actually plays a roll" ?

My God, these people need a lesson in spellchecking/grammar 101.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso View Post
"Team actually plays a roll" ?

My God, these people need a lesson in spellchecking/grammar 101.
So the person mistaked "roll" for "role" it happens to the best of us, no reason to totally hate the post because of 1 grammer mistake.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Here's my problem with Arians. It's his management of situational football. You can take it back to the very first possession of the game when the offense went predictably 3 and out. The Ravens knew that you have to run to protect your QB and your woeful passing game so you come out running into that wall. Would it kill you to do a quick 3 step drop pass or a play action pass on first down? Instead it was two runs, missed pass and punt. Run, run, pass punt. That's Arians in a nutshell.

When they got the ball deep in Baltimore territory, they did the same. I knew the game was over right there in the third quarter when the offense misguided by Arians walked away with little time off the clock and no points.

Arians just has a bad feel for the game.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
So the person mistaked "roll" for "role" it happens to the best of us, no reason to totally hate the post because of 1 grammer mistake.
Actually, it was the "journalist" that swapped the words... I have to expect a little better from those that write for a living. That's just me, though.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
Actually, it was the "journalist" that swapped the words... I have to expect a little better from those that write for a living. That's just me, though.
I know English majors who have small screw ups like that ... I just don't like how people discredit someone because they make 1 mistake. Like their whole arguement is in shambles because they made a spelling mistake or something.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

2 field goals made and we wouldnt be discussing this right now, not to mention couldnt get a first down to run out the clock. Opposing team had no time outs left. Amazing!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
stuck_in_VA
Water Boy

Member Number: 16108

What can't be overlooked is the gift (2 gifts) Baltimore gave us: one fumble recovery and one interception - both in Ravens territory. All we had to do was pick up some yards to at least have better field position for a field goal. Those were two gifts that should have given us at least 6 points on the board. THAT was on Arians. Perhaps the game would have unfolded differently, but to basically waste away points is troubling with the talent we have on this team.
stuck_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Not Ba's fault. Batch couldn't handle it. All he had to do was put the ball out past Wallce and let him run under it. He beat the corner all day long and Batch under threw it. That will not be happening in the weeks to come!
Leftwhich should've been in when they seen that mismatch, Wallace owned that guy deep.

Def has to stop playing prevent in the late minutes, than blitz with a prevent on, that killed it and left a huge hole the titantic could've floated through, when it didn;t have the hole in it of course.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote