Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #151
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

A bit of good news today and Malkin and Letang are both present at practice.

Quote:
10:55 AM:
The Penguins had some bad injury news Monday with the announcement that center Jordan Staal suffered a fractured hand at practice and couple possibly miss six weeks.

But Tuesday started with some good news as forward Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Kris Letang are currently both on the ice at Southpointe. The team's practice starts at 11 a.m. We'll wait to see if Malkin and Letang, both of whom are day-to-day with injuries, join their teammates for practice.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #152
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Report: Malkin and Letang Skate
Tuesday, 11.02.2010 / 10:49 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan

Here are some quick injury notes:
  • Evgeni Malkin practiced and said he's "ready" to play against Dallas (12:28 PM entry).
  • Zbynek Michalek practiced and said he's "ready to go" against Dallas (1:08 PM entry).
  • Kris Letang practice and said how he feels in the morning will determine if he plays (1:02 PM entry).
  • Alex Goligoski did not practice, but coach Bylsma was "optimistic" he'll play (12:45 PM entry).

Whew....
__________________________________________________ _______________________

1:13 PM:
Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma....

On possibly calling up a player from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton:
I havenít had to make that decision yet. We have the possibility of being able to do that. Weíre waiting to see how these guys are doing, and it should be OK. But at the same time, we are traveling out West, so we have to make that decision whether to bring a guy or not. They wouldnít be coming with us today, but knowing the situation, they could be joining us in Dallas.

On who will start in net Wednesday:
I havenít talked to the goalies yet, but theyíre going to be the first to know.

On Zbynek Michalek and the defensive pairings:
I wish I could tell you for certain, given the fact that we have two guys on the mend and hopefully playing tomorrow and we donít know which one, if either, is going to be back in there. But we like our (Paul Martin and Kris Letang) pair, and (Brooks Orpik and Michelek) were together, and we could possibly see (Goligoski and Michalek) together. Orpik was working well with Engelland last game. And Engelland has been playing really well, being able to play against some of the more skilled players in the league. So weíll see who we get, but that would give you an early indication of what it would look like.

On Deryk Engelland:
I think the game thatís clearest in my mindóitís been a while now, but heís done it since then as wellówas when we were in New Jersey and he was knocking Kovalchuk and Parise around in the corner. Then Kovalchuk was in the offensive zone and was worried about hitting Engelland and not worried about scoring a goal. That was evidence that this guy can go out and play, and play physical and be a presence against good skill players. Heís done that in virtually every game heís played. Heís knocking down Cole last game in the corner twice on a shift, and when you put out a guy who can be that presence and play good defense against good players, heís going to get an opportunity to do that, because that affects those skill players and makes them uncomfortable.

Goal: Tony Jovenitti

1:08 PM:
Sounds heard around the locker room...

Sidney Crosby

On Jordan Staalís injury:
Itís pretty unfortunate. I think if anything, we just feel bad. Heís been through a lot and worked hard to be this close. So itís too bad. But weíre going to have to keep playing well. We played well last game, so we just have to keep building and make sure that when he gets back weíre playing good hockey.

On why the team played well on Saturday:
I think our desperation level was a lot higher, and we did a lot of little things. We were strong on one-on-one battles and we executed well. Every little detail you can look at we were strong in. When you pay attention to those things you get good results.

On everyone playing well:
Not everyone is going to have their best game on the same night. It happens. But collectively if you focus on those detailsóyouíre going to make mistakes and itís going to happenóbut if youíre doing the right thing most of the time then youíre giving yourself a good chance to win. It isnít easy or else teams would be good every night. Itís always a challenge.

On how tough it is mentally to think a player is coming back from injury only to get hurt again:
Itís tough for him. Yeah, itís tough for us, but I think our first thought is for him and what heís gone through. You canít ever change those things, so you have to make sure you do the best with the guys you have. I think you can always just be there for the guy and be supportive.

Zbynek Michalek

On playing in Phoenix this weekend:
It should be a fun game. Iím happy to be a part of it and hopefully Iíll enjoy it.

On Jordan Staalís injury:
I feel really bad for him. I know he worked really hard to get back. But itís part of the game, and Iím sure heís going to recover fast. But everybody is here for him if he needs anything, and Iím sure heíll be back soon.

On his health:
I feel good and Iím ready to go. My skating has been good. Iím really excited for tomorrow. I still feel it a little bit, and Iím going to feel it for a few weeks here, but I feel confident. Itís strong enough now and Iíve been practicing for a week and I didnít have any problems. So Iím really confident.

