Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts
Default saints are hot for drew brees

sirius radio has been talking about the potential of this deal for the past 2 days. this could really change the f.a. outlook and especially the draft for about 5-7 teams. its been assumed that the saints would just draft leinart. if they bring in brees their best bet would be to trade out of the position and get a deal like the chargers did for eli.

shake ups like this potentially make this time of year really exciting as opposed to talking about collective bargaining negotiation breakdowns.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: saints are hot for drew brees

Yeah - and now I hear Culpepper is on his way to Miami...will this still make them the certainty for the AFC East they were when Bress was on his way there?

Looks like things are starting to hot up in FA.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

To answer your question livinginthe past, yes . The pats r declining with the player they owe their 3 super bowls too(yes i said it... vinaterie basically won them all those games) being a free agent, if i remember correctly their receivers r both free agents. Their defense has never been the same since 04 and is only getting worse without willy m. Culpepper in Miami sounds like a pretty good fit, that will be interesting to see though. They could be pretty dangerous with pep, chambers and brown.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Yeah - and now I hear Culpepper is on his way to Miami...will this still make them the certainty for the AFC East they were when Bress was on his way there?

Looks like things are starting to hot up in FA.

NM
i heard the raiders were balking at giving up a 2nd round pick (it is a high 2nd rounder)

miami has already proven they will give up a 2nd rounder for jay feeley and they will still have frerotte until daunta heals. trent green has had a nice career after his knee injury. if pep goes to miami he could be there for years to come. good thing it wasnt his arm that was hurt cause in the long run i think culpepper will be better than brees.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I'm sure Drew Brees will be excited about going to New Orleans, huh?

Sheesh, talk about an unfortunate time to not be able to work something out with your employer.

He leaves LaDainian Tomlinson, one of the (if not THE) best TEs in the league and a formula that's close in the AFC West.

Marty Schott went to school at Ft Cherry HS, and I think about him every time I play golf next to the high school when the team is practicing. It really is a shame what he allowed to happen to the Bolts down the stretch. They worried me all year. The Monday Night Game with them I honestly thought might be a precursor of the AFC Championship game.

I'm glad it wasn't, to be honest. They had a scary amount of talent.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

And NO losing their best offensive lineman is not going to sweeten the deal at all for Brees.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz
I'm sure Drew Brees will be excited about going to New Orleans, huh?
Apparently he's not too upset about going to New Orleans...I mean this isn't the draft, he does have a choice of who he would like to sign with.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

He'll learn soon enough. The threat of his running game in SD would be enough for any decent QB worth his salt to succeed. Tomlinson? Then, aside from his wide receivers, he has a tight end who puts up damned good WR numbers? Gates is incredible.

He will have very, VERY significantly less to work with in New Orleans. Subjecting himself to that is another way of saying "I've established my peak value, and I'm milking my free agency for all it's worth."

It's a shame, really. I've wanted Marty to do well there.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Actually, if Rivers does completely fail at being our QB this year, I would LOVE nothing more than to see the Saints win the SB next year with Brees. I would laugh for days at how stupid Aj Smith is. Then maybe cry a little.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiSteeler
To answer your question livinginthe past, yes . The pats r declining with the player they owe their 3 super bowls too(yes i said it... vinaterie basically won them all those games) being a free agent, if i remember correctly their receivers r both free agents. Their defense has never been the same since 04 and is only getting worse without willy m. Culpepper in Miami sounds like a pretty good fit, that will be interesting to see though. They could be pretty dangerous with pep, chambers and brown.
Thats interesting analysis for sure.

Every team has injuries, its just the Patriots have more than most - if you look at the period towards the end of last year, playoffs included, the D were back to being one of the most imposing units in the league.

The game against Denver was another strong showing - basically we stopped the Bronco running game in its tracks - the problem being that our Offense kept on giving theirs great field position.

You'd think that you would be able to spell Vinatieri's name correctly - since he won 3 SB's all by himself - after all, he is the only player to ever play all the positions on a football team......at the same time.

Culpepper would be a nice match for Miami - im guessing you would prefer to have the Dolphins coming to Pittsburgh in the playoffs - its no fun getting beat with HFA everytime by the same team is it?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote