Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,948 Times in 3,010 Posts
Default Re: who to watch at las vegas 400

nascar knew THEY werent gonna put the #48 team in a hole. could jj have wrecked? sure? engine failure? of course. bad pit call by grubb? just as likely as with knaus or any other cc. you think grubb was a complete suprise unknown to anyone outside of the #48 team? nascar knows ALL the people working in the garage. and nascar knows what every team has as far as talent goes. they definitely got their finger on the pulse of the teams and sport.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #22
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Alright, I see that you are very certain of NASCAR's intuitiveness...however, not even Hendrick knew what they had in Grubb...if they did, he would have been sitting on someone else's pit box, whether it be a Busch car or Brian Vickers.

Regardless, you are seeing a vast pro-Hendrick conspiracy where there ain't one, and it's clear through past conversations that nothing will dissuade you of such notions.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #23
tony hipchest

come on suit. just cause im right about johnson not missing a beat doesnt mean im seeing a "vast pro hendrick conspiracy". infact the only people i really saw who thought this would be a significant penalty were mainly hendrick fans. kind of odd, you would think they would be more in tune with their teams.

as far as nascar is concerned im really just pointing out that they are not as clueless or stupid as you make them out to be. and to say not even hendrick knew about grubb is totally off the wall. the dude is young, just like latarte (whose box was he on before gordons?). everybody gets there start somewhere. just like c. knaus was a virtual unknown. hendrick employs 350+ people, all very GOOD people. are you now telling me hendrick doesnt know who he has working for him or their talents? how do you think they were able to lose their head engine builder randy dorton and not miss a beat? you can chalk it up to me hatin on jimmy, i chalk it up to knowing the hendrick org. perhaps more than you give me credit for. its pretty clear to see that jj is not gonna struggle on tracks such as daytona, california, las vegas or atlanta just like if knaus gets suspended for charlotte (where jj has won the last 4 races) he wont slip any there either. i know this and nascar knows this.

just cause i say the sun will rise in the morning doesnt mean i believe theres a conspiracy against the moon. its common knowledge that nascar takes care of those who have made the sport what it is, whether its roush, dei, hendrick, childress, penske, or veterans such as rusty, dale sr, jarrett, waltrip, gordon, petty, etc. not quite a conspiracy but definitely knowing where your bread is buttered.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 03-14-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #24
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

The penalty was designed to take points indirectly, by weakening the team and taking away the best guy in the business at making in-race adjustments, instead of directly stripping points (which pisses sponsors off). Regardless, had Knaus been caught post-race, NASCAR would have stripped points.

To think that the number 2 guy on the box was good enough to duplicate what the best pit crew chief in the business was capable of, and that NASCAR knew as much, is, again, absurd.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #25
tony hipchest

thats not nearly as absurd as saying hendrick had no idea in what he had with grubb.

the penalty is a deterrent, just like the fine. you think the fine was designed to take food off the table? nascar dont "indirectly" take points away. they either take them or they dont. the penalty is there more to punish the crew chief not the team as you contend what you think the penalty was designed to do is an opinion just like a non champion winning crewcheif being the best in the game.

but yeah i guess im absurd for knowing grubb could do exactly what he did and since everyone in nascar is stupider than me for not being able to come to that conclusion on their own. keep in mind if i was wrong i would give props to knaus for being much more important than i gave him credit for. then again i know there will be races where his expertice is greatly needed and grubb cant carry the weight. daytona, lv, calif, and atl. just arent those races.

i bet you if you got several folks heavilly involved in nascar in a room for an off the record conversation (say m. helton, humpy wheeler, j. roush and hendrick) and asked if they would be suprised if jj won 2 of these first 4 races without knaus you would have 4 people say they werent suprised at all.

i do know im right and you should be able to accept the compliment and my recognition of what it takes to put a great TEAM together in nascar instead of trying to spin me as some absurd hater on an anti jimmie/hendrick agenda. like i said most people knew the "penalty" wasnt gonna hurt the team and most people were dead on right including those on the inside of nascar and those with knowledge of the inner workings of the teams and their dynamics.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #26
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
The penalty was designed to take points indirectly, by weakening the team and taking away the best guy in the business at making in-race adjustments, instead of directly stripping points (which pisses sponsors off). Regardless, had Knaus been caught post-race, NASCAR would have stripped points.
You hit the nail on the head right there, Suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
infact the only people i really saw who thought this would be a significant penalty were mainly hendrick fans. kind of odd, you would think they would be more in tune with their teams.
I don't think this is odd at all. Using your logic, tony, I suppose we, as Steelers fans, should not get upset if Cowher is ever ejected from a game, or be upset if the Steelers get a significant penalty. That doesn't mean Steelers fans "aren't in touch with their team." Of course fans of Hendrick Motorsports, and Jimmie specifically, were going to be upset.

