Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #101
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

Surging Penguins visit struggling Predators
Wednesday, 10.20.2010 / 10:21 PM Matthew Mankiewich - NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

PENGUINS (4-3-0) at PREDATORS (3-0-2)

TV -- FS-Pittsburgh (HD), FS-Tennessee (HD)

Season series -- The usual inter-conference one-shot deal, the last time these two teams met was back in February at the Igloo, a 4-3 win by Nashville. Historically, the Preds have had the Pens' number, holding a 9-4-0 advantage, including five consecutive wins at Bridgestone Arena.

Big story -- One team is getting hot, one is cooling off. After jumping out to a 3-0 start, the Predators have dropped a pair of games in overtime, 3-2 to the Capitals and 1-0 to the Flames, while the Penguins have won four of five after losing their first two. They're coming off a 5-1 victory at Philadelphia on Saturday.

Team Scope

Penguins -- Ask coach Dan Bylsma who his No. 1 goalie is, and he'll tell you it's Marc-Andre Fleury. However, Bylsma hasn't been afraid to run backup Brent Johnson out there for three straight games, and it's paid off with wins. So will he do it a fourth straight time?

"Flower's (Fleury's) going to play 60-plus games and win a lot of hockey games for us," Bylsma said after practice Wednesday. "The way Johnny has played is that he stepped in and won some games for us, so we know that when he goes in there he's going to give us a great game."

"It's Flower's team, everyone knows that," Johnson said. "It's important right now that if I am looked upon to get in there, I try to get the job done."

Predators -- The good news out of that Calgary game was Pekka Rinne's 34-save performance after being injured in the third period of the season opener Oct. 9.

"I've been practicing pretty well the last few days, and I only missed three games, so it was not a huge break," Rinne said. "I was a little more nervous than usual, but it was still a good game for me."

A home win will especially come in handy as the Predators play their next 11 of 13 on the road.

Who's hot -- No small part of the Penguins' resurgence is due to the recent play of their two stars, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Crosby has seven of his eight points in his last four games, including a goal and an assist Monday. Malkin equaled his teammate's output Monday night and has five of his six points in the same four-game stretch.

Injury report -- Brooks Orpik (groin) has been out five games, but he, Jordan Staal (foot), Arron Asham (shoulder) and Zbynek Michalek (shoulder) skated Wednesday before the rest of the team. Only Orpik is expected back during this current three-game road trip. "I actually mean 'day to day' on this one," Bylsma said in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. … Preds defenseman Ryan Suter left the Calgary game in the first period with a lower-body injury, which put him on IR for three games, expecting to be back for the St. Louis game Oct. 28.

Stat pack -- After going 4-for-13 on the power play their first three games, the Predators have gone 0-for-11 in the last two. Steve Sullivan recorded 4 goals and an assist his first three games, but has been off the board his last two.

Puck drop -- "He's still got a lot of progress to make off the ice, training-wise, and on the ice, conditioning-wise. We still have to make sure that happens for him. There's not a real time frame right now, but you can tell by the way he's out there that we're not talking the first of January." -- Penguins coach Dan Bylsma on when Jordan Staal may return
Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #102
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Fleury will be starting again tonight...better make it good Flower!

Quote:
Penguins Notebook: Fleury expected to face Predators
Thursday, October 21, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Marc-Andre Fleury is expected to be in goal when the Penguins visit Nashville at 8:08 tonight for the start of a three-game road trip.

And even though backup Brent Johnson started -- and won -- the past three games, coach Dan Bylsma reiterated that Fleury is the Penguins' go-to goaltender.

"There's a ton of games left, and Marc-Andre Fleury is going to be the guy who plays 60-plus games for us," he said.

Fleury hasn't played since a 4-3 loss to Toronto Oct. 13, and said, "I've tried to have some good practices" to keep an edge on his game while he has backed up Johnson.

He also said he was pleased that Johnson played as well as he did.

"It's good, definitely," Fleury said. "It's great. He gave us a chance to win every night. And we did win and got some big points."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10294...#ixzz1315RmyMf
Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #103
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Another fun game tonight.

