Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #111
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Michalek Continues to Recover
Sunday, 10.24.2010 / 4:03 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

TAMPA BAY, FLORIDA – Defenseman Zbynek Michalek made another step towards recovery Sunday afternoon after participating in his first full practice with the Penguins since suffering an upper-body injury at New Jersey Oct. 11.

“It feels good to get back out there and skate with the guys,” said Michalek, who has been skating on his own for a week. “I was skating by myself for a few days and that’s not too much fun. I’m happy that it’s progressing and feeling much better.”

“He’s coming along well,” head coach Dan Bylsma said. “His conditioning and his work off the ice has been really good. It’s a matter of getting comfortable and getting some contact. We’ll see how that works for the next week or so.”

Michalek, who has been working on his conditioning the last two weeks before getting back on the ice, went through every drill with his teammates and said he wasn’t limited due to the injury.

“I feel really good,” Michalek said. “I was really happy with the practice. It’s not quite 100 percent, but it’s getting better every day. I feel pretty confident that I should be back in the lineup soon.”

Michalek’s quick progress hasn’t surprised the coaching staff, which saw firsthand how resilient the Czech native can be.

“Initially we felt he was a pretty tough customer with a pretty high tolerance of pain,” Bylsma said. “He ended his shift in New Jersey. A lot of other people would have crumbled to the ice and would not have done what he did, finish the shift and play defense.”

The upper-body injury was a rough start to the season for Michalek, who was joining a new team after signing with Pittsburgh in the offseason.

“It’s not a good start, coming to a new team and getting hurt right away, but it’s a part of the game,” Michalek said. “I have to make sure that I’m ready to go. It will take some time to get back with timing and everything. I’ve been watching a lot of hockey lately, learning the system a little bit better and that will probably help me. I have to build on that.

“It’s definitely tough. It’s not the start I wanted but we’ll go through it and hopefully I’ll be fine.”

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #112
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Roster moves include Tangradi going to AHL
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 25, 2010
Last updated: 12:56 pm
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_706026.html

TAMPA — The Penguins started getting healthy last week, and that development was bad news for a couple of players who helped them survive an injury-riddled stretch.

Left wing Eric Tangradi and defenseman Andrew Hutchinson were re-assigned to the AHL today.

Tangradi, the organization's top forward prospect, had played in each of the Penguins' nine games. He scored a goal and recorded one assist to go with a minus-1 rating. His ice time had dipped dramatically the last five games. He played fewer than 10 minutes in his last three contests.

Tangradi, 21, did not need to clear waivers.

Hutchinson, 30, had appeared in five games for the Penguins, recording an assist and a minus-3 rating.

The Penguins (5-3-1, 11 points) are off today. They play at Tampa Bay on Wednesday night, the final game of a three-game trip.

Right wing Aaron Ashram is expected to play in that game. He has yet to play this season because of a left-shoulder injury. He was injured in the penultimate preseason game at Chicago on Oct. 1.

At practice on Sunday 25 players were on the ice, including three extra forwards and two additional defensemen. Defenseman Brooks Orpik played Saturday night at St. Louis for the first time since Oct. 9, and the Penguins are carrying seven defensemen on their active roster with the re-assignment of Hutchinson.

Zbynek Michalek, out at least another two weeks with a right-shoulder injury, is not known to have been placed on the injured reserve or long-term injury list.

Center Jordan Steal (right foot) remains on the injured reserve list, though he has resumed practicing.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #113
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins' Asham ready for debut; Big question is, where will he play?
Monday, October 25, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10298/1097859-61.stm

TAMPA, Fla -- Arron Asham doesn't have any formal medical training.

Hadn't seen an X-ray, either, or received an MRI.

But he didn't need any of those things to realize that something bad had happened to his shoulder when he absorbed a hit early in a preseason game in Chicago Oct. 1.

"I definitely knew something was wrong," Asham said Sunday.

