Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,023 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default is the nfl punishing the steeles?

You think the NFL and the TV networks are punishing the Steelers for Ben's actions
I'm in Arkansas and when we played the titans(im about 3 hours for there) cbs showed a boring game that really was not worth watching, then next titans game vs denver, the game is on even though they had said that the game of the week would be Steelers raven for most of the country' and 2 day ago theres this guy on espn radio talking about how the league will penalize team for bad behavior of their players and it kinda made sense. you guys think there s any truth to that?
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: is the nfl punishing the steeles?

No, the League will do what makes them the most money. Not sure how local programing works in your area and if a particular team (Titans) has priority. I live in Charlotte, NC where the local t.v. only shows the Carolina Panthers when they play ... since they play at 1 p.m. most Sundays, I have to go somewhere to catch the Steelers (too cheap to buy the Ticket).

Also, the Patriots are the greatest cheaters in the history of the league ... they didn't miss too much t.v. time.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,050 Times in 3,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

they're all out to get us :P
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
HAWK
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12888

They probably assume with the 3rd string QBs in that the games would be total crap. It was quite the opposite.

The NFL is going to air the most "exciting" games....at least on paper.
HAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
24seven
Starter

Member Number: 525

James Harrison said last week it basically is going to come down to who's more violent.. If that doesn't spark some kind of interest then nothing will. Ravens Steelers seems like a logical pick even if your not a fan of either team. But Kirklandrules is right.. Your gonna see the "most local" team games broadcast far more than the others. In Montana it was Denver. In Oregon it'sSeattle.. blech.. But Sunday ticket has been my buddy for 10 years now. And I don't think there is any conspiracy here. I've actually felt like Ben's been defended alot by the broadcasters and even the commish.. Keeping it to 4 games wasn't the only option.. Someones to thank for that .. Just sucks we gotta wait another week to see him in action. Can't wait!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

The league would only be penalizing itself if it thought the Steelers "deserved" to be restricted to a smaller viewing area and therefore depressed TV ratings by showcasing a game such as Browns-Bengals or Bills-Jags instead - Steelers get the same TV $$ either way. The punishment to which the person you heard probably was referring was fining a team (or sitting its franchise QB out for 4 games) for player misconduct

Fact is with #7 out the match-up simply is not as attractive because the Steelers are not as good a team. It is why all prime time games and the national doubleheader game featuring the Steelers were scheduled this year for after #7's return.

It is your rotten luck the NFL probably regards Arkansas as part of the Titans viewing area since you are across the river from Tennessee - same reason Atlanta often gets Jags and Titans games on the CBS affiliate although neither team has a following here
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

It might be tinfoil hat time.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

The TV stations wouldn't penalize the Steelers. They want the best ratings possible. If your local team is on that's what you'll get. 75 mile radius, I think. If you're outside of that, the station will likely go with the best rating. My guess is you're close enough to Nashville that the station considers them regional.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
SteelerinLA
Water Boy

Member Number: 16986

I will gripe about this-last weekend for instance. All week-it said on the channel guide-Ravens v. Steelers. Friday, it changed to regional coverage. Sunday, it changed to some sort of sports show with Bull riding to follow until the 300 pm game kickoff. I live in Louisiana, by the way. Normally, the Mannings rule the airwaves, but this was different. Oh well, packed up and hit the Buffalo Wild Wings. We have more fans in that restaurant than the Saints.
SteelerinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerinLA View Post
I will gripe about this-last weekend for instance. All week-it said on the channel guide-Ravens v. Steelers. Friday, it changed to regional coverage. Sunday, it changed to some sort of sports show with Bull riding to follow until the 300 pm game kickoff. I live in Louisiana, by the way. Normally, the Mannings rule the airwaves, but this was different. Oh well, packed up and hit the Buffalo Wild Wings. We have more fans in that restaurant than the Saints.
That's the way it is in Charlotte. All week you see CBS advertise a Steelers game, but on game day they have a program of some old lady selling a sewing machine. The only game on, during what normally is a double-header, is the Carolina Panthers playing on FOX. I grew up near Syracuse, NY (3 hours from Buffalo) and the only games shown were Bills games. So you are just experiencing what the NFL is pushing for "local" programming.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote