Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #91
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,130 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

So from the report today, all injured players skated today and goalie is a game-time decision.

Penguins Report: Game Day vs. Ottawa
Monday, 10.18.2010 / 9:01 AM/ Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540854&navid=DL|PIT|home

Staal, Asham, Orpik and Michalek skate. Details at 9:04 AM entry
__________________________________________________ ________________________

12:03 PM:
Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma…

On who will start in goal Monday night
:
We’ll go game-time (decision).

On his plan for the goaltenders:
You make a plan at the beginning of the year. And every month, you make a plan for the month. And probably every month it gets adjusted. Sometimes it’s for different reasons, so we’re not far off the plan that we set up.

On seeing Sergei Gonchar running the Ottawa power play
:
Just watching the video of the Senators, it’s weird seeing him and seeing the numbers and seeing him back in his spot. Gonchar played a lot for the Capitals, too. But it’s going to be tough to not think he’s wearing a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey when we see him out there on the power play. He was a great player for us and he did a lot of great things for us.

On Alex Goligoski’s great start:

I’m not entirely surprised. I was maybe more surprised with last year’s start than this year’s start. But he’s got unique skating ability and offensive ability. I think the thing he’s done the best this year is playing in a new spot on the power play, because of his smarts and ability to read the power play. I think his shot now is a threat, more than where it was three years ago. He really worked on that hard. You might not have said at the beginning of the year that this guy’s got a threat with his shot, but I think now you would. That’s something he’s added to his offense as well.

On the team missing shots
:
We didn’t think about it last year when you pointed out that Kris Letang missed a lot of shots. It’s probably more attention to detail and our execution. One thing I’m still getting used to, and it’s a little scary out on the ice, is some of the caroms off the boards. They’re lively, even on some of the indirects in the neutral zone. There are some lively bounces. It can give you a break or vice versa. That’s been the one spot during the games that I’ve talked about is those indirects and those hard bounces off the boards. It’s not just behind the goal line.

On Orpik’s injury:
I don’t have an update on that one. But he’s working out and that’s where he’s at. And I actually mean day-to-day on this one. So I’m hoping he gets back soon.

On how the team is playing:
I don’t think we’ve played our best hockey, we’re not taking advantages of some opportunities with the puck. We can get better in that area, with our scoring opportunities. But that’s pretty much been standard through our first six games. I don’t think there’s a difference in how we’ve played.

On if the team plays more relaxed when Marc-Andre Fleury is in goal:

Maybe I watch the games too closely, but I don’t see that. I just look for the details of our game. But our scoring chances against are close to the same. We’ve given up some quality ones where Brent has had to come up with some big saves. Like in Philly, he comes up with a breakaway save. So I don’t sense that.

12:00 PM:
The big story of the day is Sergei Gonchar's return to Pittsburgh.

Some other pics...

Former Pen Jarkko Ruutu (left) with a nice shiner

Long-time Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson (left)

11:57 AM:
The Senators forward combos at their skate were:
Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Shannon-Regin-Kovalev
Foligno-Fisher-Winchester
Neil-Kelly-Ruutu

11:05 AM:
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that the starting goalie against the Senators will be a game-time decision.

10:57 AM:

10:50 AM:
The Penguins are holding their annual "Hockey Fights Cancer" game Monday night against Ottawa. Last week, Maxime Talbot, whose mother has battled cancer, visited the Hillman Cancer Center.

10:38 AM:
The Penguins lines at the morning skate Monday (no surprises) were:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Rupp-Letestu/Adams-Godard

Martin-Letang
Goligoski-Lovejoy
Engelland-Hutchinson

10:09 AM:
The Penguins welcome back former teammate Sergei Gonchar for his first return trip to Pittsburgh as a member of the Ottawa Senators. Gonchar's return will be the focal point of the game, but there are a lot of other interesting elements involved. Check out Jason Seidling's game preview for all you need to know about tonight's matchup.

9:04 AM:
The Penguins four injured players are all on the ice. Forwards Jordan Staal and Arron Asham and defensemen Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek all skated at CONSOL Energy Center early Monday morning before the Penguins morning skate.

Brooks Orpik (left); Zbynek Michalek, Arron Asham and Jordan Staal (right)

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #92
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Mike Richards is a freaking crybaby toolbag.

[YOUTUBE]YD-4iQppj2I[/YOUTUBE]

What a fantastic leader lol.

[YOUTUBE]_Co4oTl87Yk[/YOUTUBE]

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #93
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Been a great game against Ottawa so far! Pens are in the lead 3-0 with goals coming from Letestu (PP), Crosby (PP) and Malkin. And a fight between Engelland and O'Neil.

