Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #141
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Well, the first period was fun.

Besides the loss, looks like something might be wrong with Geno.

I'll cry if he's seriously injured.

I searched around today, and couldn't find any stories on Geno. So no news is good news as far as I'm concerned. All that has been mentioned is that he left the game in the third period with an injury. No post game updates on that, and no updates yet today on that either. Will keep you posted if I hear anything. Z and Staal are still out.

Pens play at Carolina tonight, and this starts a 4 game road trip (longest of the season I believe). No word yet on who is starting in goal, but I'm going to assume it's going to be Johnson until I hear otherwise.

Going to be a tough game for sure though, Pens and Canes regular season series always are. Just hope the Pens keep up their good play on the road and get a win tonight!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #142
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Ok, so I finally found something on Geno. He is questionable with a knee injury and will test it out during pre-game skate to see if he can play.

Quote:
Malkin questionable for tonight due to injury
Saturday, October 30, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
RALEIGH, N.C. -- Center Evgeni Malkin, who was injured during the Penguins' 3-2 loss to Philadelphia at Consol Energy Center Friday night, is questionable for their game at Carolina this evening because of an apparent knee problem.

Malkin is expected to test his injury during the pregame skate before deciding if he can play against the Hurricanes.

His problem apparently is limited to a bad bruise; there is believed to be no ligament damage that could keep him out of the lineup for an extended period.

Malkin was hurt when his leg was pinned against the boards while he was being checked during the Flyers game.

Dave Molinari: dmolinari@post-gazette.com

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10303...#ixzz13sDcBAlV
Thankfully, it doesn't sound serious at all.

I also read on ppg's site that Johnson will most likely be in net. That means I'll probably miss seeing him win another game lol.

Go Pens!!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #143
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Thanks for the Geno updates Mom. They showed him dressed for the game and skating pregame, but decided last minute that he couldn't go, so I'm thinking his injury isn't that bad. Unfortunately, it now looks like something is wrong with Letang.

Johnson got a SO tonight so it will be interesting to see how Bylsma handles the goalie situation. I hope he sticks with the hot player and that Johnson will be in net again on Wednesday.

Also looks like Staal will be back on Wednesday. God please let this be true!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #144
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

I miss the best games lol...glad they got a good win though! And Johnny's first SO as a Pen.

Johnson Stands Tall In 33-Save Shutout

Saturday, 10.30.2010 / 11:03 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=542086&navid=DL|PIT|home

News
Photo Gallery
Aftermath
Boxscore
Game Blog

RALEIGH, N.C. – In his last game between the pipes, Brent Johnson came up one shot shy of posting his first shutout since 2006. In his next start, he didn’t make that same mistake.

Johnson was perfect in goal Saturday night, stopping all 33 shots he faced to record his first shutout as a Penguin in Pittsburgh’s 3-0 victory against Carolina at RBC Center.

“I feel good. The confidence is good,” Johnson said. “We’ve done a fantastic job at the net. … We had a lot of first-touch clears, which is fantastic for a goalie to see. As soon as the puck was on our sticks it was out of our zone, which was great. We got the two points and that is the most important thing.”

Johnson improved to an unbeaten 5-0-1 on the season, and his goals-against average and save percentage – both of which ranked second in the NHL entering the game – will only get a boost.

Johnson, whose last shutout was April 1, 2006 against Ottawa (46 saves), has allowed only one goal in his last 136:31 minutes of play.

“It feels great, it really does,” Johnson said of his early season success. “I’m just happy to help the team win. I am just simplifying my game, trying to be big in front of the net and stop the puck with my body.”

In honor of Johnson’s strong effort, the team blasted Led Zepplin following the game in the locker room. Johnson is a huge Zepplin fan and even has the band’s graphics on his goalie mask. But the players don’t mind the song choices, as long as Johnson keeps playing the way he’s been playing.

“Whatever he wants to hear,” Crosby said. “Whatever he says goes.”

STRONG RESPONSE
The Penguins were not happy after suffering a 3-2 loss to rival Philadelphia Friday night at CONSOL Energy Center. Such losses are inevitable in an 82-game seasons, but how a team responds is a test of the group’s mental toughness and character.

Pittsburgh held a meeting following the game and responded with a dominant 3-0 victory at Carolina.

“We did what we wanted to accomplish tonight,” Johnson said. “We wanted to respond and we did. Right from the start the game we were jumping, getting pucks deep and forechecking.”