The damage was extensive enough to knock him out of the lineup for three-plus weeks, but Asham reiterated after the Penguins' practice at the St. Pete Times Forum Sunday that he is ready to resume playing.

And that he hopes it happens no later than the Penguins' game against Tampa Bay Wednesday.

The decision on that will fall to coach Dan Bylsma, who suddenly has a surplus of healthy forwards, and he was noncommittal Sunday about whether Asham will make his Penguins debut against the Lightning, saying only that "that's a possibility."

Bylsma also declined to say precisely where Asham will be used when he dresses, perhaps because he anticipates using him in a variety of roles.

"[Asham] is a guy who can play up and down the lineup, and probably will do that," Bylsma said. "He's a guy I've seen play with [Miroslav]) Satan and [Alexei] Yashin on Long Island for 12 games and do well.

"He's also a guy who could be on the third or fourth line. I don't think he's going to get a full dose of where he normally might play, if he plays. We're certainly going to use him in different spots."

Asham was signed as a free agent Aug. 20 after spending the previous two seasons with Philadelphia. His injury has forced him to miss the first two games of the season series against the Flyers, but Asham is keenly aware that Philadelphia is scheduled to visit Consol Energy Center Friday.

And he certainly isn't interested in spending another game against his former employer in street clothes.

"I'm definitely looking forward to it," Asham said. "It's a team we have a great rivalry with, and I can't wait to get out there and battle with them."

Because battling is a major component of Asham's game, it is imperative that he be able to inflict -- and endure -- punishment if he is going to make a meaningful contribution.

"That's a big part of my game," he said. "I can't play the way I can without throwing the body. The first shift, I'm going to have to go out there and test it out. I've been working on it in practice a bit, so I'm not too worried about it."

Asham pointed out that, aside from a separated shoulder he got while playing junior hockey, he does not have a history of shoulder problems, so he has no real reason to fear a recurrence.

While it seems likely that Bylsma will get Asham back in uniform at the earliest opportunity, precisely where he deploys him will be interesting. Shortly before Asham was injured, Bylsma had used him on a line with Max Talbot and Matt Cooke that surely would rank among the most irritating in the league to play against.

Reuniting those three is an option that Bylsma will have to consider. Or, at the very least, one Asham hopes he will.

"I thought we played well in the three games we played together," Asham said.

He acknowledged, though, that "the team has been playing well and the lines seem to be clicking," which means Bylsma might be reluctant to make major alterations in his forward combinations.

"Wherever he decides to put me, I'm fine with it," Asham said. "I just want to get back in the lineup and start playing."

If there is a good time for a player to be injured, it remains one of hockey's best-kept secrets, and Asham understands that.

But exasperating as it was to be knocked out of the lineup when he was trying to settle in with a new team, he pointed out that the impact of his injury would have been much greater if it had come six or seven months later.

"Especially coming to a new team, you want to be out there, you want to be around the guys," Asham said. "To have a setback like that ... you have to try to look at it in a good way -- it didn't happen in the playoffs. It happened in the preseason.

"I'm feeling good and hope to be in Wednesday."

Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #114
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Report: Practice 10/26/10
Tuesday, 10.26.2010 / 12:42 PM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan

2:54 PM:
A couple quick points from head coach Dan Bylsma's post-practice media scrum (details below):
Arron Asham will make his Pens' debut Wednesday at Tampa Bay
The team is being cautious with Jordan Staal's return
Eric Godard missed practice with an illness

Coach Bylsma said that Arron Asham will play Wednesday night against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

"Arron Asham will be in the lineup," he said.

Bylsma added that the team is being cautious with Jordan Staal. Even though Staal has looked tremendous on the ice, the team still wants him to improve his strength and conditioning with off-ice training.