No wonder I get depressed when it isn't hockey season. The game is perfect and I'll never understand why it isn't more popular than it is.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #104
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I watched the Preds broadcast - - they were stunned to see a possible 2 man advantage turn into a Pens PP over the Malkin hit along the boards.

Fleury is still shaky as hell - - I would have pulled him after the 2nd goal - - he looked that bad.

Sid and Geno are warming up though.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #105
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Yeah, Fleury was a little shaky to start, but ended up making some huge saves too. It shouldn't have gone into OT (he only stopped 21/24 shots in regulation), but hopefully this is the confidence boost he needs to keep playing well. Nashville's a tough team to beat too, especially on the road. Pens haven't won there in like 6 years now. So, I give him credit for that.

That game was excellent though, glad to see everyone playing well against a real good team...and my boy Engelland got in another fight.

[YOUTUBE]Rt_cMWMnlbk[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #106
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Yeah that was a good game - Pens kept the speed up the whole game and Sid was SHOOTING!!! OMG!!!
I never had any doubt they would win- it was just a matter of time, they had tons of shots on the open ice and were relentless. Loved to see Malkin and Sid working the PP, they were scary good.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #107
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Orpik expected back on Saturday...

Quote:
1:57 PM (CENTRAL TIME):
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that he expects defenseman Brooks Orpik to return to the lineup Saturday night in St. Louis. Orpik has been out since Oct. 10 with a groin strain.

"I haven’t talked to Brooks, but hopefully (Saturday) will be the day for him to get back in there."
More updates from today...

Quote:
2:14 PM (CENTRAL TIME):
Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma...

On Crosby, Goligoski and Letang missing practice:
It’s just maintenance days for the guys that weren’t on the ice. I haven’t talked to Brooks, but hopefully (Saturday) will be the day for him to get back in there.

On finding a roster spot for Orpik:
With Brooks coming back, obviously one defenseman will have to come out.

On the benefit of attending Friday’s St. Louis-Chicago game:
We normally get what we call the “A” game on tape and look at it on tape. To have a chance to go in person, you get a feel of the game and you’ll see the tendencies of the team. Like Nashville is a team that likes to start hard. They’ve been doing that well. When you go to the game, those are tendencies that you get a better feel for. We’ll be looking for some of those.

On pairing Crosby and Malkin together:
A couple times early they were favorable defensive pair matchups. Shea and Boullion were off the ice. I thought it was a good time to get a favorable matchup, one they didn’t want to have. They were going pretty well together and feeding off each other we just kept it. Early in the game it was matchup-based.

On Malkin being a beast:
I played them together and got the tying goal. I did go that last few minutes away, then back in the last minute of the game. In overtime they wanted to be out there together. It was pretty amazing stuff to watch them work and feed off each other. One of them draws so much attention. When the two are playing like that it opens up so much space for the other guy.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #108
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Aftermath: Penguins 4, Predators 3 OT
Thursday, 10.21.2010 / 11:30 PM/ Features
By Jason Seidling
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=541215&navid=DL|PIT|home

Pittsburgh’s 4-3 overtime victory on Thursday night was about the Penguins establishing the type of identity head coach Dan Bylsma expects from his hockey team.

The Penguins fell behind, 1-0, just 53 seconds into the contest, but they didn’t let that steer them from ‘getting to their game.’

To a man, the Penguins invested themselves for 60-plus minutes, with each of the 18 skaters and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury perfectly executing his own individual role. The result was Pittsburgh totally outplaying Nashville over the final two-plus periods.

Fleury made every key save the Penguins needed in goal, stopping 21 shots, while Pittsburgh’s offensive superstars did their job at the other end. Sidney Crosby (2G-1A) and Evgeni Malkin (1G-1A) were threats to score every time they stepped onto the ice, while the red-hot Kris Letang scored the game-winning goal in overtime and added two helpers.

On this night it was more than just the stars. The fourth line of Eric Tangradi-Craig Adams-Mike Rupp established a forechecking presence early and allowed the Penguins to re-take the momentum after Nashville started strong. Pascal Dupuis knocked a potential goal out of the crease in overtime less than a minute before Letang’s winner. Defensemen Deryk Engelland, Andrew Hutchinson and Ben Lovejoy all played solid if unspectacular defense to keep the Penguins in the game long enough for the big guns to strike.

Kris Letang

The Penguins’ defensive corps has been at the forefront of the team’s current four-game winning streak. Perhaps no blueliner is playing better right now than Kris Letang. The 23-year-old Montreal, Quebec native was the star of the night for Pittsburgh on Thursday, scoring his second goal of the season in overtime and adding two assists during regulation to post his first three-point effort of the year.

Letang, who is now tied with Colorado’s Jean-Michael Liles for the scoring lead among defensemen with eight points (2G-6A), finished the night with four shots, one blocked shot and a plus-2 rating in 26:35 minutes of ice time. Letang’s plus-9 rating on the season ranks second (tied) in the NHL.

Letang is now riding a three-game scoring streak which has seen him pick up six points (2G-4A).

When Nashville’s Patric Hornqvist scored 5:08 into the third period, it could have been deflating for the Penguins, who since the middle of the first period had dominated the game. Instead, the Penguins continued to fire pucks at will towards Pekka Rinne, finally getting rewarded when Sidney Crosby scored on an Evgeni Malkin rebound at 12:56 of the third period. After that goal, you just knew this was a game the Penguins weren’t losing.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Kris Letang scored on a slap shot with 1:11 left in overtime and the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Nashville Predators 4-3 on Thursday night.

Sidney Crosby added two goals and an assist for Pittsburgh. Evgeni Malkin had a goal and an assist and Letang helped set up two scores, in addition to his winning goal.

• Pittsburgh’s 4-3 overtime victory over the Predators on Thursday night improved the team’s road record to 3-0. That marks the second-consecutive season the Penguins have opened 3-0 on the road. Last year, the Penguins went on to win their first seven games away from Mellon Arena.
  • Marc-Andre Fleury was clutch between the pipes for the Penguins, as he stopped 21 of 24 shots to pick up his first win of the season. Fleury was especially sharp for the Penguins on breakaways, where he denied Nashville’s J.P. Dumont and Steve Sullivan.
  • The Penguins, who are already playing without injured defensemen Brooks Orpik (groin) and Zbynek Michalek (upper-body), dodged a bullet midway through the first period. Kris Letang blocked a Jerred Smithson shot with his foot and skated gingerly to the bench. Letang missed only a few shifts before returning later in the period.
  • The scoring summary reads that Evgeni Malkin picked up the Penguins’ first goal, but it was a couple of nice plays that didn’t make the scoresheet which set up the tally. Mark Letestu won the initial faceoff, working the puck to Kris Letang at the left point. Letang did a nice job of faking his shot and getting a Predator out of position before sending a shot towards the net which resulted in Malkin’s goal.
  • Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin continued their hot streaks against the Predators. Both players scored in the second period to improve their scoring streaks to five games each. Crosby has picked up 10 points (6G-4A), while Malkin has notched seven points (2G-5A).
Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #109
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Blues @ 8pm tonight. They are 3-0 on home ice, with none other than Halak...and I expect Fleury to be starting in goal again tonight. No definite word yet on whether Orpik will be playing or not.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #110
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens fall to the Blues 1-0 in OT.

Boring game if you only like games with high scoring action...but it was a good one nonetheless. Johnson was in goal (much to my surprise...but Fleury would have lost the game in regulation), and stood on his head all night. He was jacked up when he let one in shortly after OT had started. I thought he was going to kill the net lol. His first loss of the season...but at least he still got the Pens a point.

Halak was his usual stonewall. I'm so glad he's not in our conference anymore.

And Orpik was back last night, and looked solid. Lovejoy and Engelland looked good on defense as well.

Pens have a nice 3 day break coming up (hopefully another injured player will come back then too) and will play the Lightning on Wednesday.
Closed Thread