Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #201
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

The team is kicking ass right now.

Playing pretty good on specials teams too. Especially the PK and doing it without Jordan.

I'm starting to think Bylsma should play the 2HM more though. It seems like those two together always make something happen.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #202
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Flames face rejuvenated Fleury
Last Updated: Saturday, November 27, 2010 | 8:04 AM MT
The Associated Press
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...#ixzz16UyXt700

Shaky goaltending by Marc-Andre Fleury got the Pittsburgh Penguins off to an equally rocky start in their new building. But Fleury's recent play has the Penguins enjoying their home-ice advantage.

With Pittsburgh looking to post its sixth straight victory, Fleury is expected to be in net Saturday afternoon (1 p.m. ET) when the Calgary Flames try to finish their five-game trip with consecutive wins for the first time in more than a month.

In goal as the Penguins (14-8-2) lost their first three at the new Consol Energy Center, Fleury temporarily lost his starting job to Brent Johnson, who started seven of 12 from Oct. 15 to Nov. 10 and was in net for Pittsburgh's first two home wins.

Fleury, though, has taken a firm grip of the starting job by going 7-0-1 with a 1.60 goals-against average in the last eight games. He made a season-high 43 saves in Friday's 2-1 home win over Ottawa.

"I'm still playing the same way I did. I'm just a little more relaxed," said Fleury, 2-1-0 with a 1.30 GAA in four starts against Calgary. "Things are going well. We're winning games and the guys are helping me out."

Pittsburgh has won four straight by one goal thanks to a penalty-kill unit that has stopped the last 25 chances. The Penguins have also improved on the power play, scoring five times in the last four games following scores from Evgeni Malkin and Alex Goligoski on Friday.

Pittsburgh, winner of a season-high three straight at home, will try to record its first six-game win streak since a seven-game surge Oct. 8-23, 2009.

Crosby leads way

The Penguins have a good chance of approaching that run the way captain Sidney Crosby is playing. The sixth-year centre, second in the league with 37 points and two goals shy of 200 for his career, has scored nine times and has 13 assists during an 11-game point streak.

The Flames (9-11-2) snapped a three-game skid Friday with a 3-2 shootout victory at Philadelphia. It also ended the Flames' five-game road losing streak.

"We were rewarded for our game, and maybe we haven't been rewarded on this trip so far," coach Brent Sutter said of a Philadelphia overtime goal getting waved off on an unsportsmanlike conduct call on defenceman Chris Pronger.

The Flames, losers of seven of eight at Pittsburgh, will look for captain Jarome Iginla to continue his solid play as they go for back-to-back wins for the first time since a 3-0-0 stretch Oct. 22-26.

Iginla, tied with Alex Tanguay with a team-high 18 points, has seven goals and three assists in the last eight games after notching eight points in his first 15.

Iginla has no goals and three assists in seven games at Pittsburgh.

In the Flames' last game in Pittsburgh, Fleury made 31 saves and posted his 15th career shutout in a 2-0 victory March 25, 2009.

Calgary's Miikka Kiprusoff is expected to make his second straight start Saturday. He is 0-2-1 with a 2.29 GAA in his last three starts against Pittsburgh.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #203
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Crosby nets trick, 200th goal in Pens' sixth straight
Saturday, 11.27.2010 / 5:38 PM
NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

Video Highlights
News
Photo Gallery
Aftermath
Boxscore
Game Blog

Photos | Podcasts
Crosby's Trick | Notebook: Home-Ice Advantage

Sidney Crosby was not happy after failing to score on a first-period penalty shot against Miikka Kiprusoff on Saturday afternoon. He spent the remainder of the game taking it out on the Calgary Flames' goaltender and his teammates.

Crosby scored three times -- which included his 200th NHL goal -- and the Pittsburgh Penguins won their sixth in a row, beating the Flames 4-1 at the CONSOL Energy Center.

"I think they got me the hat trick (puck), and the 200th one," said Crosby, who has 18 goals in 25 games. "I don't know which ones they got, but they made sure they had them all, with a couple milestones there."

Crosby already had two goals, one on a power play, before scoring shorthanded into an empty net with 37 seconds remaining. If he had converted the penalty shot he missed 4:14 into the game, Crosby would have scored four goals with every possible variation: even-strength, power play, shorthanded, penalty shot and empty net.

Pens owner Mario Lemieux is the only NHL player to score five goals all five ways, on Dec. 31, 1988, against New Jersey.

"Oh, geez, don't tell me that," Crosby said. "That's one thing I never thought would ever be beat. To know I came that close, that hurts, but it was fun and, obviously, I would have liked to have put that one in."

The Penguins' winning streak is their longest since they won seven in a row in October 2009, four months after they won the Stanley Cup. Kris Letang had three assists, while Brooks Orpik chipped in with a pair as Pittsburgh improved to 5-0-1 in its last six games in its new facility.

"We've done a good job on the road, but early on we didn't get the results at home," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. "But now, with putting the wins together and getting the results here, I think it's starting to feel like home. Our fans are starting to make it feel like home as well with the atmosphere in the building. We'd like to keep that string going."

Crosby made it 2-0 in the second period by putting in Chris Kunitz's rebound, then scored No. 200 midway through the third when Paul Martin's shot from above the circles deflected off his stick. Crosby has 12 goals and 13 assists during a 12-game scoring streak.

Crosby completed his sixth regular-season hat trick and first this season by scoring into an empty net with 36.4 seconds remaining during a Flames power play in which Calgary created a two-man advantage by pulling Kiprusoff.

"I've missed a few empty netters, so those ones are nice," Crosby said.

Brent Johnson made 30 saves during his first start since Nov. 10 against Boston, but lost his shutout when Rene Bourque scored his 11th goal and second in three games at 13:03 of the third.

Kiprusoff stopped 24 shots in the first period alone -- the most shots the Penguins have had in a period since their 25 in the first period against San Jose on March 6, 1992. His best save was a glove-hand stop on Crosby's backhander on a penalty shot awarded when Brendan Morrison hooked Crosby 4:14 into the game. The Pens' captain is 0-for-3 on penalty shots in his career.

"An elite-level player like him has great creativity in his game and a tremendous skill set," Calgary coach Brent Sutter said. "It's because of his work ethic, and how hard he plays every shift."

The Penguins solved Kiprusoff when Arron Asham scored on a slap shot from the right circle at 6:26 of the second.

Calgary ended a 1-2-2 road trip in which its only victory was a 3-2 overtime win Friday in Philadelphia. The Flames have scored five goals in four games.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #204
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Five straight wins.

I'm lovin me some Pens hockey right now.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #205
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Five straight wins.

I'm lovin me some Pens hockey right now.
Seeex, ah, ah, ah....seeeex straight wins. (That was my Count impression. Don't laugh at me!)

I'm loving this streak as well...I know it's got to end sometime, but they are just playing out of their minds right now!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #206
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens, Rangers continue pursuit of Flyers
Sunday, 11.28.2010 / 4:50 PM Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

PENGUINS (15-8-2) at RANGERS (14-10-1)

TV: FS-P (HD), MSG (HD)

Last 10: Pittsburgh 8-1-1; New York 7-3-0

Season series: This is the second of six meetings between the clubs this season. The first one was a thriller won by the Rangers in overtime, 3-2, on Nov. 15.

Big Story -- Both Atlantic Division teams are playing well yet neither can catch the red-hot Flyers. This is the first time they've seen each other since that fantastic finish in Pittsburgh two weeks ago. Chris Kunitz scored the tying goal with 2:31 left in regulation and Matt Cooke gave the Penguins the lead 38 seconds later. Pittsburgh went on a power play right after Cooke's goal when Henrik Lundqvist whacked his stick over the crossbar and received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. However, Rangers defenseman Marc Staal managed to slither in a shorthanded goal with 1:26 to play and then Ryan Callahan won it for the Blueshirts in overtime on a fantastic 2-on-1 with Brandon Dubinsky.