"We've said this every time we talk about Jordan's return, it's important to understand that he missed a significant amount of time working out," Bylsma said. "It's important for him to spend time getting some of that workout time in on the ice and off the ice. He looks good. There is still a ways to go before he gets close to that 100 percent range. He's got to be allowed to continue working off the ice and on. if he got into games too soon, he might lose some of that workout and strength. The work off the ice is important for him to get. I would like for Jordan to be in there tomorrow. He could probably go out there and look pretty good tomorrow. But we want to give him the appropriate amount of time off the ice for his conditioning and to get up to 100 percent.

"Day 1 he went on the ice, it was one of the best practices of the year by any player we had. ... We want to do what's best for his overall conditioning, his overall performance once he's ready to go."

Bylsma also said that Eric Godard missed Tuesday's practice with an illness and is expected to be out Wednesday as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #115
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

Penguins-Lightning Preview
Associated Press
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos took the NHL goal race to the final day of last season, and the two settled for sharing the Rocket Richard Trophy by finishing with 51 apiece.

Three weeks into this season, the former No. 1 overall picks look capable of engaging in another race to the finish.

Stamkos is tied for the league lead with eight goals as he's gotten the Tampa Bay Lightning off to a fast start, and Crosby is close behind after scoring five times in four games with the Pittsburgh Penguins set to visit the St. Pete Times Forum on Wednesday night.

Crosby had a Stanley Cup, Art Ross Trophy and Hart Trophy as league MVP to his credit heading into last season, when he enjoyed his best goal-scoring season since entering the league in 2005-06.

Stamkos, on the other hand, had only experienced an up-and-down rookie season in which he scored 23 goals.

After matching each other with 51 goals - one more than Washington's Alex Ovechkin - the two seem intent on topping those totals in 2010-11.

More significant than appearing at the top of the scoring charts - Stamkos leads the league with 15 points, while Crosby has 11 - is that both players' teams look formidable early. That's particularly impressive in the case of the Lightning (5-2-1), who are atop the Southeast Division after finishing 41 points behind Washington last season.

They've been perhaps a bit too reliant on Stamkos, however. Tampa Bay is 5-0-0 when he scores, but fell to 0-2-1 when he doesn't with a 4-3 loss to visiting Nashville on Sunday.

The Lightning were down 4-1 in the third period before scoring a pair of late goals.

"I don't think (our effort) was that great until the third, and then it was a little too late," said Stamkos, who was shaken up on a third-period hit but said he was OK. "We've got to start games quicker."

Pittsburgh (5-3-1) had won four straight entering Saturday's game at St. Louis, and Crosby was the key. He registered five goals and four assists in those victories, but was held off the scoresheet against the Blues.

He wasn't the only one. Erik Johnson's overtime goal spoiled another fine effort from backup Brent Johnson, who made 23 saves in the Penguins' 1-0 loss.

"Both teams had their fair share of chances," Crosby said. "Unfortunately for us, they got the winner in overtime."

Johnson has a 1.39 goals-against average that's among the best in the league, while Marc-Andre Fleury has a 3.25 GAA in four starts.

Fleury, however, has been better lately versus Tampa Bay. He's 7-3-0 with a 1.90 GAA in his last 10 starts in the series, and was in net each time as the teams split four meetings last season.

Each team totaled only seven goals in those games, with Stamkos recording two goals and three assists.

None of Crosby's 51 goals last season came against the Lightning. He has two goals in his last 11 games and 16 points in 18 games overall in the series, making the Lightning one of two Eastern Conference teams that Crosby has failed to average a point against in his career.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #116
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins-Lightning Preview
Associated Press
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos took the NHL goal race to the final day of last season, and the two settled for sharing the Rocket Richard Trophy by finishing with 51 apiece.

Three weeks into this season, the former No. 1 overall picks look capable of engaging in another race to the finish.

Stamkos is tied for the league lead with eight goals as he's gotten the Tampa Bay Lightning off to a fast start, and Crosby is close behind after scoring five times in four games with the Pittsburgh Penguins set to visit the St. Pete Times Forum on Wednesday night.

Crosby had a Stanley Cup, Art Ross Trophy and Hart Trophy as league MVP to his credit heading into last season, when he enjoyed his best goal-scoring season since entering the league in 2005-06.

Stamkos, on the other hand, had only experienced an up-and-down rookie season in which he scored 23 goals.

After matching each other with 51 goals - one more than Washington's Alex Ovechkin - the two seem intent on topping those totals in 2010-11.

More significant than appearing at the top of the scoring charts - Stamkos leads the league with 15 points, while Crosby has 11 - is that both players' teams look formidable early. That's particularly impressive in the case of the Lightning (5-2-1), who are atop the Southeast Division after finishing 41 points behind Washington last season.

They've been perhaps a bit too reliant on Stamkos, however. Tampa Bay is 5-0-0 when he scores, but fell to 0-2-1 when he doesn't with a 4-3 loss to visiting Nashville on Sunday.

The Lightning were down 4-1 in the third period before scoring a pair of late goals.

"I don't think (our effort) was that great until the third, and then it was a little too late," said Stamkos, who was shaken up on a third-period hit but said he was OK. "We've got to start games quicker."

Pittsburgh (5-3-1) had won four straight entering Saturday's game at St. Louis, and Crosby was the key. He registered five goals and four assists in those victories, but was held off the scoresheet against the Blues.

He wasn't the only one. Erik Johnson's overtime goal spoiled another fine effort from backup Brent Johnson, who made 23 saves in the Penguins' 1-0 loss.

"Both teams had their fair share of chances," Crosby said. "Unfortunately for us, they got the winner in overtime."

Johnson has a 1.39 goals-against average that's among the best in the league, while Marc-Andre Fleury has a 3.25 GAA in four starts.

Fleury, however, has been better lately versus Tampa Bay. He's 7-3-0 with a 1.90 GAA in his last 10 starts in the series, and was in net each time as the teams split four meetings last season.

Each team totaled only seven goals in those games, with Stamkos recording two goals and three assists.

None of Crosby's 51 goals last season came against the Lightning. He has two goals in his last 11 games and 16 points in 18 games overall in the series, making the Lightning one of two Eastern Conference teams that Crosby has failed to average a point against in his career.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #117
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Five Pittsburgh Players Projected As Top Prospects For 2011 NHL Entry Draft

Gibsonia's Saad Ranked No. 5

Tuesday, 10.26.2010 / 3:15 PM / Features
By Jason Seidling
The Takeaway:
  • Red Line Report, an independent scouting service, ranks five Pittsburgh natives among the top prospects for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
  • Gibsonia’s Brandon Saad, currently ranked No. 5 overall by Red Line, is projected to be the highest-drafted Pittsburgh-born player ever.
  • Of the five Pittsburgh prospects, Saad and Vince Trochek (Pittsburgh, Pa.) are teammates with Saginaw of the Ontario Hockey League, while J.T. Miller (Moon, Pa.), John Gibson (Whitehall, Pa.) and Barrett Kaib (Upper St. Clair, Pa.) play together on the United States National Team Development Program Under-18 squad.

Amateur hockey continues to stay on the rise in Pittsburgh, a point that’s certainly illustrated by the October edition of Red Line Report, an independent scouting service run by former NHL scout Kyle Woodlief.

Gibsonia's Brandon Saad is Red Line Report's No. 5 ranked prospect for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft next June. According to Red Line’s October rankings, Pittsburgh is currently the home of two of the top 14 prospects for next June’s NHL Entry Draft – forward Brandon Saad (Gibsonia, Pa.), who is ranked No. 5 overall, and center J.T. Miller (Moon, Pa.), ranked No. 14 overall.

In addition to Saad and Miller, Pittsburgh has three additional players – goaltender John Gibson (No. 31 overall), center Vince Trocheck (No. 78) and defenseman Barrett Kaib (No. 107) – ranked among the top 107 draft-eligible prospects.

