Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #231
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Penguins try to make it a dozen as they face Sabres
Friday, 12.10.2010 / 6:43 PM Sergei J. Feldman - NHL.com Staff Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

PENGUINS (20-8-2) at SABRES (12-13-4)

TV -- FS-P (HD), MSG-B (HD)

Last 10 -- Pittsburgh 10-0-0; Buffalo 5-4-1

Season Series -- This is the second of four meetings between the two original Winter Classic guinea pigs. The Penguins came out on top Nov. 24 with a 1-0 victory against the Sabres. Pascal Dupuis scored the game's only goal, while Marc-Andre Fleury recorded a 30-save shutout.

Big Story -- No shortage of streaks will be on the line when the two teams meet, as the Penguins aim to claim their 12th consecutive victory, while captain Sidney Crosby looks to extend his points streak to 18 games. The Sabres are in the midst of a three-game homestand and look to ride the momentum from a 6-3 victory against the Sharks on Thursday night.

Team Scope:

Penguins -- In addition to the superb play of Crosby and Fleury during the team's current hot streak, the Penguins have relied upon contributions from role players and effective special teams. Forward Chris Kunitz is in the midst of a quiet four-game points streak, while third-liners Mark Letestu, Chris Conner and Tyler Kennedy have done nothing but keep opponents pinned in their own zone. The recent team success has come with a banged up Evgeni Malkin, who has missed the past three games, and Jordan Staal, who hasn't played all season.

"We still have a long way to go to get to where we think we can be," coach Dan Bylsma said. "I think with the mindset that we have, the players we have, we go over the boards every game thinking we can dictate the game and the pace."

Sabres -- Riding a 4-1-1 streak, the Sabres are no pushover. Hungry to climb back into Eastern Conference contention (they currently sit in ninth place), the Sabres can use their stretch of December home games to do just that. Jason Pominville has points in four of his past five games to help stabilize the Sabres' balanced attack, led by sniper Thomas Vanek and his 4 goals in the past four games.

Coach Lindy Ruff liked what he saw from his team offensively against the Sharks saying, "We got six (goals) and we could have had more."

Who's hot -- Crosby, Kunitz, defenseman Kris Letang and Fleury have been lights-out for the Penguins during their winning streak, while Vanek and Pominville have been holding the fort for the Sabres of late, as goalie Ryan Miller has allowed three goals in three of his past five starts.

Injury Report -- Malkin is slated to take the morning skate prior to the drop of the puck against the Sabres before deciding whether he will play or not. He is bothered by a knee injury that has been day-to-day. … Drew Stafford and Tim Connolly are both doubtful against the Penguins with upper-body and groin injuries, respectively.

Stat Pack -- Crosby's 50 points through 30 games makes him the first player to accomplish that feat since 2002-03, when former landlord and current team owner Mario Lemieux did the same.

Puck Drop -- Crosby is 4 assists shy of being the League leader in goals, assists and points. … Buffalo's six goals against the Sharks were their most scored in a home game this season as the Sabres to climb to a .500 record on the year.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 12-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #232
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Early in the first period and we already have two goals.

I'm on delay, had to record the game, so anyone that chimes in don't tell me the final score!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #233
Shea
Head Coach

Football and hockey have in common the confusion and WTF for fans on what is and isn't a penalty.

It's bite butting annoying!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #234
Shea
Head Coach

I'm missing seeing Geno play.

I know he's catching heat for not producing points, but I'm not bothered by that. He's just not getting the bounces.

Dude is still making plays, it's just a matter of time when he'll get rewarded for it.

He's gotta get healthy again though.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #235
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I'm missing seeing Geno play.

I know he's catching heat for not producing points, but I'm not bothered by that. He's just not getting the bounces.

Dude is still making plays, it's just a matter of time when he'll get rewarded for it.

He's gotta get healthy again though.
He was skating today, but ended up not playing. He should be back pretty soon though.

Staal has had a setback though...and while Bylsma refuted reports of him re-fracturing his hand, it appears the found "calcification of the bone" where they removed the pin. He is now scheduled for X-rays next week instead of returning to practice...so who knows when he'll be back at this point.

From what I've been reading though, it seems the team is more worried about him mentally (being away from hockey and the team) than anything else.

Quote:
What worries Orpik is that the 22-year-old Staal is single and comes from a hockey family, so there aren't many distractions.

Orpik said many of the Penguins have reached out to Staal.

"When you're hurt and the team's struggling, you do have the feeling where you try to rush yourself back a little bit and help out," said Orpik, who missed a six-game stretch earlier this season. "You feel like you're not really part of things. You're coming in and skating earlier. You're on a different schedule, a different page than everyone. You're not traveling. From that standpoint, it can be tough. He lives here by himself; it's not like he's got kids to take his mind off things. He probably watches a lot of hockey, too, and he's got his three brothers playing, so he's probably always hearing about it from them. I'm sure it's been really hard for him.

"It's really just bad luck, to be honest."

Tyler Kennedy, Staal's road roommate and one of his closest friends on the team, echoed those sentiments and said that Staal is "pretty strong mentally."

"I've talked to him, and right from Day One, he's always been positive," Kennedy said. "That's why he's such a good leader. He shows other guys that if you get hurt, you have to stay positive and work hard.

"It sucks for him that he's hurt, but what are you going to do? Everyone gets hurt. You've got to deal with what happens to you. It's part of life, and I think he's dealing with it pretty good."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #236
Shea
Head Coach

Mom ..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Jordan has paid enough of a price, getting his foot finally healed up, and then breaking his hand in a freak practice accident.

I miss him, he means a lot to the team. Please God let him be alright and in the line up soon.

I feel for him, just as a fan I miss seeing him on the ice, I can only imagine what he is going thru.

For Jordan ----->
Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #237
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Yeah I know...best not to rush him at this point though. I just hope he's back for the Winter Classic at this point...it'd be a shame if he missed that.

So how are you enjoying the game? I'm trying to bite my tongue and not give any spoilers.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #238
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Yeah I know...best not to rush him at this point though. I just hope he's back for the Winter Classic at this point...it'd be a shame if he missed that.

So how are you enjoying the game? I'm trying to bite my tongue and not give any spoilers.
Just about to start the third period.

So far so good, but maybe Sid's consecutive points streak is in jeopardy.

I'm wondering if it ends tonight then maybe it will get him to shave that pathetic mustache!

Hope he makes something happen though, funky facial hair I can definitely live with.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #239
Shea
Head Coach

Oh and I agree. Definitely want to see Staalsy skating on Heinz field.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #240
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Sid is very sad that you do not love his 'stache.

Closed Thread