Team Scope:

Penguins -- Six years into his career and Sidney Crosby has arguably never been better. Crosby is on pace for his best season ever and he enters Monday leading the NHL with 40 points on 18 goals and 22 assists. He recorded his first hat trick of the season and sixth of his career in Saturday's 4-1 win over Calgary. He nearly had four goals, but he missed on a penalty shot in the first period. Crosby's second goal Saturday was the 200th of his career. He's simply on fire, and not coincidentally so is his team. Crosby has 12 goals and 13 assists for 25 points during his current 12 game point streak.

"An elite-level player like him has great creativity in his game and a tremendous skill set," Calgary coach Brent Sutter said of Crosby following Saturday's game. "It's because of his work ethic, and how hard he plays every shift."

Rangers -- The Rangers return home winners of four of their last five games. The big thing about the wins in Florida and Nashville over the weekend was that Henrik Lundqvist got his act together. Lundqvist was struggling with a personal three game losing streak heading into the game against the Panthers, but he made 40 saves for the shutout in Sunrise, Fla. and another 29 saves in a 2-1 shootout victory in the Music City. Lundqvist was perfect against three Nashville shooters in the skills competition.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself (in shootouts) because I want to help the team get that extra point," Lundqvist said. "Last season showed that extra point can be huge. To come up with all three stops in the shootout felt really good for me."

Who's Hot -- Penguins defenseman Kris Letang picked up three assists in Saturday's win and now has 18 on the season and 22 points. Rangers forward Ryan Callahan scored his second goal in as many games Saturday after going five games without a goal. Callahan's last goal prior to scoring in Florida was the OT winner in Pittsburgh two weeks ago.

Injury Report -- The Penguins are still waiting for Jordan Staal (broken hand) to get on the ice this season. He's at least on the mend for the second time. The Rangers are still without Chris Drury (finger) and Vinny Prospal (knee). Michal Rozsival returned Saturday after sitting out nine games, but Marian Gaborik missed the game in Nashville with the flu. They're hoping he's fine for Monday's game at MSG.

Stat Pack -- Lundqvist on Saturday improved to 31-21 for his career in games decided by a shootout. … The Rangers' power play is 41 for 45 (91.1 percent) in the last 13 games. Their record over that time is 8-5-0. … The Penguins have allowed only four goals in their last four games and entered Sunday ranked fifth in the NHL in goals against (2.36).

Puck Drop -- Rangers coach John Tortorella reportedly talked with the team prior to Saturday's game in Nashville about fighting through fatigue. The message got through as the team did just enough to pick up two points despite playing their third road game in four nights.

"We talked about it in our (pregame) meeting that if we want to get to where we want to be at the end of the year, this is the kind of game -- last of a road trip, coming off a big win, played a lot of games in this stretch here -- we have to find a way to win," Tortorella said. "These are the points at the end of the year that kill you if you don't get them. It was a good gut-check for us in getting points that we needed to get."
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #207
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens beat Rangers for seventh straight win
Monday, 11.29.2010 / 10:52 PM Dan Rosen - NHL.com Columnist
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

NEW YORK -- At least Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma is sane enough to not be all that superstitious when a team is on a run like his is right now.

"I change my underwear," Bylsma joked.

Phew. We're all happy about that, Dan.

The usually stoic (when the cameras are rolling) Bylsma can happily crack a few jokes and smiles these days because his team is rolling.

Pittsburgh's 3-1 win over the Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Monday was its seventh in a row. Sidney Crosby ran his point streak to 13 games with the primary assist on Kris Letang's goal in the second period, Marc-Andre Fleury made 25 saves for his sixth straight win and Pittsburgh's top-ranked penalty kill was 3-for-3, making it 32 kills in a row.

The Penguins haven't allowed a power-play goal in nine consecutive games. They're now in a virtual tie for first place in the Atlantic Division with the Philadelphia Flyers.

"You get the feeling, and the penalty kill is a sense of that, that our guys know what they're doing when they go over the boards," Bylsma said. "They know their roles, they know how we're going to play and they're buying into it."