“The junior hockey program in Pittsburgh 10-15 years ago existed, but it wasn’t that strong,” Woodlief said. “Now, you are a full generation into it. There was never any question about there being a lack of talent in the area, it’s just that talent wasn’t playing hockey and didn’t have top-flight programs that they could stay home and develop in as they grew older throughout their teen years.

“Those players were either gravitating towards other sports or they weren’t really aware about going to play major junior hockey in Ontario. Now, those players can stay at home, get top-notch instruction and play.”

Saad, who turns 18 on Oct. 27, is currently playing for the Saginaw Spirit of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). The 6-foot-2, 200-pound forward ranks third on the team with seven goals and 13 points through 12 games.

Based upon Saad’s size, strength and gifted scoring touch, Woodlief expects him to stay ranked among the top-five or 10 players in the draft all the way until June – which should allow Saad to become the highest-drafted Pittsburgh-born player ever (R.J. Umberger, 16th overall; 2001; Vancouver).

“He drives to the net hard all the time – both with and without the puck,” Woodlief said. “He is a big guy who has really soft hands in front of the net. He has that finisher’s ability around the net. When you get that combination of size and finishing ability around the net, that’s what everybody is looking for.”

This season, Saad took his talents to the OHL after spending last season playing up a year on the United States National Team Development (NTDP) Under-18 squad. Woodlief believes jumping to the OHL was the perfect decision to enhance Saad’s development.

“Saginaw is going to be a pretty good team this year,” Woodlief said. “They have some other talented players around him there, so he doesn’t have to go in and light it up right away and be a savior. He can just be a complementary piece of the puzzle. He is going to get first-class coaching in addition to playing 70 games plus the playoffs. It was definitely the next step in his evolution.”

Miller, 17, spent last season with the U.S. NTDP Under-17 team. This season he is playing for the Under-18 squad, where he has registered four assists in three contests. Woodlief loves the creativity to score or create scoring chances for teammates that Miller provides.

“I think he is underrated in some circles,” Woodlief said. “He has pretty good size and he has very good puck skills. When he has the puck on his stick he is dangerous. He can finish himself or he can create chances for his linemates. I still say he is a very solid first-round pick.”

Gibson (Whitehall, Pa.), 17, is also in his second season with the national program. According to Woodlief, Gibson, who led the U.S. to gold medals at the 2010 World Under-18 Championships and the World Under-17 Challenge, is one of the fastest risers on his board.

Goaltender John Gibson (Whitehall, Pa.) is ranked No. 31 overall by Red Line Report. “His improvement has been dramatic over the course of the past 18 months,” said Woodlief of Gibson, who stands 6-foot-3, 185 pounds. “He was always a taller kid who didn’t have great lateral agility or quickness because he had grown length wise, but his body hadn’t really grown into that. As he has grown into his frame and gotten stronger in the lower half of the body, he is much quicker and more nimble on his feet.”

Trocheck (Pittsburgh, Pa.), 17, is teammates with Saad in Saginaw. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound center ranks second on the Spirit in scoring with 14 points (6G-8A) through 13 games. Last season, Trocheck tallied 15 goals and 43 points in 68 games with Saginaw.

Although Trocheck is smaller in stature, his ability to make plays when paired up with elite talent makes him an intriguing prospect as he evolves into a point per game player during his second season in the OHL.

Kaib (Upper St. Clair, Pa.), 17, joins Miller and Gibson on the U.S. NTDP Under-18 team, where he has posted one assist through four contests. Last season, the 5-foot-10, 188-pound blueliner registered one assist and 34 penalty minutes in 20 games with the Under-17 squad.

“I really like him, even though he isn’t a tall guy,” Woodlief said. “He is very compactly built. He really likes to pack a wallop in his hits. His best skill is his passing ability. When he gets the puck in his own end, he makes a very quick read and then it’s out of the zone. He will go to the right place with the puck. He will make very firm, crisp passes.”