Johnson is in goal again tonight (and doing a fantastic job again)...I'm a bit worried about this though and wonder if this well eventually set Fleury up to fail. They were discussing it on the radio earlier today, and made a good point by saying that backups are used to having to play well on short notice (meaning they're used to having a lot of down time and then have to play well), but starting goalies aren't used to going so long w/o playing. I just hope this doesn't backfire. I mean, if we're going to have Johnson in the starting role, we might as well just move Fleury to the minors and defer his cap hit and bring in a couple guys to fill in for injured players.

I just don't know where Bylsma plans on going with this at all right now.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #94
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Great second period as well...it is 5-1 Pens right now, with the last two goals coming from Dupuis and Letang. Elliot was pulled from goal in favor of some 19 year old Swedish kid who's only seen a couple minutes of league time.

Late in the period though, Johnson took a 4 minute minor for high sticking (kind of a bs call, but they've gotta be consistent I guess), so there's gonna be a little bit over 3 minutes to kill on that at the start of the third.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #95
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Not a whole lot happened in the third except for Johnson standing on his head for most of the game (one did get by him from Campoli though).

5-2 Final score...PP (for the most part) looked a lot better and Johnson continues his hot streak in net.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #96
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Wonder when Fleury gets his next start, and how he responds?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #97
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

It is interesting to see how Bylsma will handle the goalie situation.

Personally, I think he should stick with Johnson.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #98
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Good news on the injury front today...Staal, Orpik and Asham all practiced with the team today. There's still no talk of a timetable for Staal to come back, but I think it will be sooner than later if he's already skating with the team.

Only thing I'm worried about with him is how long will it take (once he's back) to really get back into the groove of the game. Talbot was never really the same at all last season after coming off his surgery, missing training camp and the start of the season. I hope it doesn't take Staal as long.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #99
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Aftermath: Penguins 5, Senators 2
Monday, 10.18.2010 / 10:33 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

The Penguins welcomed back former defenseman Sergei Gonchar to Pittsburgh by putting together their most dominating performance of the young season. The Penguins’ offense exploded for five goals, chasing Senators goaltender Brian Elliott from the net, and cruising to a 5-2 victory.

The Penguins got the show rolling with a couple power-play goals in the first period to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Mark Letestu continued his hot scoring pace with his fourth of the season, and Sidney Crosby notched his fourth tally with assistance from the backboards.

Gonchar did record an assist on Daniel Alfredsson’s man-advantage goal early in the second period to cut the Penguins’ lead to 3-1. However, Pittsburgh responded with two goals within 25 seconds to put the game out of reach.

Rookie Mark Letestu had another silly good performance for the Penguins. The first-year center jumpstarted the Penguins’ 5-2 victory with the game’s opening goal at 8:39 on the power play with a wicked wrist shot.

Letestu got some ice time with Evgeni Malkin and Mike Comrie, and played a huge role in the Penguins’ third goal of the night. He started by winning a faceoff in the offensive zone, won a puck battle for possession and then drove to the net. Letestu’s traffic helped free Evgeni Malkin to score the goal.

Letestu finished the game with one goal, two points, a plus-1 rating, two shots and 15:43 minutes of ice time. He has a three-game point streak (2G-3A), and has points in five of the Penguins’ seven games this season.

The Penguins’ victory over Ottawa was never in doubt. Pittsburgh started hot out the gate, and it was a power-play goal 8:39 into the first period that launched the Penguins to their route.

Mike Comrie had the puck by the goal line and made a beautiful pass through a couple skates right onto the tape of Mark Letestu in the high slot. Letestu ripped a shot high over the glove of Senators goalie Brian Elliott.

Pittsburgh used that first goal’s momentum as a springboard to victory.

(AP) - Sidney Crosby and Mark Letestu scored power-play goals in the first period and the Penguins won their third in a row, ruining defenseman Sergei Gonchar's return to Pittsburgh by beating the slow-starting Ottawa Senators 5-2 on Monday night.

Evgeni Malkin also scored as the Penguins won their fourth in five games since losing three of their first four games. All three of those losses were in the new Consol Energy Center, where the Penguins have since won their past two.

• The Penguins have won three straight games, and four of their last five contests; Sidney Crosby has a four-game scoring streak (4G-3A); Evgeni Malkin has a four-game scoring streak (1G-4A); and Paul Martin has a three-game assist streak (3A).

Brent Johnson put together another ridiculous performance with 32 saves to improve to a perfect 4-0 on the season. Johnson, who has started in net for Pittsburgh the last three games and four of the last five games, has an eye-popping 1.49 goals-against average and .950 save percentage. Johnson’s 4-0 record is his best start to a season since 2000-01 when he opened the year with seven wins.

Alex Goligoski picked up an assist against Ottawa, extending his scoring streak to seven games. Goligoski’s current streak ties his career high (Oct. 14-30, 2009). He has a point in each of the first seven games of the season for a total of seven points (3G-4A). Goligoski also logged a team-high 24:00 minutes and three blocked shots.

Deryk Engelland continued to make a name for himself in the NHL as a tough, fearless brawler. Engelland, who previously KO’d heavyweight Colton Orr, went toe-to-toe against Ottawa’s Chris Neil. Neither man landed a clear victory, but Engelland showed again his willingness to take on any adversary.

• According to the Post-Gazette’s Seth Rorabaugh, with an assist Monday night Sergei Gonchar has a seven-game scoring streak against the Penguins (dating to his days in Washington before he signed with Pittsburgh). The Penguins obviously have no way of stopping this guy (other than signing him to a long-term contract). Joke credit to Seth.

#1. Mark Letestu
Center - 10

2 power-play goals
1 assist
8 shots on goal

#2. Evgeni Malkin
Right Wing - 71

1 goal (GW)
1 assist
4 shots

#3. Brent Johnson
Goaltender - 1

4th straight win
32 saves on 34 shots

Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #100
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Improved Timing and Conditioning Next Step For Staal, Orpik and Asham
Tuesday, 10.19.2010 / 4:07 PM / Features
By Jason Seidling
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

The Takeaway:
Jordan Staal (foot), Arron Asham (upper-body) and Brooks Orpik (upper-body) returned to practice on Tuesday.
Zbynek Michalek (upper-body) skated on his own again in the morning with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar.
All three players gave favorable reports on their injuries following practice.
Head coach Dan Bylsma did not offer up a timetable on each player’s return, but did say Orpik is the closest to returning.
Conditioning and timing are going to be the key factors as to when each player is ready to play.

If the grind of playing – and winning – three games in four nights had the Penguins feeling a bit fatigued as they took the ice for practice on Tuesday morning at the Iceoplex at Southpointe, the players had to feel at least a bit energized when they saw what greeted them.

Three-fourths of the squad’s walking wounded – forwards Jordan Staal (foot) and Arron Asham (upper-body), along with defenseman Brooks Orpik (groin) – joined the team at practice for the first time since each exited the lineup with injuries.

“It was a great feeling no question about it,” Staal said. “Not only was it nice to get back, but it was nice to be back with the guys. It was a lot of fun.”

“It’s been a long week,” Orpik said. “It’s never fun watching. You never want to be watching, but it makes it a little more enjoyable when the team is winning.”

“It's good to be around the guys, especially being new to the team,” Asham added. “It's tough not being around. We have this road trip coming up and I'm close to being back, so it's nice.”

The fourth injured Penguin – defenseman Zbynek Michalek (upper-body), continued to skate on his own with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar prior to practice.

While Staal, Asham and Orpik were able to get through the entire workout, and looked good doing so, it is still probably going to be a little longer before we see any of three return to game action.

“I don’t have a real timetable right now,” said head coach Dan Bylsma when asked about Staal’s status. “But you can see with the way he is skating out there that we aren’t talking about the first of January either.

“(Orpik and Asham) skated hard (Monday). Today was their first bit of hard contact. We’ll see how they are. I think Brooks Orpik is a lot farther along than Arron Asham right now.”

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was encouraged by progress he saw made by the injured trio on Tuesday.

“It didn’t even look like they have missed too much time,” Crosby said. “Everybody is skating well and seems to be in good shape. That’s a good sign for us and them. The sooner we get them back the better.”

After talking with each of the three following practice, it sounds as if getting their timing and conditioning up to game speed is the final hurdle each player has to clear before they will be ready to resume live action.

“It’s going to be a day-by-day thing how I feel out there,” said Staal, whose recovery from a foot injury only recently allowed him to begin off-ice training, let alone skating. “I have to be in shape to be able to play at this kind of level. We’ll see how it goes.

“I always think I can play tomorrow, but that’s always the way I am going to think. I have to be smart about it. When the time is right and when everybody agrees, I’ll be ready to play.”

“Games and practices are a lot different,” Orpik said. “I need a few practices in timing wise and conditioning wise. With the way this group is playing right now, there is no rush to get me back in there.

“When you take a week off, it takes you a couple of days to get your conditioning back. Besides that, the actual injury feels pretty good.”

“It’s all about getting my timing and my legs back, and waiting for the body to get close to 100 percent,” Asham said. “Then I'll get out there and start playing.”

Closed Thread