“Everyone has a lot of pride and high expectations of each other,” Crosby said. “That was a great way to respond tonight. It was big for us. We didn’t play well (Friday). We had an opportunity tonight and everyone played well, did the things they were supposed to do, and we got the result we wanted.”

BREAKING POINT
The Penguins were clinging to a 2-0 lead midway through the third period. The Carolina Hurricanes had the momentum on their side, as well as a 47-second two-man advantage.

Pittsburgh killed the penalty – thanks to the efforts of Matt Cooke, Craig Adams, Brooks Orpik and goaltender Johnson – and then broke the Hurricanes’ backs with a tally at the 8:10 mark of the final frame.

The sequence that led to the Penguins’ third goal – scored by Pascal Dupuis, his second of the game – was a microcosm of the team’s entire performance. It all started with a great pad save by Johnson, who continues his brilliant play between the pipes.

Then Sidney Crosby sacrificed his body, lying in front of a slap shot, to block the Hurricanes attempt. Pittsburgh transitioned quickly with a two-on-two led by Dupuis. The Penguins mustached winger carried the puck into the near circle and ripped a shot far side to give Pittsburgh a commanding 3-0 lead.

“Everybody did the right things,” Dupuis said. “We executed really well, all the little details that makes us a successful team. We did those tonight and responded to the meeting we had (Friday) night in the locker room.”

Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #145
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Just a stupid FYI...I watched a bunch of the post game videos on the Pens channel last night, and in each one you can hear a different Led Zeppelin song playing (Johnny's favorite band). I thought that was awesome that they let him control the music after his SO.

It's to the point in his interview you can barely hear him talk over Over the Hills and Far Away.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #146
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...liance-in-goal

In games started by Johnson this season, the Penguins are 5-0-1 and have accumulated 11 of 12 available points. Not bad!

In games started by Fleury, they are 1-5 and have accumulated two of 12 available points. Not good!

Johnson was predictably modest and team-oriented in his post-game comments last night.

``It feels great, it really does,” he said of his success. ``I’m just happy to help the team win. I am just simplifying my game, trying to be big in front of the net and stop the puck with my body.

``I feel good. The confidence is good. We’ve done a fantastic job at the net. … We had a lot of first-touch clears, which is fantastic for a goalie to see. As soon as the puck was on our sticks it was out of our zone, which was great. We got the two points and that is the most important thing.”

Johnson is second in the NHL with a goals-against average of 1.16 and second in save percentage at .960.

Bu comparison, Fleury is 33rd (of 39) in goals against average at 3.35 and 38th in save percentage at .863.

Johnson has yet to give up more than two goals; Fleury has yet to limit the opposition to two goals.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #147
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Staal is eligible to play on Wednesday!! Can't wait to have him back out there.

*Edit* And no mention of it in this story, but Michalek is likely to return on Wednesday too. Haven't heard anything on Kris Letang, so hoping whatever is wrong with his hand isn't too serious. We could have a complete roster for this western roadtrip...so I'm happy about that!

Staal's return gives Pens a chance to follow their leader
By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Monday, November 1, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

RALEIGH -- These Penguins survived 12 games without their secret weapon; a player described last May by one former teammate as "maybe the guy we could least afford to lose considering everything he does"; the cornerstone piece with whom general manager Ray Shero believes "you win Stanley Cups."

Center Jordan Staal is eligible to play Wednesday night at Dallas. If he does, for the first time in months, the Penguins can follow the man-child who is also perhaps their true leader.

That suggestion is no knock on center Sidney Crosby and his stature as face of the franchise. He has instinctively and successfully molded this captaincy after hockey idol Steve Yzerman: choosing words carefully; leading with his tireless work ethic; and setting daily a new standard for teammates to pursue.

That suggestion is no knock on right wing Evgeni Malkin, an alternate captain whose willingness to switch positions was a largely underappreciated display of leadership. His growing acceptance of off-ice responsibilities, from speaking almost daily with the media to last week modeling the 2010 Winter Classic uniforms, offers encouraging signs of his commitment to the organization.

That suggestion is no knock on defenseman Brooks Orpik, who is sharing a second alternate captaincy with Staal. He is the longest tenured Penguin, and his honest, authoritative voice - he calls all situations like he sees them - has garnered him a reputation as the club's conscience.

Staal shares many of the best qualities displayed by Crosby (work ethic), Malkin (unselfishness) and Orpik (honesty). However, because those teammates have afforded him the time and under-the-radar cover to mature over the past four seasons, he has grown into a leadership role that is uniquely his.