Kyle Woodlief is a former NHL scout with the Nashville Predators. To get more 2011 NHL Entry Draft news from Woodlief, read his monthly column at USAToday.com or write to P.O. Box 522, Lake Placid, NY 12946 to subscribe to Red Line Report.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #118
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Should be a good game tonight...and it seems that Fleury will be in net tonight. If the Pens win, he will become the seventh-youngest netminder in NHL history to pick up his 150th career win at 25 years, 333 days. So get that win Fleury!!!

And since we will be seeing Malone...I feel I need to post the song dedicated to him. It's still funny after all these years.

[YOUTUBE]plTk8MGOSjI[/YOUTUBE]

He's still freaking hot though.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #119
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Report: Game Day at Tampa Bay
Wednesday, 10.27.2010 / 11:00 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan

1:10 PM:
If you have no big plans for the game, head to TGI Friday's for the Penguins Watch Party. The Bethel Park location is hosting the event. The party starts at 6:30 p.m. It's a great chance to cheer on the Pens with a group of rowdy fans. Plus the Ice Crew will be there! Everybody wins!

Laura is my personal favorite. I mean, she plays the guitar and loves pierogies. Checkmate.

(Although Annie is a close second with her love of Mike and Tony's Gyros and tennis).
__________________________________________________ ______________________

12:59 PM:
Sounds heard around the locker room:

Arron Asham

On playing his first game as a Penguin:
I’ve been out for a while. It’s good to be back and I’m looking forward to tonight.

On where he’ll play in the lineup
:
I just want to get out there and play. It doesn’t matter where coach puts me. I just want to start competing. Whatever happens, happens.

On if he needs a hit to get into a game
:
It’s been a while since I’ve been checked and tested things out. I’ve done a few battle drills in practice and things have been fine. I can’t go out and play a skilled game, that’s not my game. I have to go out there and bang, create space for whoever I’m with. I want to throw as many hits as I can to get my body and mind into it.

Pascal Dupuis

On Tampa Bay:
They’re a team that is well coached right now. We’ll have to play a sound game to have success tonight.

On what the Lightning are doing to be successful
:
They have a lot of skill. They have a lot of guys that can put the puck in the net. We just have to play our game. It’s not going to be any different against anybody else.

On stopping Steven Stamkos:
He’s a great shooter. He shoots the puck really well. He’s a real dangerous player out there. At the same time, we have a couple guys that are dangerous on our team too. We can make them pay if they make mistakes as well. The team that plays the best defensively will win.

Marc-Andre Fleury

On the offensive weapons on Tampa Bay:

I know when they’re on the ice and who has the puck. I won’t change my style. Like anybody else, I’ll try to stop the puck.

On being rusty with only one start in two weeks
:
It’s a little different. I’m used to playing a little more often. I felt good in Nashville. I’m looking forward to getting between the pipes and having some fun on the ice.

On memorable wins in his career
:
The first one. The Stanley Cup win. That was fun to get.

12:55 PM:
Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma...

On if Tampa plays a 1-3-1:
We’ll see tonight. That’s what it looks like. Their coaching staff has been known to change things as well. They did last game in the neutral zone.

On the Lightning:
Some real distinct areas is the defensive zone, real aggressive. Attacking the puck carrier on that side of the ice with four guys. In the offensive zone they do a good job of getting pucks into the blue paint and getting a lot of guys there. They did that well. There is a clear effort from their team. The neutral zone is a different look than we’ve seen this year. Those are some things we need to be aware of going into tonight’s game.

On Asham:
Ash is a guy that pushes all in on physical contact regardless of how he feels. He’s going to go in there tonight wanting to be that way regardless of how he feels or if he’s 100 percent. He’s going to want to be that way. He’s going to be a physical guy in the game tonight. He’s got a smirk on his face to go out there and play. He’ll bring that into the game tonight.

