Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #221
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

I'm still reeling from the game last night...but the Pens play the Devils tonight and hope to continue their streak to 10 games.

Guerin (who as mentioned in the above story) retired as a Pen and will be honored tonight. Geno is not on the ice for the morning skate, so I'm guessing it's pretty doubtful that he will play tonight again.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #222
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Geno is not on the ice for the morning skate, so I'm guessing it's pretty doubtful that he will play tonight again.
He's trying to get his phone fixed

[YOUTUBE]mcsD3p7bX-c[/YOUTUBE]
Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #223
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
He's trying to get his phone fixed

[YOUTUBE]mcsD3p7bX-c[/YOUTUBE]
Haha...I love that!

"Anozer day at zee office"
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #224
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

They had a nice send off for Billy G tonight before the game. His son has a serious fro going on...it's too cute!

[youtube]PXyd6YaJLjY[/youtube]
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #225
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Loved the hair on that kid too.

Great night for Billy G and another win. Ten in a row and Sid is on fire.

Geno getting back in the lineup hopefully soon and Staalsy is starting to get close to coming back too.

It's only gonna get better.

And 4x, it's great to see you back posting!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #226
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Report: 12/7/10
Tuesday, 12.07.2010 / 10:43 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=545601

TUESDAY FINAL THOUGHTS…
  • New “Mustache Boy” for December (11:55 AM).
  • No Malkin at practice, lines (11:05 AM).
  • Pens fans have been unreal in their support of Letang for the All-Star Game (2:16 PM). (He is first in D-men)
  • Brent Johnson’s helmet cam, courtesy of HBO (11:08 AM).
  • Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham visited practice (1:29 PM).
  • Coach Bylsma on Malkin’s injury, the winning streak and Toronto (1:50 PM).
  • Words of wisdom from Orpik, Crosby (1:45 PM) and Fleury, Dupuis (1:27 PM).
2:16 PM:
ROCK THE VOTE!!! Pens fans voices are being heard!!!

1:50 PM:
A long one today from Bylsma's media conference.

Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma…

On resting Evgeni Malkin:
It’s day-to-day, but yes, the logic is that instead of continuing to deal with a nagging injury, it’s better to get healthy.

On if being in first place in the league is vindication of his early confidence
:
We don’t try to establish our game and our team and our identity of how we’re going to play so I can have vindication. That’s for sure. But every season, you have to have that process with your team. You have to go through those steps. There’s always going to be adversity. There’s always going to be some kind of story that provides some adversity for your team or players. That section of games when we lost – like Dallas and Anaheim, then coming back home and playing Boston and New York – there was some adversity there. This isn’t the first time this has happened to our team or me as a coach. So hopefully, you know you’re heading in the right direction and you know you’re establishing how you’re going to win games and your identity. Part of those difficult times is learning some of those lessons. We’re only about 30-games deep. So we still have a long way to go as a team and tough games to play. We have more than a majority of the season to go.

On how the team keeps focus during a streak like this:
There are a lot of things that seem to be in question when we play a hockey game – the referee, bounces – you can feel susceptible to that at times. You can feel like you played a good game, but they shoot a puck 25 feet away on the power play, they flub the shot and it hits a guy in the hand and drops down and he scores a goal, you can throw your hands in the air and say “What can we do about that?” That can be disheartening. But we want to play the game in a way where we don’t worry about those kinds of things. We don’t worry about the referee, we don’t worry about bounces. We don’t worry about the other team getting a lead or a goal off the side of the net. We want to play a certain way where we can take those bounces and plays out of it. If we play that way, we’re not going to win every game, but we feel like that’s the way we can play. When the team executes that way, we minimize the other team’s chances to have success and we maximize our chances. We call that a 70-30 game and that’s the way we want to play.

On if that takes the opponent’s game out of the equation:
That’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to play in such a way that it doesn’t matter if the roof caves in, if it’s at home, on the road or the referee. We don’t leave things to chance.

On if bad habits creep into players’ games during winning streaks
:
Like I said yesterday, there are more worries now about things like that – about habits, about details – than when we started this when I felt like our team was doing a lot of good things and we just needed to make some adjustments. Right now, yes, there’s that considered in a lot of the stuff that we do in practice. A lot of the focus is staying on our game and keeping attention to details in how we play.

On Crosby’s goal Monday night:
My brother usually sends me a text after games. And in three out of the last four, he sent me a text during the game saying “you’ll watch that replay over again.” This last one, he said, “I know I said this two other times, but you’re going to watch this replay over again.” It’s pretty amazing. When you have guys on our bench that look at each other and shake their heads and say, “Did you see that,” it’s a pretty special play. And with the speed and ease that it looks when we all know that it’s not easy if you’ve ever donned skates, it’s an amazing full speed play. It shouldn’t come as a surprise because we keep getting texts to watch the replay again.

On when a hockey player reaches his prime:
I don’t know when the prime is. You can talk about what the prime physical condition of an athlete is and what those ages are, doctors can do that. But I feel like I’m always trying to get better no matter what I’m doing. And Sidney Crosby is always trying to get better no matter what age he’s at. He may play the game differently at different points in his career and that may mean his numbers are better. I don’t know what that’s going to mean, but he’s always trying to get better and if he gets to the point where he’s playing at an older age, he’s still going to be trying to get better, to add and learn and maybe do things a little bit differently. He’s in that process now, and I think he’ll do that right until the end. He seems to have found a new consistency to his level that’s unique for him. Maybe that’s him getting to his prime, but I know that he’s going to keep working to get better.

On Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek:
We did feel early in the season and in training camp that pairing them with a guy who maybe had a better understanding of the system and who knew some of the words we were talking about and what we were looking for on the ice was better. But after Z came back from his injury, pairing them together is almost like we have two shutdown pairs now. They fit together real well, with the defensive style where Martin carries the puck and holds on to the puck a little bit more. And Kris Letang has that same aspect in the pairing with Brooks Orpik. Sometimes it’s a work in progress with them playing together, but it’s worked well for both of them. They have settled in and they are a big part of us playing better defensively.

On if Toronto creates a different environment in Pittsburgh:
I’m not going to get into mystical talk about what they do in our city and what spell they cast. But they assert certain challenges. And again, we want to try to take out the elements of the game that are out of our control. We want to be aware of what they do and consider where they’re dangerous and where they’ve been successful, but we’re also going to try to eliminate what they do well and still get to our game. We want to take their game out of it and change the game in our favor.

On if he’s ever seen a player do as well as Crosby is right now:
He’s making a lot of special plays and it seems to be every night. I think the unique part about this situation right now is the consistency at which he’s there. His highlight reel is long, but the consistency with which he’s playing, there’s no cheat, there’s no holes, there’s no ‘on his own page.’ It’s within the structure of our team and how we want to play. And he seems to be finding that consistently night in and night out right now. That’s the uniqueness of what we’re seeing right now.

Shorthanded goal: Tony Jovenitti

1:45 PM:
More sounds from the locker room...

Brooks Orpik

Sidney Crosby

1:29 PM:
Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham was in attendance for the Penguins practice today. He got to see the locker room and met up with fellow Bowling Green alum Dan Bylsma.

1:27 PM:
Sounds heard around the locker room...

Marc-Andre Fleury

Pascal Dupuis

11:55 AM:
The Pens just finished up the December "Mustache Boy" shootout. The final three were Mark Letestu, Paul Martin and Deryk Engelland.

Letestu tallied first - leaving Martin and Engelland. The two traded chances, but couldn't score. Finally, Engelland beat Fleury with a nice stick move. Martin had his chance to tie and force another round. As he got to the crease he dove to the ice, pushed the puck to his stick and tried to bat it in. However, he missed wide.

Ladies and gentlemen, December "Mustache Boy" is Paul Martin.

Here are some pics from the mustache boy shootout:

Ben Lovejoy watches the contest from the penalty box

Paul Martin misses the shot (left) and skates back with a little extra hair on his lip

11:12 AM:

Coach Bylsma (left); Brent Johnson (right)

Bylsma takes shots before practice with HBO cameras lurking

HBO is in the house!

11:08 AM:

HBO is filming today for the "24/7 Pens-Caps: Road to the Winter Classic" series. Brent Johnson is wearing a camera on the side of his mask for practice. It's pretty awkward looking, but it should provide some good footage for the "Mustache Boy" shootout contest at the end of practice.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #227
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Penguins star Evgeni Malkin will miss a third straight game with an injured knee.

Malkin did not participate in the morning skate and was ruled out of tonight's game against Toronto by coach Dan Bylsma.

The Penguins are looking to extend their winning streak to 11 games.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_712808.html
Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #228
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens win their 11th straight game tonight against the Leafs with a score of 5-2. Goals came from Crosby (2), Letestu (2) and Dupuis (shorthanded).

Crosby now has 20 goals and 35 points in 17 straight games, and if he keeps this pace up, could be on his way to having 50 goals (or more) in 50 games (or less). He leads in goals (26) and points (50) and has 24 assists (2nd place behind H. Sedin who has 27).

Here's the shot of the nights, and the 4 fights that took place this evening.

[YOUTUBE]iJg7gEN0Kv8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eq1m12Wr9qM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]OEi6KkaZLWM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7waxx0mUyNA[/YOUTUBE]
Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #229
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins embrace fighting
By Josh Yohe, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 10, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

Mario Lemieux had Jay Caufield.