Assist: Tony Jovenitti

1:02 PM:
Defenseman Kris Letang not only skated before practice and participated in the entire practice, he was the last person off the ice. Letang is usually the last person off the ice for the Pens, so that should be no surprise. But with him recovering from an upper-body injury, it was good to see Letang in his normal routine of firing pucks at the net long after his teammates vacated the ice.

"It's progress, I feel better," Letang said. "We didn't make a decision yet. We'll see tomorrow morning."

Letang did note that there was some discomfort with handling his stick on shots and passes.

"It's not that I can't hold my stick or anything like that," Letang said. "I can shoot. It's not the hardest shot I can take. ... It needs to heal. There is a pain when I get a pass, it vibrates in my fingers and my hands.

"It won't get worse. It's just a question of time to feel comfortable."

12:45 PM:
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said that he was "optimistic" that injured forward Evgeni Malkin and defensemen Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski will return to the lineup Wednesday night in Dallas.

"(Goligoski) feels like he's better (Tuesday) and will be able to go tomorrow," Bylsma said. "Same thing with Kris and Geno. They finished the skate and did the whole practice. We'll wait to see in the morning."

Bylsma said there is a chance that the team will recall a player from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

12:28 PM:
Evgeni Malkin told reporters "I'm ready" when asked if he would be in the lineup at Dallas on Wednesday night. Malkin, suffered an injury in the final period against Philadelphia Oct. 29.

"I skated before practice to see how my knee feels," Malkin said. "It's not sore. It feels pretty strong. It's alright.

"I'm ready now for the next game."

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #153
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I'm so bummed about Jordan.

Is this the start of a season of what bad will happen next?

They are talented enough to win another cup, but if bad luck, like this, continues to plague them throughout the season, then they won't have a chance.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #154
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Analysis: Therrien should top list of in-season coach replacements
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

Michel Therrien wasn't a perfect NHL coach, but he should rank atop the list of any in-season replacement candidates.

There is no indication he does, though. It's puzzling, considering even his harshest critics among former Penguins players privately confided this week that Therrien knows hockey. To paraphrase one of his former players: Therrien knows pucks, but he doesn't always know how to deal with people.

That criticism is fair, and even acknowledged by Therrien. A few days after his firing on Feb. 15, 2009, Therrien said his objective with the Penguins was never to be beloved by players.

He wanted their respect. He had it, at least in terms of his strategy.

He would command respect again if given a chance to step behind a bench.

Reports of potential openings with New Jersey ó despite general manager Lou Lamoriello's claims to the contrary ó and Buffalo should excite Therrien. He is still being paid by the Penguins and can often be found at Consol Energy Center serving as a first-year pro scout for Minnesota.

Lamoriello has long been a presumed fan of Therrien, of whom he spoke in complimentary terms to the Tribune-Review in May 2008 by praising the former Pens coach for his commitment and patience in helping change the franchise's "culture."

Therrien's record with the Penguins speaks for itself. Throw out the mess he inherited when he replaced former coach Eddie Olczyk; Afterward, he went 121-76-24, with a 15-9 playoff mark and a trip to the 2008 Stanley Cup Final.

His last season with the Penguins followed a tumultuous offseason that featured heavy roster turnover, a training camp-disrupting trip to Sweden and the loss of top defenseman Sergei Gonchar for all but one game he coached.

Therrien never has offered any of those reasons as an excuse for the Penguins' underachievement in the months before his dismissal. However, general managers with future coach openings would be wise to consider those circumstances.

They should consider this, too: All evidence suggests Therrien is better with people now than at any point in his career. At Consol, he has appeared relaxed, often jovial, and appreciative of his opportunity with Minnesota.

Therrien said he was thought he "was close" to landing a coaching job last summer.

His cigarettes-and-Diet Coke breath should be the whiff of fresh air for any team making a change before this summer.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #155
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

Pens hope return of Malkin, Letang sparks PP unit
Tuesday, 11.02.2010 / 3:09 PM Eric Goodman - NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

PITTSBURGH (6-5-1) at DALLAS (6-4-0)

TV -- RIS, FS-P (HD), FS-SW (HD)

Last 10 -- Pittsburgh 6-3-1

Season series -- This is the clubs' first and only meeting this season. The Pens took last season's lone matchup, 6-3, on Mar. 6 at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. Sidney Crosby scored 2 goals, including the game-winner, and had an assist, to help Pittsburgh to a 6-3 win.

Big Story -- The Penguins got a dose of bad news Monday, followed by some better news Tuesday. While center Jordan Staal could miss up to six weeks recovering from surgery Wednesday to repair a fractured right hand, forward Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Kris Letang both skated at practice Tuesday and are expected to be in the lineup at Dallas after both suffered minor injuries against the Hurricanes on Saturday.