On the D-pairings:
They change in the game depending on playing time. We like what we see from (Martin-Letang). We’d like to keep that going. Where Brooks fits in, that will change in the game depending on ice time minutes. He’ll probably see Lovejoy and Goligoski on his side.

__________________________________________________ ______________

11:53 AM:
Tampa Bay, which dropped a 4-3 contest to the Nashville Predators on Sunday at St. Pete Times Forum, did not have a morning skate today. __________________________________________________ ______________________

11:51 AM:
Here are the forward units used during the morning skate by head coach Dan Bylsma:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Comrie-Letestu-Malkin
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Rupp-Adams-Asham

11:16 AM:

Before we get to serious business, I have to update everyone on the annual Tampa Bay hockey staff bowling tournament. It was a spirited affair as the four teams bowled for the right to the coveted trophy.

The Final featured a showdown between head coach Dan Bylsma's team (Paul DeFazio, Danny Kroll and Jen Bullano) and assistant coach Todd Reirden's team (Jim Britt, Scott Adams and Myself).

Jim Britt, video coordinator/fill-in goalie at practice, bowled a 209 in the championship game to lift our team to victory. He was also named the Conn Smythe winner for his efforts.

11:02 AM:
After a three-day hiatus that feels like four months, the Pens will be back in action Wednesday night in Tampa Bay to take on the Lightning. Tampa Bay is currently tied with the Pens in the standings with both teams having 11 points. The game will be a battle between two of the Eastern Confrences top squads.

The Pens lineup will get a boost with the addition of free agent signee Arron Asham. The gritty forward has been out with an upper-body injury since the preseason and is ready to make his Pens' debut.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #120
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Crosby Ranked No. 37 On AskMen.com's '49 Most Influential Men of 2010'
Earns Recognition For Fourth Straight Season
Wednesday, 10.27.2010 / 1:00 PM / Features
By Jason Seidling
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=541724&navid=DL|PIT|home

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby’s list of awards and accomplishments is incredible for a guy who is still just 23-years-old.

Penguins center Sidney Crosby (right, with 2010 'Rocket' Richard Trophy) was ranked No. 37 on AskMen.com's '49 Most Influental Men of 2010' list.

Art Ross Trophy (NHL scoring leader), Hart Memorial Trophy (NHL MVP), youngest captain to lead his team to a Stanley Cup – and those are but a very small sampling of what Crosby has been able to achieve.

You can add another one to the list because Crosby was ranked No. 37 on AskMen.com’s '49 Most Influential Men of 2010' on Wednesday. It’s the fourth straight year Crosby has earned recognition on AskMen’s list.

“I am honored once again to be a part of this list and thank all the readers at AskMen that voted for me,” Crosby told AskMen.com.

Crosby, who was one of eight athletes – and the lone hockey player – to make the list, was selected in large part because of the way he rose to the moment for Team Canada in the gold medal game at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver in February.

With his Canadian team locked in an overtime battle with bitter rival Team USA, Crosby secured the gold medal and a 3-2 victory for his country when he beat Ryan Miller with a snap shot from the bottom of the far circle 7:40 minutes into the extra session.

Crosby also had one of his best NHL seasons, earning his first ‘Rocket’ Richard Trophy after tying the Tampa Bay Lightning’s Steven Stamkos with a league-best and career-high 51 goals. Crosby’s 109 points (51G-58A) placed him second in the overall scoring race behind Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin (112 points).

Among the familiar names Crosby finished ahead of include reigning two-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant (No. 45), acclaimed actor Leonardo DiCaprio (No. 43) and late-night mogul David Letterman (No. 39).

Based upon AskMen’s bio of Crosby, they expect him to continue gracing this list in the coming seasons: “Frankly, we can’t wait to see what he does next.”

Neither can Penguins fans.

Click here to view AskMen.com’s Sidney Crosby profile.

Closed Thread