If Crosby is the heart, Malkin the soul and Orpik the conscience, Staal is the spark for all three.

Witness two years ago, a couple of weeks before the Penguins fell deep into a funk that would cost former coach Michel Therrien his job; Staal was the first player to speak out against that squad's lack of discipline after a discouraging loss to then-lowly Phoenix. A few days after Therrien was fired, Staal said players needed to realize "that (move) was on us."

"He has a real clear feeling and idea of what's right and wrong," said coach Dan Bylsma, who replaced Therrien.

They Penguins are 6-5-1 this season (13 points) despite having yet to play with close to a full-strength lineup. With Staal, they should become the East's dominant club because he is the paten-pending part that makes their machine unique.

He was a finalist for the Selke Trophy last season, an award that is presented annually to the NHL's best defensive forward. His defense is so often mentioned by admirers that it's become easy to forget he has scored 20 goals in three of four seasons, without substantial power-play time, and that he's only 22.

He is the club's third-leading returning scorer from last season, when the Penguins were fifth in overall offense.

"He's got that really weird combination of offensive and defensive ability, and he's one of those rare guys who are so strong, even he doesn't know it," Orpik said. "He'll bump into you in practice, and you're, like, 'Holy, Staalsy, take it down a notch.'"

It's possible Staal could struggle out of the gate. He missed an entire offseason of training because of two infections in a right foot that first required surgery last May because of a severed tendon. Orpik said none of Staal's teammates were surprised he missed only two playoff games because of that tendon procedure.

Staal acknowledged last June that he felt an obligation to return fast as the Penguins tried to defend their Stanley Cup title, that he was raised to play through pain if he could skate. He admitted that agonized expression he flashed while shaking hands with the Montreal Canadiens after that Game 7 loss had little to do with physical discomfort.

"Jordan cares so much, maybe he thinks we win if he wasn't hurt," said Malkin, whose transition from center to wing was made in part because the Penguins believe Staal's offensive game has developed quickly. "Everybody can't wait for Jordan (to) come back."

The wait for Staal is nearing an end. When Staal steps onto the ice for the first time this season, all the Penguins need to do is follow where his surgically-repaired right foot leads them.

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 11-01-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #148
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Well scrap that previous story I guess. This is just WTF.

Quote:
1:17 PM:
Dan Bylsma addressed Staal's condition after pracitce, as he left the ice 45 minutes prior to the end of practice.

On why Staal left the ice early:

Jordan left the ice with an upper-body injury and is getting evaluated right now.

On how discouraging it could be for Staal:
I can tell you my own feelings. And it’s disappointing on a couple levels. But mostly it's personal for Jordan, because he’s had a difficult offseason and training camp. And then to get to the point where you’re looking to coming back to play and possibly having to deal with another injury is disappointing.

Bylsma added that Malkin and Letang are day-to-day.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #149
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

This freaking SUCKS.

Quote:
Staal to Undergo Surgery for Fractured Hand
Monday, 11.01.2010 / 5:48 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins
Penguins center Jordan Staal will undergo surgery tomorrow to repair a fractured right hand and could miss up to six weeks, it was announced by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Staal suffered the injury when he was hit with a puck in practice.

The 22-year-old native of Thunder Bay, Ontario was a finalist for the Selke Trophy last season as the NHL's top defensive forward. He has yet to play this season because of a foot infection stemming from off-season surgery. Staal suffered a severed tendon in his foot during the 2010 playoffs against Montreal. He was close to returning to the lineup after skating with the team at practice for the past two weeks.

Dr. Glenn Buterbaugh will perform the surgery.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Also, Goligoski might be injured as well.

Quote:
On Malkin and Letang:
There’s not a clear understanding. They are still day-to-day. When I spoke to you all before the game at Carolina, I hoped to see ‘Geno’ on the ice, so he is still day-to-day. Same thing with Tanger.

On one of Malkin or Letang being closer to playing than the other:
I can’t really say. I hope to see both playing in Dallas on Wednesday, but we’ll have to wait and see.

On making call-ups for the road trip:
Depending on what we see tomorrow, yes it’s a possibility.

On Goligoski:
There is nothing new on him today. We are hoping to see all the (injured) guys play. You never want to have three guys who are day-to-day like that. We’ll make an adjustment tomorrow whether we bring somebody up or not.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=542142

Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #150
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I'll start watching hockey again in January.
Closed Thread