Team Scope:

Penguins -- Wednesday's game marks the start of a three-game road trip. After playing in Dallas, Anaheim and Phoenix, they return to Pittsburgh on Nov. 10, where they will play five of their next six.

Saturday's 3-0 win at Carolina ended a three-game winless streak for Pittsburgh, but the team still is struggling mightily on the power play. The Pens are scoreless over their last 23 opportunities with the man-advantage, but the return of Malkin gives them enough reason to start thinking positive. Malkin was second on the team in power-play points last season with 28 and shared the lead with Sidney Crosby for power-play goals with 13.

Stars -- While Dallas is winding down its six-game homestand, it probably can't wait to hit the road again after beginning the recent stretch at American Airlines Center at 1-3-0. But a win Wednesday, coupled by another victory Friday against Phoenix, could salvage a split for the Stars.

Things definitely appeared to turn around Saturday as backup goalie Andrew Raycroft started his first home game for Dallas and made 34 saves in a 4-0 shutout of the Buffalo Sabres to earn his first win as a member of the Stars.

Who's Hot -- Pittsburgh should be grateful Letang is expected to play Wednesday as the defenseman had points in five of six games before being injured Saturday. ... As of Tuesday, Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas leads the NHL with a plus-10 rating, while holding his own on the physical side with 21 penalty minutes.

Injury Report -- Staal (fractured right hand) could miss up to six weeks following Wednesday surgery, while Malkin (knee) and Letang (upper body) are expected in the lineup Wednesday. Right wing Eric Godard returned from an illness Saturday and will be available Wednesday. ... The Stars should be rolling out a fully-healthy lineup.

Stat Pack -- If the Pens hope to turn their power-play struggles around, then Dallas is the team to do it against. The Stars are last in the NHL with just a 68.4-percent success rate on the penalty kill.

Puck Drop -- When a team hears that one of its top-line players might have suffered an injury, it usually sends a wave of panic through the locker room. But Malkin calmed those fears quickly Tuesday at practice.

"I skated before practice to see how my knee feels," Malkin told Penguins.com reporter Sam Kasan. "It's not sore. It feels pretty strong. I am ready for the game now."

Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #156
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

In other news...Talbots Fu Manchu will be making a comeback.

Quote:
Penguins' Talbot rediscovers game, Fu Manchu
Wednesday, November 03, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Max Talbot isn't the first athlete to look in the mirror when he wasn't happy with his job performance.People in just about every line of work do it all the time.Talbot, though, is one of the few to do it literally.And to act on what he saw looking back at him.

"I was just shaving, and I was like, 'I have to be Max again,' " he said. " 'A crazy guy. Just go and do my stuff again. That [Fu Manchu] might be part of it.' "

Getting back the on-ice persona he wanted to be, Talbot concluded, was directly linked to his facial hair, and so he has regrown the moustache that he has worn sporadically throughout his career.

more here...
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307...#ixzz14DtZ5N56
Welcome back the 'stache.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #157
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Dupuis will be out of the lineup tonight...but for very good reason. His wife is in labor with their 4th child right now. Best of luck to his family and the new little Duper on the way!

Quote:
9:45 AM (CENTRAL TIME):
As we sit in our hotel here in Dallas in preparation for this morning's game-day skate at American Airlines Center, we have very good news to report. Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis is on his way back to Pittsburgh (probably shaving off his moustache as he travels) to be with his wife, Carol-Lyne, who is heading into labor. This is a scenario we actually wrote about in yesterday's feature story.

This will be the Dupuis' fourth child. We want to wish Pascal and Carol-Lyne all the best as they welcome another member to the Dupuis gang.

*Edit* Dupuis made it to the hospital 8 minutes before his daughter was born. Her name is Lola Dupuis and she was born at 12:57 pm and is 5lbs 8oz. Congrats to the whole Dupuis family!

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 11-03-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #158
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

A few key things to report on for the game tonight.

-Malkin, Letang, Michalek and Gogo will all be in the lineup tonight.

-Goalie is game time decision (which most likely means Johnson).

-Line change-ups tonight are as follows:
Kunitz-Crosby-Comrie
Cooke-Malkin-Kennedy
Talbot-Letestu-Asham
Rupp-Adams-Godard

More here on the decision to move Malkin from wing to center (likely a change that will stick most of the time while Staal is out again)...http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #159
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Just watched the game.

Ugh.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #160
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

That game was full of suck. Again, I had fun chattin with the Pens fan on the JTV channel I watch the games on....that's usually the only upside to watching these shitty games.

This was the only real highlight of the game.

[youtube]lX1r6fQjBq4[/youtube]

Closed Thread