Wayne Gretzky had Dave Semenko.

Sidney Crosby has an entire team.

Protecting superstars is as old as hockey, and perhaps for the first time all season, an opposing team started taking liberties with Crosby in the Penguins' 5-2 win over Toronto on Wednesday.

An army of Penguins made sure it wouldn't be tolerated.

"You've got to protect your players," Penguins left wing Mike Rupp said. "That's what we do."

Protecting stars like Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, in fact, is something the Penguins seem to have enthusiasm for.

When Crosby is targeted like he was against Toronto, the entire squad notices.

"With the guys we've got in here," defenseman Deryk Engelland said, "everyone is always on alert if someone goes after Sid."

Eric Godard is the team's unofficial enforcer and was one of four Penguins to drop the gloves against the Maple Leafs. But he wasn't alone.

Engelland, Arron Asham and Rupp also took their turn in whaling on Toronto players, some of whom clearly took runs at Crosby. Even Colby Armstrong, a former teammate and close friend of Crosby's, attempted one of his patented, blind-side hits on Crosby in the first period.

Crosby retaliated by taking a penalty, but his teammates made it clear the captain need not use his million dollar hands for anything other than scoring goals.

"When you go into a building and you've got four or five guys who can fight," Rupp said of the Penguins, "It usually keeps guys on their heels. That's what we bring to the table this year."

GM Ray Shero has assembled one of the NHL's toughest teams. Although Crosby and Malkin are the players most around the league identify the Penguins with, a clear element of toughness has become synonymous with this team. The Penguins lead the NHL with 32 fighting majors, and most of those battles have been one-sided.

It has become apparent that the Penguins don't just fight for fighting's sake, but rather, prefer to send a message in those altercations.

"We're protecting anyone on this team," Asham said. "We've got a group of guys who really care about each other. We won't let anyone take liberties on us, especially on Sid and Geno."

With the Penguins leading the Maple Leafs, 4-0, Wednesday, Toronto's Jay Rosehill took a run at Crosby. Godard happened to be on the ice at the time of this incident, and less than a minute later, Rosehill was leaving the ice with blood dripping from his face.

Point taken.

"We've got three legit heavyweights on this team with Godsy, Rupper and Engel," Asham said. "And then you've got guys like me, Max (Talbot) and (Matt) Cookie, guys who aren't afraid to be physical and fight. It's just a great mix."

Protecting stars is an old NHL practice, and right now, there is no bigger star than Crosby. With Malkin currently out of the lineup with a knee injury, teams can completely focus their efforts defensively — and physically — on the NHL's leading scorer.

The plan didn't work for the Maple Leafs, and future opponents might be wise to avoid engaging in fisticuffs with Dan Bylsma's team.

"It's probably not a good idea to even try against our team," Bylsma said.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #230
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Report: Practice 12/10/10
Friday, 12.10.2010 / 10:35 AM / Penguins Report
By Michelle Crechiolo
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Evgeni Malkin will be on the ice for Saturday's morning skate at HSBC Arena (12:36 PM).
Coach Bylsma gave an update on the injury status of Jordan Staal (12:59 PM).

1:49 PM:
Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma...

On the status of Paul Martin:
Another maintenance day. He is best served not to be on the ice today. He’ll be out there (Saturday).

On how the team matches up with Buffalo in terms of their defensive play:
I always find Buffalo to be a dangerous team to play against. Their D is really active in their offense, always joining the rush, which they do extremely well. But they’re also active in the offensive zone, back on the blue line and also coming down in the slot area. I always feel like they’re a dangerous team to play against because they can score goals from down there and it does pose some problems. So we have to take care of the puck, track back and deal with that, and also be good in our defensive zone. When we have been, it has given us chances to get to our game. I always feel like playing them, it’s going to be how we manage the puck and how we can deal with their D, who can be dangerous. If we can get to the offensive zone, we can make their D play defense, which we need to do.

On Jordan Staal’s recovery timeline:
Jordan continues to progress in the timeline that we had before. He’s scheduled for another x-ray next week after having the pin taken out. Over the last week or so, there was calcification in the bone. We need to continue to see that next week during his scheduled x-ray. He’ll keep rehabbing on his current course.

On a report that there was a setback:
If you’re referencing an Internet report that said there was another break, then that is not true. He’s continuing on the same course. He has the pin out. There is calcification and we have another scheduled x-ray. We hope to continue seeing the healing that’s already taking place. He’s on that rehab program.

On the status of Evgeni Malkin:
Geno is significantly better than we had hoped and planned, and he’ll be on the ice with us (Saturday) at the morning skate.
Closed Thread