Crosby, who has 26 points during his 13-game streak and leads the NHL with 41 this season, said the consistency the Penguins played with Monday is indicative of how they've been playing over their run. They're 9-0-1 in their last 10 games.

"Yeah, all the way through, from Marc all the way out," Crosby said. "Consistency is huge. There are games you're going to play well and still not win because there are good teams and everything is so close, but we're giving ourselves a chance by the way we play and tonight we did that again."

Pittsburgh scored the first goal for the fifth time in their last seven games when Maxime Talbot converted off a Rangers' turnover 5:10 into the game. Ruslan Fedotenko shoveled the puck with his hand through Marc Staal's legs and it went right to Talbot, who quickly fired a shot that beat Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist (24 saves).

"We're not falling behind," Crosby said in going over reasons why the Penguins have won seven in a row and haven't lost in regulation since Nov. 10. "We're giving ourselves a chance. Again, tonight we get the first goal and the start we want."

Only 75 seconds separated the goals from Kris Letang and Chris Conner goals in the second period.

Letang scored at 12:01 on a one-timer from the left circle thanks to Crosby's slick, cross-circle backhanded pass. Conner ripped a shot from between the hash marks past Lundqvist's blocker after Pascal Dupuis' shot was blocked.

The fact that the Penguins won and Crosby didn't score is also indicative of how balanced they've been lately.

Crosby has scored a goal in four of Pittsburgh's last seven games (6 in total), but nine other Penguins have at least one goal over that stretch. Conner, Talbot, Letang, Arron Asham and Chris Kunitz have two apiece.

"We've been able to win hockey games in different ways and tonight when you talk about where we got the goals from and how we got the goals you start to see we're not depending on the power play or just one person," Bylsma said. "We have a lot of people contributing if the team is playing the right way. That's what you like to see."

The Penguins capped the night with a pair of strong penalty kills in the third period. New York got a combined four shots on goal over the two power plays.

"The penalty kill in the third was outstanding," Bylsma said. "We kept pressure on them, kept the puck on the outside, on the wall. It's five guys acting as one like that and it was a pretty outstanding job."

Marian Gaborik gave the Rangers life when his wrist shot from the left side beat Fleury, but the Rangers needed to make something happen on the power play in the third and they couldn't.

"We have to find a way to bury one of those," Brandon Dubinsky said. "We have to find a goal from our power play and our best guys out there, or at least get some big chances and some momentum. We didn't find either of those.'

The Penguins wouldn't let them.

Seven wins in a row, 32 straight successful penalty kills, 13 consecutive games in which the captain has a point and six victories in six starts for the goalie -- it's a wonder they're willing to talk about it all.

"I don't ignore things and I do change my underwear," Bylsma reiterated. "At least, I tell you I do."
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #208
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Boston shutout Philthy last night...so a win against Atlanta for the Pens tonight would not only extend their streak to 8 games in a row, but put them in the division lead and 2 points behind the Caps for the Conference lead.

It's going to be a tough one though...Atlanta is on a 6 game win streak right now and Byfulgien is on quite a tear right now.

Here's to a good win tonight and more of Philthy crashing and burning!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #209
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens did indeed win again tonight to keep the win streak (at 8 now) alive. Crosby scored all 3 goals to get another hat trick and keep his point streak alive. He is now leading in points and tied with Stamkos for the lead in goals.

Pens also took a 2pt lead in the division today so that is very good as well.

Only dark spot tonight was Atlanta scoring a PP goal and ending the PK streak at 32. Hard to be very upset at that though!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #210
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens play tonight at 7 against Columbus. Could be a very tough game...they are one of the top teams in the west right now.

Talbot had a minor scare the other day in practice when he blocked a shot and bruised his foot...but he's been skating this morning and is probable to play.

Gotta root for Jersey (playing Philly) and Atlanta (playing Washington) today too. If we lose, then at least we won't go down in the ranking...if we win then we'll be tied for the conference lead if the Craps lose!
Closed Thread