With that said, Grubb hasn't "cheated" during his reign, and Jimmie is still winning races! So, without further ado...

"... I want to dedicate it to all the haters of the 48 team." ~ Jimmie Johnson

And then there's Jimmie's victory this past Sunday, also under Grubb...

Yes, he's that good...(lol)!

And, tony... You are a Jimmie hater. You've admitted as much. In fact, I think you've admitted that it's your "job" to hate Hendrick Motorsports, or something of the like. I can pull the quote again for you if you would like.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #27
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

The funny part is, all I read after Knaus was suspended was that Jimmie would suffer because the tracks coming up were tracks that needed a guy who could make adjustments on, and Knaus was the best...and I wasn't reading this at blogs or message boards, but from people like Marty Snyder and Lee Spencer and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
but yeah i guess im absurd for knowing grubb could do exactly what he did and since everyone in nascar is stupider than me for not being able to come to that conclusion on their own.
From 2/25:

Quote:
darkhorses include: mark martin (who should never really be looked at as a darkhorse),
kasey kahne, jimmie johnson (only a darkhorse cause he is w/o knaus), and jamie mcmurray who has excellent equipment.
From 2/13:

Quote:
it looks like they will wait until after the 500 to decide the length of the penalties which means if johnson sucks in the race knaus will be welcomed back. if he does real well they may suspend him another race or 2 just to prove a point. last thing they wanna do is hurt jj's chances by over penalizing his cheating crewcheif.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #28
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
You hit the nail on the head right there, Suit.

I don't think this is odd at all. Using your logic, tony, I suppose we, as Steelers fans, should not get upset if Cowher is ever ejected from a game, or be upset if the Steelers get a significant penalty. That doesn't mean Steelers fans "aren't in touch with their team." Of course fans of Hendrick Motorsports, and Jimmie specifically, were going to be upset.

And, tony... You are a Jimmie hater. You've admitted as much. In fact, I think you've admitted that it's your "job" to hate Hendrick Motorsports, or something of the like. I can pull the quote again for you if you would like.
"i think" yes please do. go find a post where i admitted i would gladly engage in smack about team hendrick, or something like that. but this isnt smack, this is facts. and im glad you brought up cowher. this isnt about being upset about a penalty or losing a coach. this is about knowing what youre team is capable of rebounding from. i KNOW hendricks team potential, capabilities, talent and history at the 4 tracks knaus was suspended for. as do most people. as does nascar.

if cowher was suspended for 2 games i would be PISSED but i would expect NO dropoff what so ever. because i know the right people are in place to sail the ship till he gets back. total confidence in lebeau, wisenhunt and most importantly russ grimm (cowher has already stated grimm would take over hc duties as part of his asst. hc job) its all part of being a great TEAM. i cant believe you and suit dont see this and thought the c. knaus suspension was gonna be so devastating. jeeezzzzz. 2 wins and what a second? talk about overdramatic.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #29
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
i cant believe you and suit dont see this and thought the c. knaus suspension was gonna be so devastating. jeeezzzzz. 2 wins and what a second? talk about overdramatic.
Again, I was not alone. In analyzing what the experts had to say, even what the rumors were on Jayski, the scuttlebutt was that losing Knaus would hurt. It's easy in 20/20 hindsight to say that the 48 team was fine, but almost nobody thought that until well after the fact.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #30
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Quote:
"i think" yes please do. go find a post where i admitted i would gladly engage in smack about team hendrick, or something like that.
(sigh) OK... Well, per your request...

Quote:
just a warning. i like to trash team hendrick about as much as i do the patriots. the gordon comment was just bait. he got through insp. and got the outside pole. (any suprise?) the same cant be said for cheatin' jimmy! now im a rusty fan so i am pretty unbiassed when i say i think it was pretty rediculous of the hordes of fans (many hendrick) who insinuated that dei was getting hot plates.
And another in your last post...(lol).

Quote:
2 wins and what a second? talk about overdramatic.
And then, of course, there are those that Suit quoted above.

But what do I know? I'm just some dumb chick who remembers to put their lineup in every week in the SF NASCAR Fantasy League, and I don't spend nearly as much time on my computer as you. (shrugs)
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote